The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Reno911toSF

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 11:30 am
@barrythemod,
Born into This" the Charles Bukowski Documentary
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 11:38 pm
Just watched "Safe" - a Jason Staitham action movie. I went into it expecting a B movie with maybe a little basic shoot-em-up entertainment value.

It ended up being a pretty good action movie. For anyone who is entertained by a lot of martial arts fight scenes and a high body count, this is a good bet. Also, there was some appealing human drama involving a little genius Asian girl, and there was a twist at the end that made both me and my wife go "Wow!, I didn't expect that!"
0 Replies

annkoo

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:24 pm
@barrythemod,
RAZZ3
0 Replies

Editusrex

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:07 pm
Going back through some movies I enjoyed with my mah. Put in Streetcar Named Desire -- a few hours by myself meant, fortunately, a big-person movie for once (although I would watch Up and Toy Story a billion times). Much of Tennessee Williams translated so well onto the screen.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 05:04 pm
@Editusrex,
On my day off I went to see the highly underappreciated ParaNorman 3D (2012) before it left the movie theaters this or next week.
Builder

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 11:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
I watched Transformers last nite. Was surprisingly good.
0 Replies

Editusrex

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 07:02 pm
As Good As It Gets ... Jack Nicholson pulls off the endearing-but-slightly-off-
kilter really well.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 07:05 pm
@Editusrex,
I saw "Hancock" the other day.

made me realize that if I was a superhero that could fly, folks in tall buildings everywhere would live in fear...

oops. sorry, my bad. I was fixing my hair. or had an itch. just let me call a construction crew for ya...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 05:02 pm
Watched "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel". A British comedy with a veteran ensemble cast including Dame Judith Densch, Maggie Smith and Tom Atkinson. Really good, heartwarming story.
djjd62

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 05:28 pm
@snood,
plan on watching that in the next few days

just watched the third episode (movie length tv episode) of the new season of George Gently, such a great show, sadly only one more episode to go, and then a whole year to wait (hoping there is a sixth season next year)
0 Replies

airlinestroot

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 01:21 am
Last film I saw was 'Magic Mike', it was entertaining, but there was no strong story line. It was more for the masses, instead of classes.
Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 09:01 am
@airlinestroot,
I was unfortunate enough to sit through Antichrist with Willem Defoe directed by Lars Von Trier last night.

What a pile of silly crap. Over the top goriness for no apparent reason other than to shock and induce vomiting. **** storyline. This film was so desperate to be strange and surreal but was just plain boring in reality.

Don't bother with it. Really.
rosejasmin56

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 01:14 am
I mostly watch movies on TV so, I recently watch Iron Man 2 on TV....Awesome suit take by Iron Man..Like the graphics...
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:47 am
@Dorothy Parker,
Quote:
What a pile of silly crap...This film was so desperate to be strange and surreal but was just plain boring in reality.

You summed up how I felt both during and after watching Lars Von Trier's Melancholia which I saw about a week ago. This one was about two sisters dealing with the impending destruction of the earth by a rogue planet named, of course, Melancholia. Overly pretentious, and often incoherent, and I am at a loss as to why some major critics praised this nonsense.

In an act of sheer masochism, I was determined to see it through to the end, and, when it was over, I felt both relieved and annoyed that I had wasted my time.

Unless you are a devoted fan of this director, I'd suggest people skip this one.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 11:59 am
@firefly,
I have the opposite opinion of Melancholia myself. Incredible shot with Oscar deserving acting. It's a not every film needs to have a happy ending where quick witted action heroes save the day at the last second. IT was my biggest disappointment last year when they were shut out from the Oscars because Lars Von Trier made one stupid mistake with his Hitler quote months before the award nominations.

One of my favorite movies I seen last year.
firefly

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2012 12:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Different strokes for different folks, tsar. I'm glad you enjoyed the film.

0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 09:22 am
@firefly,
I suspect he (the director) is having a laugh at our expense. I can imagine him sat at his big desk in his tastefully decorated study thinking "let's see... what crazy nonsense can I get people to pay to watch (maybe even critically acclaim) this time?

I also suspect the Hitler comment was deliberate and just a predictable way to stir up a little controversial publicity.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 08:14 pm
I watched Paths of Glory (Kirk Douglas) tonight. First time for me. I liked it very much.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2012 05:43 am
over the weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving) watched these films
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - good film, great cast

Gallipoli - love this film ever since first seeing it 30 years ago

Whale Rider - had a bit of a down under film fest, great film, must have got something in my eye now and again, it was sort of watering Crying or Very sad

National Lampoon's Vacation - nice to end the holiday with a laugh
jcboy

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 06:26 am
@djjd62,
The other night we watched Prometheus on PPV. This film will go down as one of the worse movies I’ve ever seen. It was so bad I’m actually thinking of writing Ridley Scott a letter and ask him if I can have a refund because his film stunk so bad.