The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

eoe

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 07:26 am
The other night, I watched "Maverick" with Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster and James Garner. Alot of fun.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:12 am
That is one of the better remakes from a TV show. You could tell every actors was having a good time, instead of detecting that "cringe, why am I in this movie?"
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 09:39 am
Mr. Bean .... Who is misunderstood as a professor of Paintings in a new museum ....

He always makes u laugh.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 03:58 am
Last weekend I saw Species III (Crap, not requiring any intellectual activity, specially selected for the Friday night when I am worn out) and The Fog of War (a very interesting documentary about the life and times of Robert McNamara; he has interesting things to say and even more interesting things to keep quiet about).
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 08:33 am
This weekend I did "V for Vendetta" (2005), a smooth production, although I did not get how blowing up the symbol of democracy would somehow restore democracy. Guy Fawkes is presented as some kind of freedom fighter when in fact he was part of a plot that wanted to restore absolute Catholic rule as in the reign of Bloody Mary. I got the definite impression that a lot of background from the original script was left out.

I also saw "Babel" (2006) which was quite a good film. It reminded me of the Finnish film Paha Maa (2005) in which one bad act sets in motion a train of tragic events.

*** Warning Spoilers ahead ***

What I wondered about, but did not get from the film was whether the Japanes mother had killed herself with the Winchester rifle that played a role later on in Morocco. This would tie the series of unfortunate events together for me, i.e. the (assumed) lack of communication in the relationship of the Japanese couple leads the mother to shoot herself, the father gives away the gun on his hunting trip, because he does not want to have the rifle anymore, the guide sells the gun, the boys use it to shoot at the bus (with the sad results it has for their family), the US couple cannot return home in time, so the nanny must find a way to balance her responsabilities towards the US kids and her own son, the bad luck that befalls them does not follow directly from the gun story line, but does continue the tragic train of events started with the death of Cheiko's mother. Anyway, that is my take on it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 09:22 am
watched five episodes of larry david's "curb your enthusiasm" - we were exhausted and will watch the next five episodes tonight .
he's CRAZY , man ! he can certainly start AND lose an argumant on just about any subject :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 01:13 pm
Oh! I cannot stand him! Evil or Very Mad
But i guess that's his charm.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 01:40 pm
eoe wrote :

Quote:
Oh! I cannot stand him!
But i guess that's his charm.

you are right on - he does grate after a few episodes , but i think his "non-acting" Laughing is pretty superb .
hbg
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 04:42 am
As recommended earlier,(sorry,forgot who by),I got hold of The World's Fastest Indian and I'm real glad I did.This is one of those films I call "nice",it won't offend anyone,unless you're a real prude and live with your head in the sand.

For 25 years,the Director Ronald Donaldson wanted to make this tribute to Burt Munro,a guy who had a motor-cycle designed to do a top speed of 50mph.
For over 40 years,Burt "tinkered" with his Indian in his garden shed,and at the age of nearly 70,he sets out from his New Zealand home to the salt flats of Bonneville,USA,to see how fast his bike will go.
The rest is history.
Hopkins finds the humour and determination of this "deaf old geezer",who overcomes his "bad ticker" and swollen prostate to beat the odds.
BTW.....his 3 records still stand Very Happy

A cracking film for a lazy Sunday afternoon.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 12:50 pm
watched the 2-cd(four part) british "the beiderbecke connection" with barbara flynn and james bolam in what is called a "comedy mystery" .
great fun to be back in the late 80's great britain - "living together" without benefit of marriage was still being considered somewhat modern - particularly since the couple had a child AND also were teachers - how times have changed :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 07:35 pm
I didn't join in on the filmfest the hamburgers and Setanta had on the weekend. I kept falling asleep about the time they really got rolling (and wasn't really in the right kind of mood for fiction, in any case).

I did watch Bombay Calling with them, and really enjoyed it. Explained a lot of what my colleagues who came here from India in the past decade are talking about, in terms of work stressors in India.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 06:10 pm
Haven't seen an Asian horror for ages so when I saw that there was an un-cut Special Edition of Ichi The Killer,I got out the plastic and it landed on my doormat on Friday.

"All events and characters in this film are entirely sick.Any resembelance to persons living or dead is a sad coincidence."

The story...A top mobster vanishes,along with 3 million Yen,so his number 2 sets out to find him.Sound's simple doesn't it.Not so.This number 2 loves inflicting pain on anyone who gets in his way,just as much as he loves pain inflicted on himself.Eventually he's on the trail of a killer named Ichi,who,in reality,is a helpless cry-baby who becomes the ultimate killer,dressed in a second-rate super hero costume,but only when under hypnotic orders from a vengeful rival.
Director Takashi Miike is famous for pushing the limits,and this film is no exception.Here's some of the gore you can expect......rooms full of bodies so mangled and dismembered that the blood drips from the ceiling;slicing of tongues and other parts of the body;brutal beatings.But I'll leave the extra-special stuff for you to see for yourself.
Oops,forgot to mention that this is also a black comedy,kind of tongue in cheek humour.(think Evil Dead).
This is a film for "gore-hounds" only.There is a choice of English subtitles plus a dubbed English track.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 02:56 am
My husband got the movie 'Beerfest'.
It was quite funny, once I got the hang of it!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 03:00 am
Apocolypse Now, utter crap.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 08:36 pm
We watched "Entrapment" with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Sean Connery tonight. I liked it the first time we saw it years ago. Frivolous fun. Never got a clear idea where their relationship was heading but perhaps that was intended by the writers.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 05:00 am
material girl wrote:
Apocolypse Now, utter crap.

You don't think it had a few redeeming moments here & there, mg?
The helicopters? The music? The crazy paranoid atmosphere? I agree that it was a bit of a disappointment, after all the build up, to conclude with Marlon mumbling something incoherent about "the horror" in a cave, but I think it had something. I'm just not quite certain of what that "something" is!

Now you've got me singing :

This is the end ......
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 06:24 am
I went with my husband to his audio club. They had a meeting at a high end home theatre store. I let the "boys" bullshit, while I watched King Kong on hi-def on an 8 foot wide projection screen. The room had comfy, better than theatre type seats. They had surround sound, with amplifiers and speakers that probably cost more than my house did.

The film was,....................eh, but those effects, wow! It was better than being in a theatre, without the noisy couple in the next row. My husband watched for a little while. It took me the entire trip home to get the drool off his face! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 03:42 am
Another adaptation of a "graphic novel",300 is a kickass story,full of passion and brutality.It's not an historical documentary.It's a story of bravery in the face of impossible odds and of free men standing up to a tyrant.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 03:57 am
Woody Allen's Scoop.

Not funny. No chemistry between the 'romantic' leads and a plot so transparent you could see the Woody's woody.

Joe(pass the popcorn)Nation
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 04:53 am
barrythemod wrote:
Haven't seen an Asian horror for ages so when I saw that there was an un-cut Special Edition of Ichi The Killer,I got out the plastic and it landed on my doormat on Friday.

"All events and characters in this film are entirely sick.Any resembelance to persons living or dead is a sad coincidence."

The story...A top mobster vanishes,along with 3 million Yen,so his number 2 sets out to find him.Sound's simple doesn't it.Not so.This number 2 loves inflicting pain on anyone who gets in his way,just as much as he loves pain inflicted on himself.Eventually he's on the trail of a killer named Ichi,who,in reality,is a helpless cry-baby who becomes the ultimate killer,dressed in a second-rate super hero costume,but only when under hypnotic orders from a vengeful rival.
Director Takashi Miike is famous for pushing the limits,and this film is no exception.Here's some of the gore you can expect......rooms full of bodies so mangled and dismembered that the blood drips from the ceiling;slicing of tongues and other parts of the body;brutal beatings.But I'll leave the extra-special stuff for you to see for yourself.
Oops,forgot to mention that this is also a black comedy,kind of tongue in cheek humour.(think Evil Dead).
This is a film for "gore-hounds" only.There is a choice of English subtitles plus a dubbed English track.

good stuff, completely over the top, i loved it
0 Replies