The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

talk72000

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:05 pm
@plainoldme,
I saw Omar Sharif in Dr. Zhivago and Anna Karenina with Greta Garbo in it. I like watching old movies as they help me understand why some old movie stars were movie stars. I saw the dvd of Dr. Zhivago and it was the tragic accident of the woman, an extra, who fell under the rail car wheels. When I was watching the movies I was shocked and it was only in the features section that I realized it was a real accident. The extra lost her legs. David Lean never directed another movie after that.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 10:07 pm
Just finish watching a very effective creepfest that's this years quasi-zombie flick The Crazies. It's a George Romero produced remake of his own 1973 cult classic of the same title which he directed.

Fairly straightforward in the military done bad, create monsters, poorly mop up their own mess subgenre of the zombie field of horror films but it was well made and well acted.

Haven't seen any other horror films this year other then the financial crisis autopsy Inside Job.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 12:09 am
@talk72000,
I never knew that about David Lean. He must have been wracked with guilt.

I didn't like the movie version of Dr. Zhivago. I had hoped that I would enjoy the televised version more, but, I didn't.

I saw Anna Karenina with Greta Garbo as well. She was amazingly beautiful.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 12:41 pm
Just watched TRUE GRIT.
Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon.
Young Hailee Steinfield was excellent.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyhkJeZXNTJp6OGjShqeKP5hhP5Lpzhsm4sDj9xks4PNOE75TM

eoe

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 09:58 pm
Robert Altman's The Player.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 11:13 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
that's what most critics are saying about this "new" young actress.

gotta go see that movie.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 11:27 pm
@eoe,
I couldn't stand The Player especially Tim Robbin's annoying lead character.

What's your favorite Robert Altman film eoe?
farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 11:59 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
The scene where Bridges falls off his horse to show MAtt Damon what a great shot he is, was a classic scene as a comedic interlude.
Bridges didnt havve to bend the character to fit "The DUke" . He was therefore afforded a lot more freedom than was John Wayne. Agree about the new MAtty, she was great. Also, the language format created another character, I kept waiting to hear how someone would respond to a question or a statement. The language style paced the movie nicely.

I lovd th use of "Leaning on Jesus" as a central musical theme line
aidan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 01:18 am
They had Mary Poppins on tv last night. I watched it with my daughter and was reminded all over again how much I loved those songs - Feed the Birds, Tuppence a bag - Let's go fly a kite- Chim Chim Cheerie- and I love to laugh - Uncle Albert was a wonderful character.

I had forgotten how cute the little guy who played Michael was (Jane was cute too - but being slightly older - not quite on par with Michael) and noticed for the first time what a lovely, soothing speaking voice the actress who played the mother had - also how very bad Dick Van Dyke's English accent was, but also how handsome he was as a young man.
I kept thinking Mary Poppins hair was so lustrous and dark - but then remembered it was probably a wig as Julie Andrews was fair-haired - and I thought - that's a damn good wig - looks real.

Anyway, I remembered again why it was my favorite movie when I was a little girl and why I asked for a Mary Poppins doll for Christmas the year I saw it. It was the music I think - Mary Poppins herself was a little authoritarian and no-nonsense for my taste - I'd have hung out with the mother, and I'd have wanted it to be her voice to sing me to sleep.
But I do wish I still had my Mary Poppins doll with her carpet bag and parasol and flowery hat to show my daughter. I don't know what I did with that.
I kept everything else that was meaningful to me.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:15 am
@tsarstepan,
I liked The Player a lot, which is why I downloaded it from iTunes. That whole Hollywood scene fascinates me to no end. I also liked Nashville, Short Cuts and I really like Cookie's Fortune. Glenn Close was a hoot!

Aidan, one of my fondest memories as a little girl is my mother taking me to see Mary Poppins. Just she and I. We left my two brothers at home.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:35 am
@farmerman,
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCEy2K2FWTBouys7mLTa-eMTVonDM6L1TMLbKpCHdQ7tAsGn1Z
I enjoyed the court room scene, the way the he was being led by the prosecutor.
Answering the defence lawyer, "if it ain't loaded & cocked, it don't shoot" & "I always
go backwards when I'm backing up".
Or when she's dealing with the the horse trader and he looks up with fear in his
eyes and says "wait a minute, are we trading again", funny.
Hanging scene was good, the whole movie was good except I thought it was
maybe a bit thin, hurried at the end. Typical Coen, just like, No Country for old Men.

http://www.movie2k.to/movie-386633-True-Grit-film.html
Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:45 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I watched Cirque du Freak Vampire's Assistant this morning with my daughter. Great film really enjoyed it! Thanks for the recommendation :-)
Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:46 am
@Dorothy Parker,
Is the next one out yet?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 09:54 am
@Dorothy Parker,
Glad you enjoyed it, not sure when Part 2 is coming out,
I'm looking forward to it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 12:20 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Good point about Coen Bros movis coming to staggering endings dictated more by time allotments than real resolution.
The fact that this version of the movie saw it from Matty's POV rather than Roosters made it somewaht satisfying to me when we learn about her life to adult spinsterhood.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 01:06 pm
@farmerman,
I haven't read the novel but I believe it WAS narrated by Mattie.
Still I would have liked to have seen Mattie & Rooster part ways,
John Wayne style & got closure on La Boeuf.
But that said, it has set the bar high for the rest of the movie fare in 2011.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrpitPM2tXEBKvfPSY9bUjXuXUY2dqarytURUSWBDN7DvAa0xe
farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:32 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Yep, the lines she was saying at the end of the movie were about the same as in the book (I saw some parts in Amazon review). I have no desire to read the book as I did when I saw "No Country for Old Men". Both the book and the movie limped to an end. The book actually got confused with itself at the end.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 05:55 pm
@farmerman,
We'll give that a miss, so. Haven't read a great fictional novel in, Jeez seem's ages.
Market seems to be flooded with vampires & wizards (Horror, Teenie bopper style).
Rise again Leon Uris, we need you.
Watched a movie the other day, Denzel Washington was in it, Unstoppable, about a runaway
train, it was ok, not too over the top.

http://www.solarmovie.com/movie/playlink/id/237816/part/1 press play >
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 11:04 pm
Saw an old favorite, Orlando, based on the Virginia Woolf novel. It was as wonderful as it was when I saw it in the theatre.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2011 11:32 pm
Just finished the highly unorthodox Korean murder mystery, Mother (2009) from the director Joon-ho Bong (The Host, Memories of Murder).

A doting and obsessive loving mother of a mentally disabled young man does everything she can to save her son after he is charged with the murder of a teenage girl.

Hye-ja Kim's performance has slid into the fifth slot of my Best Actress performance this year.

Best Actress:
1. Jennifer Lawrence for Winter's Bone;
2. Natalie Portman for Black Swan;
3. Michelle Williams for Blue Valentine;
4. Hye-ja Kim for Mother;
5. Annette Bening for The Kids Are All Right;

Mother scores a 9/10.