The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:10 am
@eurocelticyankee,
ooh never heard of that. Is it in England?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:15 am
@Dorothy Parker,
www.clontarfonline.com
Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:17 am
@eurocelticyankee,
a-ha!
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 08:25 am
@Dorothy Parker,
Nice spot, 5 min's from beach & great park & yet still within 10 min's of city centre.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 04:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I saw Long Live Pakistan and Ican see India getting mired into border problems with Sri Lanka as India first supported the Tamils then deserted them, Nagas of Nagaland. The India that Britain left was bigger than the original India and many tribes want their independence.

http://www.artfilms.com.au/Detail.aspx?ItemID=370&CategoryID=41

It explains how fundamentalism crept in and the partition of India and Pakistan. Jinnah was afraidthat Hindus would discriminateagainst Muslims as there was Hindu-Mulim clashes prior to Independence. After the partition India sent troops to Indian lands with Muslim majority to drive them out and Pakistan also cosidered the same for Kashmir. Kashmir had a Hindu Raja and he was worried about the Muslim militia. He asked for help from India. India's replywas it would only help if he declared to joined India. Kasmir was in Pakistan's side. When the Raja joined India, Indian troops entered Kashmir. Kashmir had a Muslim majority and it went to the U.N. and a referendum or plebiscite was agreed upon but India didn't proceed with it. There was fighting and theline was ceasefire was formed. Pakistan feels cheated. Jinnah died in 1948 a year after independence and the first general Ayub Khan began using Islam to unite the country probably with Saudi money. He also set the military as base of power. There was a war with India and lost over East Bengal. Bhutto came in but he was authoritarian. He rigged the re-election and so was arrested and given teh death sentence by Zia al Hak. He promoted fundamentalism and was later assassinated.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 05:03 pm
@talk72000,
I believe India and Pakistan are going to have border problems for many generations to come. If I remember correctly, the bombing of the Taj Hotel in Mumbai several years ago was done at the behest of Pakistan. I heard about some of the problems with Sri Lanka, but I don't think they're in any position to make too many waves.

I can't view the link you provided, because my speaker isn't working.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 01:52 pm
Just watched Gulliver's Travels with Jack Black. It was ok.
I thought the funniest part was when he wakes up in the doll house.
Other than that it just a way to pass an hour or so.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBXOifnvHCfpendquFfKaBCiPUp0ybwnwjnftD5kDvvF_b1aiQ
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 01:57 pm
watched mad max and mad max 2 the road warrior last night, great cheesy films

"i'll talk to this humungous fellow, he seems like a reasonable fellow", classic
plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:41 pm
@talk72000,
Michael Wood is good period . . . and nice to look at.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:42 pm
@talk72000,
Thanks for the info on Monsanto. No wonder that company is so skilled at poisoning us.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 06:58 pm
@djjd62,
Dj? What was your favorite Mad Max film?

Mad Max (1979);
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981);
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985);
Mary and Max (2009) ... does this one belong... hmmmm?
talk72000

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 07:34 pm
@plainoldme,
As much good as Clinton did as President he is also a Monsanto man with Michael Cantor and Bilderberg Lawrence Summers allowing mergers and patenting of life forms. The agri-businesses are gradually killing people with foods that are not nutritional but cheap.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 10:22 pm
@talk72000,
When I look into the future, I see misery and starvation and worse.
talk72000

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 03:26 pm
@plainoldme,
You should see 'The Shawshank Redemption' which is a great movie that I recently saw. It stars Tim Robbins who must be 6'5" as co-star Morgan freeman is around 6'2 1//2" in height. It is a movie about hope. Get it from the Library. It is longish 3 1/2 hours.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 03:32 pm
@talk72000,
I saw that movie a couple of times, and always enjoyed watching it. Moral of the story: there's always hope.
talk72000

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 03:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I also saw Deliverance with Burt Reynolds and Jon Voight. Strangely the titles have similar meaning so I thought it was the same movie but the actors was different. I think I saw Deliverance mistaking it for the Shawshank Redemption as I read that it was a good movie. I think the title is hard to remember. I was disappointed with Deliverance.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 04:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
for an overall film the original is my fave
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 05:16 pm
Watched one of my Christmas presents, "Mountains of the Moon" about Richard Francis Burton and John Hanning Speks 1956 exploration in central Africa to the source of the Nile.

Oddly, the BBC mini-series "In Search of the Nile," actually, an expanded version of the aforementioned film has never been released on tape or DVD. Saddly so, because it remains my favorite BBC series and being a Burtonphile was fantastic to see in the mid-'70s.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 08:06 pm
@plainoldme,

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:32 am
I watched a movie that I loved when it was released more than 40 years ago but hated last night: The Yellow Rolls Royce.

I have a vague but now shamefaced memory of discussing it with someone a few years back. The other person -- no idea who it was -- scoffed at the movie. Well, I was, perhaps, still a teenager when I saw it with a friend who was about to go to to Italy. In the words of Woody Allen spoken by "annie hall," I was jejune.

At the time, I liked the framework of a wonderful automobile as it aged and passed through the hands of different owners (a plot originated by Anna Sewell who wrote not about a car but about a horse named Black Beauty).

I think the movie is more important as a marker of the transition between the sort of visual storytelling of the 1950s and the more realistic style of the 1960s. You might call this the Last 1950s Motion Picture. While the scenery was handsome . . . and so was the cast . . . the stories were trite and the characters stereotypes. The result was the acting stank, as it usually does when an "international cast " is assembled for the name value of each player.

I know that someone stated that George C. Scott never could act. Watching him represent (play is too strong a word) a Chicago gangster here was boring beyond belief. The only reason he was cast was because of his Italianate profile.

Alan Delon and Jeanne Moreau were wooden. I think Delon was hampered by the trite writing. (The jacket for the DVD proclaims women knew what he was but didn't care. Well, Delon was certainly at his most handsome here with the exception of the fake tan which made him look like a bodybuilding competitor.) The problem with Moreau was her face, which has a natural tendency to look sad, with the downward lines of her mouth and the puppy-like eyes. There was no chemistry between her and the handsome-in-the-Cary-Grant-style-actor who played her backdoor man. It is too bad she didn't try.

Omar Sharif is widely regarded as a non-actor as well. Here, he was cast in the romantic-view of the resistance fighter that would soon fade. He mouthed a great deal of praise for Yugoslavia, because patriotism is always fashionable. The costumes this man was put into were ridiculous, particularly bad as each woman was costumed by an individual designer. At one point, he donned a jacket with fur-sleeves which I think was later worn by Sonny when he sang with Cher. On the DVD cover, he is called The Firebrand whose secret weapon is a woman. No, he was a freedom fighter and not a firebrand.

One of the better roles was Art Carney's turn as Scott's assistant. Carney actually used subtlety. His job was to watch over Scott's girlfriend, played by Shirley MacLaine. It is too bad that the director didn't let MacLaine be MacLaine but had her play Marilyn Monroe playing a gun moll. Bad writing probably did in Monroe as it did in MacLaine here.

Ingrid Bergman was 40 when this film was made and still beautiful (but makeup and lighting as well as clothes designed by Edith Head do work wonders) but there was nothing of the delicacy of emotions that her famous eyes could command in this role. Despite her accent, she was called the American widow, Mrs. Millet. American? Then why did she talk like that? Just as MacLaine was made to play the role as Marilyn Monroe, Bergman seemed to be playing Joan Crawford as a conservative American widow. I blame the director for that.

Incidentally, the character of Gerda Millet (sounds like a typical American name, doesn't it?) was a sort of Sarah Palin but with some tact. Her right-of-center approach to life was unintentionally comic.

The best performance was turned in by Rex Harrison who managed to find a real heart under the stereotype. He begins as a confident and used-to-getting his way English lord with a post in the foreign office. What the viewer learns is that he is romantically in love with his wife but, sadly, he is more than a little naive. Over 50 when cast, he was still lean, handsome and possessed of an energetic long-stride. No wonder he was called Sexy Rexy. While perhaps a little too old to play a man married for only 10 years, there was an earnest sexuality about him that made his wife's affair puzzling, particularly since Moreau was so wooden in the role. After he witnessed his wife's indiscretion, he had to 'carry on' with a 'stiff upper lip.' Harrison allows us to see a man struggling to contain his hurt to avoid the gossip and stares that would have been a continued and unbearable reminder of the injustice served him.

Finally, the one performer for whom the audience could feel sorry was veteran character actor Gregoire Aslan as the Albanian ambassador. Here was the key to the script's problem: it was written as a drawing room comedy.