The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

eoe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 12:25 pm
@farmerman,
Elizabeth Taylor was married to Mike Todd. He was a movie producer.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 12:40 pm
@eoe,
My favorite documentary of last year! Valentino: The Last Emperor!! Extremely funny! Should have gotten a documentary nod and perhaps a nod for cinematography as well.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 12:43 pm
@farmerman,
Fm.... I remember some kind of PBS documentary on the subject and how they tried to drop, skip, and roll the bombs straight down the rivers into the dams.

If I remember the documentary correctly, they failed to get the project to work. Though I can imagine the film probably had a so called happy style ending.
eoe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 01:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
It was very funny, the way Valentino and Giancarlo brawled throughout putting together a collection but it was his head seamstress, Antoinella or Antoinetta, who really scared me. She was a brute!

But my goodness, do they live well or what??? His homes, yachts, private jets, they way they roll in general is just out-of-this-world.
Irishk

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 01:42 pm
@eoe,
That was one of my favorite documentaries, too. The relationship between the two men (47 years?) was funny, but really touching and I loved seeing the photos of the two of them from the early years. I can only imagine living their opulent lifestyle...sending the butler ahead to open a home and make it perfect, even for a visit of only an hour or two? Really? LOL.

NY Magazine wrote:
In the film, Giammetti tells Valentino when such a dress could use an extra ruffle, and even when his tan has, perhaps, become too intense. “If anything happened to Valentino, it also happened to me,” says Giammetti. “People say that I should have won the Légion d’honneur, but for me, I did. What is between Valentino and me, it is beyond words.”

Victor Murphy

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 04:14 pm
Alice was the last movie that I saw on DVD!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5186qLo0dqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 04:19 pm
@Victor Murphy,
i've seen the first half, have yet to watch the second, it was okay, better than the tin man thing they did a couple of years ago
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 04:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
The operations did , in fact work.Operation Chastise was the official name for attacks carried out by Royal Air Force No. 617 Squadron - subsequently known as the Dambusters - on German dams on 16"17 May 1943, using a specially developed "bouncing bomb" invented and developed by Barnes Wallis. The Möhne and Eder dams were breached, causing catastrophic flooding of the Ruhr valley, but the Sorpe dam sustained only minor damage. THere were a total of 38 crew members of 6 of the LAncasterBombers that failed to return. One was shot down by flack on approach , one couldnt climb out at Eder and smashed into the hills and the other 4 were shot down on return home. (They lost the element of surprise after their mission was completed.

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 04:40 pm
@Irishk,
I love their history also, and the fact that they can't agree on exactly which cafe they were at when they met. They're clearly devoted to one another, the temperamental artist and the businessman, but I do believe that alot of the hoopla was put on for the cameras.

He's truly the last of the great couturiers. Bravo Valentino!

But that head seamstress! When she explained that Valentino merely designs and she and her staff do the rest of the work, it sounded as if she was trying to steal some of his thunder. Everyone knows how invaluable a designers' staff is but I found her backbiting and almost bitter. It's good he retired when he did, two months after his magnificent retrospective on the grounds of the Coliseum ( Shocked Shocked Shocked was that incredible or what??) because I don't know how he could have continued to work with her once her comments were revealed in the film.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 04:58 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq4wo4JYy2s[/youtube]

The September Issue -- A documentary chronicling Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour's preparations for the 2007 fall-fashion issue.

I've been looking forward to the release of this documentary on DVD ever since I saw The Devil Wears Prada a few years ago. I was curious to learn more about Anna Wintour (mainly to see if she's as scary in real life as she was depicted in the movie lol). The film follows Ms. Wintour, her staff and interactions with famous fashion designers as the massive September issue of Vogue is readied for publication. I think anyone who has an interest in fashion will enjoy this documentary.

I saw this last week also. Loved it. But Grace Coddington finally started to annoy me with her routine. The fashion spread she was whining about ended up as 16 pages in the magazine. 16! And they were/are beautiful (I watched the movie with a copy of the September 2007 Vogue beside me) but I couldn't believe her bitching because she didn't get 20 pages or whatever. Ridiculous. But it's true that some people live and thrive on unnecessary drama.

I didn't get the celebrated Dragon Lady persona from Anna Wintour, tho. She wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy, she likes what she likes and will tell you if she doesn't like something, but she wasn't mean or coldhearted about it. Not nearly as heartstopping as Meryl Streep's fabulous portrayal in Prada. Which was really a relief.

Haven't looked at the 2nd disc yet. Saving it for later. Very Happy
Irishk

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:05 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:
I saw this last week also. Loved it. But Grace Coddington finally started to annoy me with her routine. The fashion spread she was whining about ended up as 16 pages in the magazine. 16! And they were/are beautiful (I watched the movie with a copy of the September 2007 Vogue beside me) but I couldn't believe her bitching because she didn't get 20 pages or whatever. Ridiculous. But it's true that some people live and thrive on unnecessary drama.

That's very cool that you had the actual issue at hand! Grace is obviously extremely talented (want to know more about her!), but their relationship made me a little uneasy throughout most of the film (until the end when Anna admitted Grace is a genius LOL).

Quote:
I didn't get the celebrated Dragon Lady persona from Anna Wintour, tho. She wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy, she likes what she likes and will tell you if she doesn't like something, but she wasn't mean or coldhearted about it. Not nearly as heartstopping as Meryl Streep's fabulous portrayal in Prada. Which was really a relief.

Haven't looked at the 2nd disc yet. Saving it for later. Very Happy

I think "Nuclear Wintour" might come out in the second disc Smile
I just recently learned there's a 3-disc edition at Barnes & Noble. Third disc is only 25 minutes, but apparently all Anna and lots of fashion.
0 Replies

dragonone

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:25 pm
"Saving Private Ryan" was the one I watched the other night on DVD. It wasn't as bad this time as I thought it was the first time. Tom Hanks was the only actor I knew.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:40 pm
Watched The Negotiator, with Samuel L Jackson and Kevin Spacey. Top notch thriller for me, since I don't watch that many such films.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 10:03 pm
I finally got to see No Country for Old Men and think that the Coen Brothers are geniuses. The characters of those three men . . . the hunter, the killer and sheriff . . . were so strongly drawn. Each had such penetrating intelligence and cunning.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:12 am
@plainoldme,
That's odd. I wonder who hated No Country for Old Men enough to mark your post down with a thumbs down notch?!

Great movie indeed!
kermit

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 04:53 pm
@cyphercat,
Can it top this though?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 05:39 pm
Finally saw "UP"

Joe(Thumbs up for UP)Nation
eoe

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 06:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
I'm looking forward to seeing that one. I hear if you can get through the first five minutes dry-eyed, you are one tough customer.
plainoldme

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 06:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
Who knows? Maybe it was my description they disliked.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 03:31 pm
I finally got the needed cable to watch movies I'd downloaded from itunes on my television. Yay.
Watched "A Patch of Blue" the other evening. Still a fine movie. My mother loved it. She and I never missed a showing.
0 Replies