The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:29 pm
@Irishk,
This afternoon, I watched the comme ci, comme ca Ricky Gervais comedy, The Invention of Lying. Great cast and some heartwarming scenes.

Right now, I just finished watching the postapocolyptic animated feature 9. The animation and art direction were great. However, the story was meh. A tad too cheesy to say the least.
Irishk

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
I just got Invention of Lying...haven't watched it yet. I made Mr.Irish suffer through The Time Traveler's Wife with me......he may resume speaking to me sometime next week Embarrassed

Need to put 9 in my Netflix queue.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:53 pm
@Irishk,
Out of the two, I liked The Invention of Lying much more. To put it into the context and compare it to Ricky Gervais last leading role film, Ghost Town? Ghost Town was much more successful a romantic comedy. Some of the situations in The Invention of Lying were a bit forced and finagled into the story (aka quite predictable in their inclusion).
Irishk

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
I loved Ghost Town LOL. I recommended it to a lot of friends.

We also watched Bottle Shock this past week. It had been sitting on a stack of 'to watch' DVDs forever. We liked it Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 07:23 am
@tsarstepan,
I just this minute saw Waltz With Bashir.

Loved it!!!

Anyone else love it?

I so want to discuss it!
Irishk

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:08 pm

The September Issue -- A documentary chronicling Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour's preparations for the 2007 fall-fashion issue.

I've been looking forward to the release of this documentary on DVD ever since I saw The Devil Wears Prada a few years ago. I was curious to learn more about Anna Wintour (mainly to see if she's as scary in real life as she was depicted in the movie lol). The film follows Ms. Wintour, her staff and interactions with famous fashion designers as the massive September issue of Vogue is readied for publication. I think anyone who has an interest in fashion will enjoy this documentary.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:39 am
I watched Julie and Julia and The Hurt Locker on dvd because I could not afford to go to the movies when J & J was in theatrical release and because working seven days a week leaves little time for other things.

Julie and Julie was fun but light. Meryl's amazing ear allowed her to capture Julia's eccentric accent and I knew that Stanley Tucci would be dapper and suave as Paul CHild.

I would not have wanted to have paid to see THe Hurt Locker in the theatre although I do think it is an anti-war piece.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:41 am
@dlowan,
Waltz With Bashir is an incredibly powerful documentary.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 11:46 am
@plainoldme,
I guess The Hurt Locker could be a film for acquired tastes. But certainly, you're right. Yes, it's definitely antiwar. Filmmakers can't glamorize war when it involves the death of children and other civilians and also have the protagonist as a moody, suicidal adrenaline junkie.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 12:02 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Meryl's amazing ear allowed her to capture Julia's eccentric accent and I knew that Stanley Tucci would be dapper and suave as Paul CHild.

While waiting for the DVD release of J & J, I watched one of Child's old PBS series, The French Chef. I was so amazed at how Meryl managed to not only nail the accent, but she also got Julia's quirky mannerisms exactly right, too. BTW, the old 1962 series, out on DVD, is simply hilarious to watch now. Fun!

plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:26 pm
@cyphercat,
Christopher LEe was young? He made a recording this year of some sort of bombastic, gamer sci-fi music that was hysterical. I tried to get the stick in the muds over at eons.com to enjoy it. They have no sense of humor.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:30 pm
@Irishk,
I hadn't watched Julia as recently as you did but I did think Meryl was amazing. The same sort of thing happened when Helen Mirren portrayed Elizabeth II . . . we all know that Helen no more looks like Liz than Meryl looks like Julia and yet Meryl even looked like Julia at times, just as Helen sometimes looked like Liz.
panzade

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:39 pm
@plainoldme,
yup....mirren was awesome
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 01:42 pm
@plainoldme,
You're chums with the Queen so well you can informally call her Liz?
Wink
plainoldme

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 10:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm fresh. I call the Elizabeths Liz 1 and Liz 2. I call Shakespeare Billy from Avon.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:35 pm
The Stoning of Soraya M.

Set in 1986 Iran at the start of Khomeini's reign, director Cyrus Nowrasteh's drama tells the true story of Soraya (Mozhan Marnò), whose husband plots to have her falsely accused of adultery so he can divorce her and marry a young girl. French journalist Freidoune (Jim Caviezel) is pulled into Soraya's tragic story when he meets a desperate woman named Zahra (Shohreh Aghdashloo).

This is a new release this week on Netflix streaming. Knowing it's a true story made it very difficult to watch, but Shohreh Aghdashloo, who plays Soraya's aunt in the movie, gives one of the most powerful performances I've ever seen.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 09:27 pm
The September Issue. Always fun, these types of exposés, but then you wonder, how much of it is truth and how much is manufactured for the camera?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 06:37 pm
Just finished Woody Harrelson's comic zombie flick Zombieland. Twas a good and funny popcorn flick. I can recommend it to those who don't mind a good deal of nasty gore.

Right now, I have my favorite director's latest film on DVD Ponyo. Finally! I get to see it! Hayao Miyazaki is the best!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 11:23 pm
Valentino: The Last Emperor. Loved it. But like I said above, you never know how much is real and how much is put on for the camera.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 02:31 am
@eoe,
I am on lamb delivery duty tonight so I downloaded a Netflix of THE DAM BUSTERS a 1954 British movie of the program to develop a trick to bomb the dams of the Ruhr Valley in WWII. It starred Richard Todd (I had no idea even who he was until I was severely criticized by my good wife that he was a MArc ANtony and A Robin Hood character, and he was also a husband of Liz TAylor the past movie queen who loved showing her boobs on screen).
The DAm Busters was really well done and followed a rising story line that went from bomb research to actual deployment.