The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

snood

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 06:21 pm
@glitterbag,
Putting (and leaving ) them on ignore is the best way, and I've not been totally successful at doing that. And they make me sad, too. Izzy is fighting the good fight.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 06:58 pm
@snood,
Thats so true. Not only is it sad, it's embarrassing. Those guys make us look like a bunch of unschooled rubes.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 11:49 pm
@snood,
Sorry for the editorial:

I watched 'Mr. Brooks' Friday night. Kevin Costner plays a serial killer with William Hurt (his invisible) partner. If you haven't seen it, and you like phycological thrillers, check it out.
snood

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:12 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Sorry for the editorial:

I watched 'Mr. Brooks' Friday night. Kevin Costner plays a serial killer with William Hurt (his invisible) partner. If you haven't seen it, and you like phycological thrillers, check it out.

I've seen it. Pretty creepy. And pretty original - I don't believe I've seen another like it. It's been awhile, so my memory is a little hazy. But isn't the Hurt character just a creation of the very troubled mind of Mr Brooks?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 01:42 am
@snood,
Yes, he's like an imaginary playmate. Mr. Brooks doesn't seem to be schizophrenic, he just has a creepy muse that aids and abets. My favorite moments are when they laugh at each others dark humor. I wonder why it didn't get more attention??
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 09:59 pm
@izzythepush,
I actually read Fay Weldon's wretched novel, She Devil. If you think the movie was bad, the book was worse. However, I rather liked the movie which made more sense. In the novel, the homely character had plastic surgery including leg length reduction to look like the beautiful character. Ugh.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 02:35 am
@plainoldme,
That's what happened in the six parter. It was about envy, not that she just wanted to look more beautiful, she wanted all of her enemy's life, everything, including looks.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 09:24 pm
@barrythemod,
One of my favorite comedy movies is titled Black Dynamite. The movie was released in 2009. It's an action comedy. The movie is a parody of the 1970s Blaxploitation genre. Blaxploitation movies were basically the black action movies of the 1970s. It's also a parody of the 1970s Chopsocky genre. Chopsocky was the term used for the 1970s kung fu movies often made in China and dubbed into English. If you grew up on the 1970s Blaxploitation or the 1970s kung fu movies you will appreciate the comedy parody a lot more. You will see comical references to actors Jim Kelly as well as Bruce Lee. You will see comical references to Bruce Lee's "Enter the Dragon" as well as Jim Kelly's" Three the Hard Way". The characterization and the acting was extremely exaggerated and over the top. That's what made the movie extremely funny. If you want to laugh out loud and not take anything serious, I strongly recommend this movie.
panzade

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 01:50 pm
@Real Music,
Nice post
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 04:30 pm
Just saw Beyond the Lights. It's a story about a girl who rises to the top as a singer in the crazy music industry, but is unhappy and is about to kill herself when a cop saves her. I was expecting to see such melodrama that I'd probably not be able to see the whole thing, but ends up this is a wonderfully made wonderfully acted movie. It has some upcoming new actors in the leads, and some familiar faces supporting.

Riveting, believable story.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 05:49 pm
@snood,
This isn't a movie but mr. G'bag and I have been watching the Fargo TV show. I was very skeptical because although I loved the movie, usually when they adapt a film for tv it, uh, well it usually stinks. But WOW, last season was great but this season is inspired. In many ways it's even better than the film, but perhaps it's because the Coen brothers are involved in it's production. The episode this past Mon. was so dark yet so funny I've watched it twice. It is broadcast on the FX channel and if you like Coen brothers films you really should check this out. Plus the casting is fantastic, Ted Danson is in it and I'm impressed. He really sinks his teeth into the role. I hope you like it as much as we do.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 10:50 pm
I watched the movie Ray, which I had wanted to see when it was playing in theaters. I have no idea why I didn't as I saw many of the Academy Award nominees for that year, which offered some terrific films: The Aviator, Sideways, Hotel Rwanda, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Before Sunset. I also missed the Mike Leigh film, Vera Drake.

Best picture that year was Million Dollar Baby. Sideways, Aviator, Hotel Rwanda and Before Sunset were better pictures than MDB. Eternal Sunshine probably was as well but I don't remember much about it.

I liked Ray and Jaime Foxx was terrific in the role. Ray Charles died while the movie was in production. It has to be difficult to play a person who not only was still alive but who was popular and had been seen by many people both live and on film and on television.

I thought parts of Million Dollar Baby was badly written, particularly the taunting of the priest character by Clint Eastwood's character. What was that about? I remember who I saw it with and we felt that the relationship between Eastwood's and Morgan Freeman's characters was more interesting than the rest of the plot.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 11:18 pm
I saw the new MacBeth movie with Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard which was violent and uneven. After a friend told me her favorite MacBeth was the Patrick Stewart's for Great Performances, I went to pbs.org to see if it is available and it is.

Not only does this performance have Stewart's magnificent voice, but the setting, reminiscent of early Stalinist USSR works very well with the play.

And unlike the theatrical release I saw yesterday, all the words were clear. This was not nearly as violent but was creepy and frightening, a sort of William Shakespeare joins forces with George Orwell.

A reviewer also said there is a note of Hamlet in this MacBeth and there is. A wonderful production which I would use were I to teach the Scottish play.

My son told me there was a series called Storyteller featuring creatures from the late Jim Hensen's Creature Factory. I watched one episode, the True Bride. The bride was played by Jane Horrocks and the groom was Sean Bean. The entire series, short those it is, is filled with that sort of talent.
snood

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 01:08 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

This isn't a movie but mr. G'bag and I have been watching the Fargo TV show. I was very skeptical because although I loved the movie, usually when they adapt a film for tv it, uh, well it usually stinks. But WOW, last season was great but this season is inspired. In many ways it's even better than the film, but perhaps it's because the Coen brothers are involved in it's production. The episode this past Mon. was so dark yet so funny I've watched it twice. It is broadcast on the FX channel and if you like Coen brothers films you really should check this out. Plus the casting is fantastic, Ted Danson is in it and I'm impressed. He really sinks his teeth into the role. I hope you like it as much as we do.

I really tried to sit and watch an episode but came away unimpressed and not particularly entertained. Maybe it's that my expectations were that it would echo the movie more. Maybe it's because I'd need more exposure and familiarity with these characters. Not sure, because I like several of the actors.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 02:47 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
My son told me there was a series called Storyteller featuring creatures from the late Jim Hensen's Creature Factory. I watched one episode, the True Bride. The bride was played by Jane Horrocks and the groom was Sean Bean. The entire series, short those it is, is filled with that sort of talent.

It's quite an old series, John Hurt plays the storyteller, but despite every part he's played, including the war Doctor, he'll always be Caligula.

https://i0.wp.com/www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsH/tve8434-10-167.gif
glitterbag

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 03:45 pm
@izzythepush,
Wow, I watched "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", I lost count trying to identify all the film stars and comedians that had parts. This film was made in 1963 but it's still side splitting funny.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 03:52 pm
I was thrilled to find "Sensitive Skin" on Netflix. It's a dark comedy about mid- late-life starring Kim Cattrall.

I was even happier to discover it was an American remake of a British show of the same name starring Joanna Lumley! If you know where I might find that version of the show, please let me know. I caught a clip of it on Youtube, and it looks delicious.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 03:58 pm
@Lash,
Just type <sensitive skin, kim cattrall> and you'll find it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 08:34 am
@izzythepush,
That is so true! Even in Alien, he was still Caligula.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:34 pm
I started to watch Coming Through, a 1985 movie based on the love story of D. H. Lawrence and Frieda starring Kenneth Branagh and Helen Mirren. It was so stupid and labored that I only made it through 20 minutes.

I've been watching the long documentary, World War II in Color, which is excellent with its dispassionate narration.

Then I watched a made for television mini-series with Helen Mirren called The Painted Lady which was very interesting until the final five minutes when it became unbelievably corny.
0 Replies