The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

plainoldme

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 11:09 pm
Watched another movie: From Time to Time with a great cast including Maggie Smith, Timothy Spaul and most of the cast of Downton Abbey. Written and directed by Julian Fellowes and based on the book The Chimneys of Green Knowes.

Although there are holes in the plot, it offers an interesting twist on the coming of age story. It's a time travelling story and a ghost story as well.

Rotten Tomatoes gave it 43% but it is better than that. I would say for kids generally between 10 and 13 although a well read 8 year old will love it.

The story combines two historical periods: WWII and the Napoleonic Wars. I liked it.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 12:52 pm
@plainoldme,
I watched that movie several months ago, and found it quite entertaining. I didn't notice any plot holes, and they certainly did not distract me from enjoying the movie.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 08:09 pm
I'm on the fifth episode of first season of Ray Donovan. I don't get the insane level of hype. I'm being far too patient with the series. Should've given up at least three episodes ago.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 08:15 pm
Just watched Noah. However good or bad, I always enjoy Bible based films. This film was inspired by Noah and the flood, but it deviated greatly from the Old Testament. I found it interesting and liked it. The people I work with tried to tell me it was no good. To each his own.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 01:03 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I started a thread on the TV FARGO series last year and was a clarion call about how good it was. MALVO will go down in tv pantheon of villains ont he?

Yesterday We binge watched the last season of DEXTER, since we missed the last year due to work conflicts during which Mrs F accompanied me to take notes and pictures.

DEXTER, the last Season, is really good, its heart breaking, and it has to end in a certain way that does not **** eith the viewers head like the Sopranos did. (and Im not being a spoiler at all)

Dexter was one of my favorite series.....
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 01:11 pm
Remember Chris Farley?. I stumbled upon a little gem of his the other day. Beverly Hills Ninja.
A real blast from the past and just as funny now as it was back then.
Man.. he died way too young.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 07:03 pm
The Rover (2014): 7/10

It's the antiMad Max apocalyptic film. The Australians in this movie don't apparently have any survival smarts in this one.

Razzie nominee, Robert Pattinson channeled the Australian version of Billy Bob Thornton's Karl Childers.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 07:21 pm
@Ticomaya,
I thought it was a nice family movie.
Germlat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 02:51 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I thought it was a nice family movie.

We watched "Annie"... The 1980's production.....so good. Theatrical with great performances from both Albert Finney and Carol Burnettt....I enjoyed it. I wonder if the new rendition can hold a candle to the old one?
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2015 08:09 pm
"Zorba the Greek"---Antonio Quintana(Anthony Quinn)... Awesome movie .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 06:11 am
just finished two docs on Vivian Maier

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ee_uploads/news/2230/finding-vivian-mayer-poster-m.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivian_Maier
dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 05:43 pm
@djjd62,
And? More please.
firefly

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 06:12 pm
Watched the 1995 movie, "Outbreak", which had new relevance given the recent issues with Ebola in this country, and the apparent lack of sufficient inter-agency and government coordination in addressing and containing that disease that were consequently revealed.

And, at a time when trust in government is not high, and our country's use of torture is rationalized as being in our self-defense against terrorism, this movie's main plot element, of a high level military/government conspiracy involving biological weapons, and ethical considerations, doesn't seem at all dated, or far-fetched, 20 years later.

Although a very fine cast were given a script that did little to tax their acting abilities, I found it fairly easy to become engrossed in this film, and to find it consistently engaging, and to even find it thrilling, despite also feeling that Dustin Hoffman's heroic 'save the day' exploits, in the entire last segment, were pretty unbelievable, and somewhat of a cop-out. But, by that point, I was hooked, and just wanted this deadly enemy of a disease stopped in its tracks, and the creepy government plan of how to stop it equally deterred, so I surrendered my disbelief in favor of just enjoying the action and suspense.

It's basically a well-made film with a lot of good entertainment value, and one that I'd recommend.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2015 08:12 pm
@dlowan,
Finding Vivian Maier was quite enjoyable, it dealt with one collector who holds the majority of her collection and his journey to discover who she really was

the other doc was a shorter BBC production, BBC Imagine Vivian Maier - Who Took Nanny's Pictures, it was actually the most interesting of the two, it really delved into her history, Vivian, her mother and grandmother were all incredibly disenfranchised women who all worked in service to others and seemed not to have much sense of self

you can watch it at the link below

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v70590131KFPFjY7N?h1=BBC+Imagine+%282013%29+Vivian+Maier+-+Who+Took+Nannys+Pictures
firefly

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 02:38 pm
@djjd62,
I also enjoyed 'Finding Vivian Maier', and, since I had not heard about this film, I don't know that I would have watched it if you had not mentioned it here. So, thank you.

I did think the film was a bit too long, with too much repetitive commentary by people who had known her, but really didn't know her well at all, and who had little to contribute to essentially understanding her. She was a secretive, very private person, but such a very talented observer and photographer. It was a pleasure just to be able to view her work, work she chose not to share during her lifetime, and to learn something about the woman behind the lens.

I also tried to view the video on the link you posted, but both times I tried, the video cut out after less than 10 minutes. I'll give it another try because I'd like to learn more about her and her background.
jcboy

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 02:48 pm
Last night we watched an Independent film on Netflix called “Cold Lands” about a 12 year old boy who lives with his mother, she passes away and he is left on his own. I thought it was a great film!

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 04:06 pm
@firefly,
hmm, I actually downloaded the shorter doc from the more nefarious regions of the interwebs, but the link seems to work for me

hope you do get to see it, there's information in it that isn't in the other
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 07:19 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Finding Vivian Maier was quite enjoyable, it dealt with one collector who holds the majority of her collection and his journey to discover who she really ...

I'm hoping it grabs this year's Best Oscar documentary award.
fbaezer

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 08:17 pm
Watched yesterday "Cowboys & Aliens".
Dumb fun.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:13 am
@tsarstepan,
check out the BBC one i posted, i actually enjoyed it more, it gave more of a back story
0 Replies