The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

plainoldme

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 08:04 pm
@InfraBlue,
The cinematography is always good on Spielberg pictures. Janusz Kaminski is always in charge. Not long after I saw Amistad and was totally impressed with the period look (smoky rooms and more), I found a magazine for cinematographers (!) in a clinic's waiting room (!). Kaminski wrote a piece, describing how he wanted the look of the 18th C and not the bright, clean Hollywood world look.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 08:45 pm
@plainoldme,
Earlier today I saw "Oh Brother where Art Thou","we thought you was a toad"
Germlat

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:17 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Earlier today I saw "Oh Brother where Art Thou","we thought you was a toad"

Good soundtrack on that one. I watched, "Inception " with Leonardo Di Caprio. Good Sci-fi...seen it before...hard to resist.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2014 06:41 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm thinking watching Oh, Brother again is way overdue.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2014 08:48 am
@plainoldme,
I started to watch "Dog Day Afternoon", must not have been in a good mood, it started getting depressing so I turned it off.
panzade

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2014 08:51 am
@glitterbag,
Tough one.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2014 12:50 pm
I came across a movie list, something along the lines of great movies to watch once--because they're so excruciating to watch--and saw, among others, Sophie's Choice in it. We're fans of Meryl Streep, so, my wife and I streamed it on Netflix.

Wow, what a build up to the choices that Sophie makes.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 02:38 am
Over the weekend I watched "Road to Perdition", that film still fascinates me. Tom Hanks, Paul Newman (I think it was his last film), Daniel Craig, Jude Law in a creepy but compelling film.
panzade

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 07:06 am
@glitterbag,
I did too; it was my first viewing.
Sam Mendes did a superb job.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 07:35 pm
@panzade,
Well, we just finished watching "Neighbors", I will never ever ever watch it again. It was so bad, we couldn't stop watching, we saw that baby all the way thru. We did it for all of you posting here on A2K, we watched so you don't have to.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 07:49 pm
@glitterbag,
I just finished All That Jazz (1979) . Insanely boring. I'll never bother watching it again.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 07:51 pm
@glitterbag,
I saw a great move on my last cruise called "The Railway Man." It's based on a true story, and the ending is nothing but a big surprise.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 08:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I saw "railway Man" as well, it's a very good movie. I also read "Unbroken", the story of an Italian American held in a Japanese POW camp, who managed to live thru unspeakable treatment (much like Railway Man). Laura Hildibrand wrote the book, and I believe a movie will be released soon.

0 Replies

viviansa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 08:43 pm
@barrythemod,
Titanic
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 08:48 pm
@viviansa,
Titanic was a good movie, but the real reason I'm responding is because I was in Belfast recently and had the opportunity to visit the Titanic Museum. You can visit my travel blog about Belfast and the Titanic Museum here; http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/c.i.222/1/1412446668/tpod.html

The cruise I was on last month also had a port stop in Cork, Ireland, the last port stop of the Titanic before she ran into that iceberg. Last year, I was able to visit the cemetery where the victims are buried in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2014 09:59 pm
Howard Zinn: You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train.

Interesting documentary. I felt uncomfortable with the attention paid to his marriage because I had heard that he had had many affairs. I am a little bit of a goody two shoes, so those things stick with me.

What I enjoyed was being reminded of how slow and solemn protest marches were.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2014 07:01 am
I watched "Maltese Falcon". I laughed so much ...loved Humphrey Bogart's lines. It's now on the my watch repeatedly list.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 02:58 pm
David Lynch's Mulholland Drive.
Can anybody help me with the plot?
I'm confused.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 10:45 pm
@panzade,
This is my favorite topic, crazy David Lynch films. I've watched Mullholland drive 3 times and it doesn't make any sense. Lynch films are beautifully filmed and wonderful to watch, however, my premise is that Lynch is laughing behind our backs while we ponder what we are watching. My fav scene in Mulholland Drive is the two women watching a women singing a Roy Orbison song in Spanish, they start to weep and one women reaches into her tiny handbag and pulls out a rabbits foot. I turned to my husband with a WTF look on my face and we started to laugh.

Oh an the strange cowboy that shows up every so often. It's nonsensical, but entertaining as Hell.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 11:22 pm
I just found Hotel Rwanda on MGMHD, fabulous movie. I hope I can stay awake.
0 Replies