The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 06:14 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

I would guess that those who disliked the movie expected a nostalgia fest and not a criticism of the era.

That makes a lot of sense. I don't know very much about folk music, let alone the era so I didn't go in with any preconceived notions or biases. Inside Llewyn Davis is in the top 10 of my favorite movies from last year.

I plan on buying the BluRay when it goes on sale.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 06:26 am
I've been watching The Tudors. It makes me wonder if people during the Reformation ever did anything else besides have sex.

I hate the anachronisms. I also hate the ahistoric characters and events. I think Jonathan Rhys Meyers is an incredibly ugly ham. I rather object to casting a short brunette and a tall redhead. Steven Waddington who played the ill-fated Duke of Buckingham ought to have been cast as Henry. His height and physique and coloring make him a better choice.

However, it is one of the most beautiful visual presentations I have ever seen on television. The costume design (although, perhaps there are too many bare shouldered dresses) from the embroidery to the colors is breathtaking.

I like that an attractive woman, Maria Doyle Kennedy, was cast as Catherine of Aragon. Poor Catherine deserves better than to be played by old actresses who do nothing but harp on Henry and his council and pray. The bonus is that Maria maintains a credible Spanish accent throughout.

However, she might have more effectively been cast as Anne Boleyn rather than the light-eyed, baby-faced Natalie Dormer. In fact, Dormer more closely resembles the most flattering portrait of Catherine.

But the clumsy violation of history annoys me. I knew that Henry had a sister named Mary who had been briefly married to the much older king of France before marrying Charles Brandon. I did not know that there was another sister, Margaret. But to have Margaret replace Mary is ridiculous, just as it is ridiculous to have her marry the king of Portugal.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 06:27 am
@tsarstepan,
I admit I expected a nostalgia fest as well but that's not what the Coens are about.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:06 am
@plainoldme,
That's a good point pom.
What happens to us when we see a movie desecrate our fond retro-memories of an era 50 years ago?
We get a bit uncomfortable.
firefly

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:25 am
@plainoldme,
I watched The Tutors almost until the end--the last season it began to lose me.

It was visually beautiful to watch, and I think that was a good part of its appeal for me.
Quote:
I think Jonathan Rhys Meyers is an incredibly ugly ham

I don't think he's physically ugly, but I found his acting to be second (or third) rate, quite hammy, and rather one dimensional. And, because of that, he seriously detracted from my enjoyment of this series. I kept finding myself getting angry at his performance, he was just plain irritating.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:47 am
I am not a huge fan of folk music, but I find some of it interesting. The era portrayed in the movie was something I was completely naive about so I was not looking for nostalgia. However, the overall feeling was simmering depression, sparked by a few points that would be humorous.

I normally love the Coen brothers, but not this one so much.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:57 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I would guess that those who disliked the movie expected a nostalgia fest
I was never a folky. I was a 14 year old kid who was into jzz and bluegrass so I needed as much self esteem among my peers as an accordion player with a web site.
I read the Dave van Ronck "utobiogrphy" (It was actually cobbled together after his death by his "co-writer").

The real point was of Ronck's self assuredness of his acoustic folky style (he was actually the first in line for Peter Paul and Mary but his voice was too assertive so they ent with Paul STookey). They didn't give Llewyn any credit as being anything but kind of a schmuck n van Ronck was actually successful in his style and Dylan actually credited him as being onw of the first he stole from

No, I jut think the movie was a badly done homage (as are many Coen movies). Im kinda getting tired of T Bone Burnett anyway.
Nothing deep in my rejection of this movie as "great". Itll live I suppose, just not with my endorsement. I think critics ere also split.

I also hd some of the same feelings about NEBRSKA. (that was a reallove/hate battle moreso than Llewyn Dvis)
Lash

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 12:16 pm
@farmerman,
Nebraska could be used at Guantanamo. (shudders)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 04:11 pm
What a great movie I saw this afternoon.

Very moody anddeeply romantic. My new favorite vampire movie: Only Lovers Left Alive (2013) and my new favorite Jim Jaramusch film. Great soundtrack to boot! Very Happy
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 05:01 pm
@panzade,
true
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 08:15 pm
Just finished watching L. Dicaprio's portrayal of J. Edgar. My sound system is not the best and I struggled to understand what was said, numerous times. Overall, I like it. I don't know enough details of his life to guess where the movie strays from reality, but I think the important points were covered fairly well.

His sex life was distorted, I think. Nobody saw those intimate scenes that were in the movie. I think he actually had relations with a few women - at least, Dorothy Lamour.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 08:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
According the some movie reviews, they whitewashed the story a bit too much. I turned the movie off after 3o minutes as I couldn't stand DiCaprio's really obnoxious accent.

Hated what part of the film I did see.
firefly

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 08:45 pm
Just finished watching Argo--what a good movie! Really well-crafted film, with impressive direction by Ben Affleck. Best movie I've seen in a while.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 09:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Unfortunately, DiCaprio did a decent version of that old born & bred Washington D.C. accent. D.C. Used to be a Southern city, all the old native Washingtonians are long gone and the accent has disappeared. Northern Va. Accents were similar, but not exactly the same. I agree it doesn't sit easy on the ears, but it wasn't unauthentic.

Watched the last hour of Goldfinger just now. The music is still pretty powerful, but some of the acting was giggle inducing. Honor Blackman is now 88 years old and Sean Connory is 84. How and when did that happen????
glitterbag

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 09:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Loved Argo!!!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:53 am
Everybody has GOT to go rent "The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete". It's the story of two inner city boys - one black, one Asian, who have to find a way to survive the Summer when both their mothers have (for two different reasons)been taken by authorities. There are a couple of recognizable name actors in it, but I think it's the debut for the two boys.

Good human drama.
snood

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:54 am
@snood,
Plus, you've got to see it just so you can tell people the cool name of the movie.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 12:01 pm
@snood,
Thanks. Will look it up.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 08:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's a link that provides for free, Mister and Pete. I just finished watching it.
The only problem was the sound was not good.
http://filenuke.com/n1ywfjy8tes7
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 11:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
Just finished watching The Temptations, a three hour block buster on You Tube.
I highly recommend it. Here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxXhm-nonOY
0 Replies