Dinner Party Guest List--Any Ten People Who Ever Lived

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2003 10:38 pm
Well, there is the nub, is it not? Passion vs security? Or so it seems, sometimes.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 11:18 am
Hmmm, I feel passionately secure me own self Cool
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 02:48 pm
Becuase I like to hear ideas and listen to wit--I would invite the following:

l. Steven Pinker

2. William Dawkins

3. William F. Buckley

4. Norman Mailer

5. George F. Will

6. Richard Posner

7. Francis Ford Coppola

8. Woody Allen

9. Mel Brooks

10. Last but not least- my son- who is as witty as most of the above and brighter than some of them.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 03:31 pm
I'm a little late in making this admission, but you are not alone, Osso. I, too, to the best of my knowledge, have never either heard or read anything by Howard Stern.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:12 pm
cavfancier
mrs. cavfancier
BoGoWo
wenchilina
Setanta
Cleo
Bailey
Austin
Howard Stern
me!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:16 pm
Very Happy ehBeth. I'm puttin' my feet under your table.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:42 pm
I am NOT a Howard Stern fan, but I said somewhere along the line that I wouldn't make judgments on other people's guest lists. I'm zipping my lips (fingers).

Italgato, Your list contains some lively conversationalists and some big brains. One question--who is Steven Pinker. I'm sure I should know. I probably should be embarrassed that I don't.

ehBeth, All a2kers, I assume. Not all familiar to me. Will Cav be cooking or will he be in guest mode exclusively?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 06:17 pm
Roberta - my list is the A2K group I had dinner with last night, plus my two dogs, plus the cavfancier's canine companion, plus theHoward. The dogs don't know they're not human, or perhaps, as Setanta suggests, they don't know we're not dogs. theHoward is on the list because he is provocative - and i think he'd make a dandy addition to the debating group already in attendance. I also get a kick out of his accent. Hate his hair, love his accent.

hmmmmm, cavfancier can cook if we're all in a large eat-in kitchen, and we can all participate - in the cooking, talking and eating.

Letty - you were already with us last night through several fond mentions. Very Happy

Roberta - Setanta's appearance in your hebonics thread this morning came out of last night's dinner conversation - a few of us were having happy fits about it - so he had to check it out (he'd thought it was a serious thread, by the title).

I guess quite a few of you were with us last night. Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 06:46 pm
Shame on you, Roberta! Steven Pinker is a leading expert on language. He is director of the Center for Cognitive Neuroscience at MIT. His book, The Language Instinct(Harper Collins ©1994) was something of a best-seller in certain circles.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 12:28 am
ehBeth, Wonderful that your dinner was more than a fantasy. A reality. Howard Stern has an accent? Glad Setanta showed up on the Hebonics thread. Serious shmerious. He only shows up on unserious threads?

Andy, Obviously I'm hanging out in the wrong circles. Thanks for filling me in.
0 Replies

colehart

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 08:53 pm
Butch Cassidy,Sundance, & "the hole in the wall gang." Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:16 pm
Great choices. Welcome to A2K colehart :-)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:58 am
Hi Colehart and welcome to a2k. Care to share with us why you chose the guests you chose?
0 Replies

colehart

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 06:42 pm
Thanks for the welcome! No particular reason for those guys. I thought Etta Place was fairly attractive for that period. I love the old west, so any well known character would suit me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:40 pm
um, Wyatt Eyrp? Forgive spelling, can't seem to juggle it right. Once when I was about thirteen and we lived at my aunt's and I read every single thing in the house, I read an old book then about Wyatt. Gads, the leaps I could have made if I had internet access then, shudder to think. As it was, I hit the Santa Monica Library. Sadly not much of a leap, though I read a lot. Still, those were the years that I read, Since They Were There, the Zane Grey stories, and since I claimed I liked them, my dad got me a paperback of the Virginian. And off I went. (well, really, I liked the romance in it, read and reread the appurtanent paragraphs. Also, what I could find in Zane Grey series....) Nothng apparent lay around our house that had a thing to do with my own female sexuality.....but there was a sentimental love scene in the Virginian....

When last seen in high school, I took some kind of what will you be when you grow up test, and I turned out to be a scientic agriculturalist. Must've been all those western oriented answers from recent reading.

Talk about 180 degrees off of my more developed self. But ne'er mind. Let's ask the Virginian to dinner, eh?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 07:51 pm
Ok, not 180 degrees, I grew up to have scientific training and to be interested in land use. But I am very much a woman watching science and many other fields of knowledge... develop not entirely contrapuntally to architecture, art, literature, style...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 12:53 am
colehart, I've seen photos of Butch, Sundance, and Etta. But in my mind's eye, they bear a remarkable resemblance to Paul Newman, Robert Redford, and Katharine Ross.
0 Replies

colehart

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 09:55 pm
Maybe Etta, but Butch & Sundance? Nah!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 10:01 pm
So, I won't defend Wyatt Earp's place at the dinner table. Probably a crabby guy.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:02 pm
Drug addict (laudanum), Osso.
0 Replies