95 Percent of Americans Have Had Premarital Sex

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 11:26 am
More than nine out of 10 Americans, men and women alike, have had premarital sex, according to a new study. The high rates extend even to women born in the 1940s, challenging perceptions that people were more chaste in the past.

A study by the Guttmacher Institute, a private New York-based think tank , released today, appears in the new issue of Public Health Reports.

Quote:
Premarital Sex Is Nearly Universal Among Americans, And Has Been For Decades

Author: Guttmacher Institute
Published on Dec 20, 2006, 08:03

The vast majority of Americans have sex before marriage, including those who abstained from sex during their teenage years, according to "Trends in Premarital Sex in the United States, 1954-2003," by Lawrence B. Finer, published in the January/February 2007 issue of Public Health Reports. Further, contrary to the public perception that premarital sex is much more common now than in the past, the study shows that even among women who were born in the 1940s, nearly nine in 10 had sex before marriage.

The new study uses data from several rounds of the federal National Survey of Family Growth to examine sexual behavior before marriage, and how it has changed over time. According to the analysis, by age 44, 99% of respondents had had sex, and 95% had done so before marriage. Even among those who abstained from sex until age 20 or older, 81% had had premarital sex by age 44.

"This is reality-check research. Premarital sex is normal behavior for the vast majority of Americans, and has been for decades," says study author Lawrence Finer, director of domestic research at the Guttmacher Institute. "The data clearly show that the majority of older teens and adults have already had sex before marriage, which calls into question the federal government's funding of abstinence-only-until-marriage programs for 12-29-year-olds. It would be more effective to provide young people with the skills and information they need to be safe once they become sexually active-which nearly everyone eventually will."

Indeed, while the likelihood that Americans will have sex before marriage has remained virtually unchanged since the 1950s, people now wait longer to get married, so they are sexually active and unmarried for much longer than in the past. During this period, Dr. Finer concludes, young adults have an especially great need for accurate information about how to protect themselves against unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections.
Source

Full report/study (as PDF)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,355 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 11:30 am
Just think of the money that is being spent on celibacy based programs geared towards teenagers. Some organizations are really chasing their tails, although they are cleaning up on the deal!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 11:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Just think of the money that is being spent on celibacy based programs geared towards teenagers. Some organizations are really chasing their tails, although they are cleaning up on the deal!

I thought the same thing Phoenix and so did this report from CNN:

CNN article

Quote:

"The data clearly show that the majority of older teens and adults have already had sex before marriage, which calls into question the federal government's funding of abstinence-only-until-marriage programs for 12- to 29-year-olds," Finer said.

Under the Bush administration, such programs have received hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding.

"It would be more effective," Finer said, "to provide young people with the skills and information they need to be safe once they become sexually active -- which nearly everyone eventually will."

Wade Horn, assistant secretary for children and families at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, defended the abstinence-only approach for teenagers.

"One of its values is to help young people delay the onset of sexual activity," he said. "The longer one delays, the fewer lifetime sex partners they have, and the less the risk of contracting sexually transmitted disease."

He insisted there was no federal mission against premarital sex among adults.

"Absolutely not," Horn said. "The Bush administration does not believe the government should be regulating or stigmatizing the behavior of adults."

Horn said he found the high percentages of premarital sex cited in the study to be plausible, and expressed hope that society would not look askance at the small minority that chooses to remain abstinent before marriage.

However, Janice Crouse of Concerned Women for America, a conservative group which strongly supports abstinence-only education, said she was skeptical of the findings.

"Any time I see numbers that high, I'm a little suspicious," she said. "The numbers are too pat."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:39 pm
I wonder how that stat correlates with another stat I heard recently. It freaks me out that 90% of American households have a copy of the bible in them. I am still having a hard time with the numbers.......
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:42 pm
Hmmmm. Well, I've got a Bible.

I've also got a Koran, a Book of Mormon, and Gilgamesh. There might be a Rig Veda around somewhere.

I don't value any of them as much as my copy of the Rattle Bag, but they're still there.

Is that creepy?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:44 pm
littlek wrote:
I wonder how that stat correlates with another stat I heard recently. It freaks me out that 90% of American households have a copy of the bible in them. I am still having a hard time with the numbers.......

Well, where better to hide the condoms so the kids won't find them?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:48 pm
Must be all those immigrants.

A lot of them are really hot blooded.
0 Replies

littlek

rattle bag? Is that a bag of bones you toss to see your fortune?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Only 95%? That means 5% of us buy before we try. I'm shocked! Shocked!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:59 pm
Come to think of it, I'm shocked too. Do they include celibates in that 5%?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:38 pm
I've got a bible too. I bet there are a lot of people who have one for non-religious reasons -- it belonged to a religious ancestor, or was a gift that hasn't been thrown out yet, or mere interest in it as an important book (no spirituality attached). (That last one is me. I read the whole thing at some point, if glancingly [begats are like way boring].)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:09 pm
I will be happy to believe that many of those households which keep bibles do so for philosophical and literal reasons.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:27 pm
Somewhat related post by me -

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2439586&highlight=yorker+bible#2439586
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 11:42 pm
Whew! This article is a load off my mind. For a while there I thought I was the only one!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 04:26 am
littlek wrote:

I don't have a bible in my house, so I must be one of the 10%. Anyone who goes to a hotel in the US, whether it be a 4 star hotel or a roach motel, will find a copy of the bible placed there by the Gideons. I have always wondered how they were able to put a bible in so many places.

http://www.gideons.org/
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 07:41 am
NickFun wrote:
Whew! This article is a load off my mind. For a while there I thought I was the only one!

Nope. It's a whole 5% of the population.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 08:02 am
From the Green Witch article:

Quote:
Wade Horn, assistant secretary for children and families at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, defended the abstinence-only approach for teenagers.

"One of its values is to help young people delay the onset of sexual activity," he said. "The longer one delays, the fewer lifetime sex partners they have, and the less the risk of contracting sexually transmitted disease."

Good thing I'm not relying on the federal program to teach my kids.

They know it just takes ONE partner to get infected.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 08:07 am
I hear what you are saying, but statistically, the statement that they make is not wrong. It is all a matter of probabilities. The problem is, that they are only telling half the story. They ARE ignoring the fact that a virgin who sleeps with one guy can contract AIDS as well.

Which shows to go ya.........................never allow the facts to interfere with deeply held beliefs! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 08:15 am
Oh, I understand the "statistically..." part.

But, 12 - 18 year olds don't. They are invincible.

The last thing I want them armed with is a statistical rationalization in the heat of a moment.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 08:24 am
squinney- I agree. Young people need to know all of the options, if they are going to experiment with sex........which they will. The point that I was making is that the groups that promote abstinence are flying in the face of reality.
0 Replies