Contest – Has Gay Marriage Hurt your Marriage

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:15 am
Be the first couple to show Gay Marriage has hurt your marriage

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2006/12/12/1165938505_9816.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,465 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:56 am
I not understand.

You mean gay happy?

Happy marriage of others not make change other marriage I think.

You mean gay homonsexual?

I still not understand how homonsexual marriage make change persons marriage.

You can explain maybe?

But happy marriage not good for Borat Sister business.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:05 pm
It is gay marriage as in homosexual marriage. In Mass. this sort of marriage is now legal. Many opponents of gay marriage say they oppose making gay marriage legal because it threatens their own heterosexual marriage.

The cartoon is a joke about that opposition.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:12 pm
Ah, thanking you! This is joke.

Yes, this idea is silly, not making sense. Now I understand.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:13 pm
New Jersey legislature just passed "Civil Unions" creating a separate but equal situation.

My marriage is not affected by others being in same sex marriages, my wife says we have the same sex all the time. (cymbal splash)

Joe(I'm for anything that let's love thrive.)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:22 pm
I don't understand most of these positions that people take, but then, i don't really understand sex. I avoid sex--i hate being alone like that.

[size=8](Thanks to Mr. Dangerfield.)[/size]
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:26 pm
I forget who I stole my line from.

Joe(and it's not likely I would say if I hadn't)Nation
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:29 pm
I should think only the tiniest fraction of the people who oppose gay marriage do so on the grounds that it will hurt their marriage. This is just a red herring. Sometime, just for laughs, argue against an opinion you disagree with based on what it's advocates actuatelly do say.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:36 pm
That's an unsupported contention on your part, Brandon.

A search at Google with the parameter: "homosexual marriage diminishes traditional marriage" yielded 72,000 results in 0.28 secons.

search results
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:38 pm
A search at Google with the parameter: "homosexual marriage threatens traditional marriage" yielded 564,000 results in 0.33 seconds.

Search results

Sure seems as though somebody is making that argument--and making it frequently.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:40 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I should think only the tiniest fraction of the people who oppose gay marriage do so on the grounds that it will hurt their marriage. This is just a red herring. Sometime, just for laughs, argue against an opinion you disagree with based on what it's advocates actuatelly do say.

I just thought the cartoon was funny - jeepers don't try to make this into a serious debate about gay marriage. - just have fun.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:41 pm
I think Brandon clicked on it after reading the title hoping he could win!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:46 pm
Setanta wrote:
A search at Google with the parameter: "homosexual marriage threatens traditional marriage" yielded 564,000 results in 0.33 seconds.

Search results

Sure seems as though somebody is making that argument--and making it frequently.

Interesting result. I'm surprised that many opponents base their opposition on that argument. I do wonder, though, what percentage of the opponents they represent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:46 pm
A Google search with the parameter: "homosexual marriage hurts traditional marriage" yielded 761,000 results in 0.20 seconds.

One can reasonably object that not all of the results represent cases of people claiming that homosexual marriage hurts, threatens or diminishes traditional marriage--but that does not alter that many of the search results lead to web pages which make exactly that claim. Brandon has written: This is just a red herring. Sometime, just for laughs, argue against an opinion you disagree with based on what it's advocates actuatelly [sic] do say. Brandon's contention that this is a red herring is patently false.

For an interesting example of what people claim that traditional marriage is threatened by homosexual marriage really do have to say, i suggest reading at the Wisconsin Coalition for Traditional Marriage, Inc. page (Cheeses, they're incorporated, no less). One interesting entry on this FAQ page is:

Quote:
Q.11: How would so-called homosexual "marriage" hurt traditional marriage, children and families?
A: There are 4 main ways:

1) Marriage is about the next generation. Legal sanction of so-called homosexual "marriage" would always deny children either a mother or a father. A compassionate and loving society always comes to the aid of motherless and fatherless families. It never intentionally creates such families, and yet that is what homosexual "marriage" would do. These types of homosexual families are based on the desires of the adults, not the needs of the children. No child-development theory says children need parents of the same gender, but rather that children need their mothers and fathers.

2) Homosexual "marriage" is a vast, untested social experiment with children. No society, at any time, has ever raised a generation of children in homosexual families. In this instance, children are allowed to become the subject of sociological experiments for the sake of adult sexual desires.

3) If marriage is redefined to include two people of the same gender, where would it stop? How do we say no to group marriage? If marriage is simply about love and commitment, on what basis do we deny group marriage? There are already lawsuits underway challenging the laws that prohibit polygamy on the same grounds as used by homosexual "marriage" proponents. Is it bigotry and discrimination to oppose polygamy and group marriage? Of course not. Just like it is not bigotry or discrimination to protect the traditional and historical institution of marriage as one man and one woman.

4) If so-called homosexual "marriage" is legalized, school children will be taught it is the same as traditional marriage. The people of Wisconsin don't believe homosexual "marriage" is the same as traditional marriage. Yet if we allow the legalization of so-called homosexual "marriage," this will happen. There are already books written for small school children, such as Heather Has Two Mommies, Daddy's Roommate and King and King.

You really blew it that time, Brandon.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:49 pm
O-K stop with the stats and debate - this is supposed to be funny.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
A Google search with the parameter: "homosexual marriage hurts traditional marriage" yielded 761,000 results in 0.20 seconds.

One can reasonably object that not all of the results represent cases of people claiming that homosexual marriage hurts, threatens or diminishes traditional marriage--but that does not alter that many of the search results lead to web pages which make exactly that claim. Brandon has written: This is just a red herring. Sometime, just for laughs, argue against an opinion you disagree with based on what it's advocates actuatelly [sic] do say. Brandon's contention that this is a red herring is patently false.

For an interesting example of what people claim that traditional marriage is threatened by homosexual marriage really do have to say, i suggest reading at the Wisconsin Coalition for Traditional Marriage, Inc. page (Cheeses, they're incorporated, no less). One interesting entry on this FAQ page is:

Quote:
Q.11: How would so-called homosexual "marriage" hurt traditional marriage, children and families?
A: There are 4 main ways:

1) Marriage is about the next generation. Legal sanction of so-called homosexual "marriage" would always deny children either a mother or a father. A compassionate and loving society always comes to the aid of motherless and fatherless families. It never intentionally creates such families, and yet that is what homosexual "marriage" would do. These types of homosexual families are based on the desires of the adults, not the needs of the children. No child-development theory says children need parents of the same gender, but rather that children need their mothers and fathers.

2) Homosexual "marriage" is a vast, untested social experiment with children. No society, at any time, has ever raised a generation of children in homosexual families. In this instance, children are allowed to become the subject of sociological experiments for the sake of adult sexual desires.

3) If marriage is redefined to include two people of the same gender, where would it stop? How do we say no to group marriage? If marriage is simply about love and commitment, on what basis do we deny group marriage? There are already lawsuits underway challenging the laws that prohibit polygamy on the same grounds as used by homosexual "marriage" proponents. Is it bigotry and discrimination to oppose polygamy and group marriage? Of course not. Just like it is not bigotry or discrimination to protect the traditional and historical institution of marriage as one man and one woman.

4) If so-called homosexual "marriage" is legalized, school children will be taught it is the same as traditional marriage. The people of Wisconsin don't believe homosexual "marriage" is the same as traditional marriage. Yet if we allow the legalization of so-called homosexual "marriage," this will happen. There are already books written for small school children, such as Heather Has Two Mommies, Daddy's Roommate and King and King.

You really blew it that time, Brandon.

I may be wrong, but the fact that many gay marriage opponents are in that group, and the fact that there is an article about them still doesn't answer the question as to what fraction of the opponents they represent. There might, for example, be a million people who oppose gay marriage for this reason, but many millions who oppose it for other reasons. I guess I don't know how it breaks down, but if this is the primary reason why people oppose gay marriage, I'd be surprised.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:53 pm
Linkat wrote:

When you post an article ridiculing a belief, you can hardly be surprised that people who have that belief respond. If I someday post a cartoon depicting all liberals as ignorant and uneducated people, I'm sure that no liberals will try to defend themselves.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:54 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Linkat wrote:

When you post an article ridiculing a belief, you can hardly be surprised that people who have that belief respond. If I someday post a cartoon depicting all liberals as ignorant and uneducated people, I'm sure that no liberals will try to defend themselves.

Well, Duh . . .

A course not, everyone knows that describes conservatives . . . sheesh . . .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:59 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Linkat wrote:

"Article" should read "cartoon."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 01:00 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Linkat wrote:

By the way I am not a liberal - I just thought it was funny.
0 Replies