cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 09:33 am
parados: You have tried to explain that the Government can print as much money as it wants and it won't cost anything. That is bunk. You think the government can print money without borrowing and there will be no inflationary pressures. Money is money whether there is a central bank or not. Printing money without borrowing causes inflation because increasing the money supply devalues the monetary unit unless that monetary unit is supported by borrowing.

Spot on! Except, we're already at that stage of over-supply of US currency floating on this planet. Just imagine one scenario: our government has lost control of billions of US currency in Iraq. Nobody seems to care.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 06:09 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
parados: You have tried to explain that the Government can print as much money as it wants and it won't cost anything. That is bunk. You think the government can print money without borrowing and there will be no inflationary pressures. Money is money whether there is a central bank or not. Printing money without borrowing causes inflation because increasing the money supply devalues the monetary unit unless that monetary unit is supported by borrowing.

Spot on! Except, we're already at that stage of over-supply of US currency floating on this planet. Just imagine one scenario: our government has lost control of billions of US currency in Iraq. Nobody seems to care.

This guy doesnt have any common sense, CI. He is too 'textbook smart' for lack of a better term. He believes a $100 FRN is equal in value to a $100 T-Bond because he read a book that said so.

I think it was Ben Franklin who said common sense is not so common.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 07:40 pm
Since you think a $1,000 Treas bond is not close to the same value as a $1,000 in Fed Res Note perhaps you can enlighten us all as to the value of each.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 07:11 pm
parados wrote:
Since you think a $1,000 Treas bond is not close to the same value as a $1,000 in Fed Res Note perhaps you can enlighten us all as to the value of each.

Whatever I say, It will fall on deaf ears with you. You wont be convinced because you dont see the crime being committed. Like Ive told you before; you'll have to unlearn what youve learned before you 'get it.'

Of course since most people either wont or cant do this, nothing will wake them up except a great depression.. In this case, it looks like an inflationary depression. When it comes, you wont need me to say "I told you so."
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 01:34 pm
Oh, it won't fall on deaf ears at all Richard. In fact if you say what you should say based on your rhetoric it will definitely not fall on deaf ears but it will be eager ears your statement will fall on.

So please tell us what a T-bond's value is compared to Fed Reserve notes.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 05:40 pm
The Constitution is supposed to be interpreted under the doctrine known as "original intent." Original intent means how the document would have been interpreted in the year it was written by any common citizen with average intelligence. During the time of the writing of the Constitution "money" was made from gold or silver and stamped into "coins."

Currency and paper money were known as "bills of credit." Paper currency was NOT considered money. This is a very fine point, but trust me on it. Most Americans are TOTALLY confused on that the following words mean as to their original intents: money, coin, paper, bills of credit, paper currency, currency, fiat money, and legal tender.

Section 10 clearly states that "No state shall ... make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts." Yes, but it doesn't prohibit the federal government from doing so, which it did.

But you have to interpret in context with the views of the day, and in those days fiat money was a serious no-no. Also, every fiat issuing central bank the US has so far had prior to the Fed has been disbanded when the citizens (re)discovered what in store for them with an unbacked currency. Citizens of today will also relearn this lesson when the Federal Reserve Note crumbles.

Anything can be declared to be money by government fiat. The US government has declared that worthless pieces of paper shall be "money." They're not. They're just tokens. Governments like to print up PAPER money because they CAN'T print up GOLD. Duh! And now they have run us $9 trillion into debt. Who do you think the government sells the T-Bonds to when US citizens and foreigners are all tapped out?
Answer: The Fed. And where does the Fed get this money to pay for the bonds? Answer: They print it. So this, and fractional reserve, have been INFLATING the money supply so much, it now takes 96 cents to purchase what it used to take only 4 cents to print. Your money is turning into crap thanks to the unconstitutional Federal Reserve System.

The issue is this: you can't print gold. The Founders knew this. Paper currency backed by gold is another check and balance. People can turn their paper in for gold if they thing the government is printing up too much of it. The 1913 Glass-Owen Act put in fractional reserve and began the removal of that check and balance. Congress gave private New York banks control over the money supply and the authorization to print up as much as they wanted to lend to Congress and charge interest on this fiat money.

Are you saying Jefferson, Kennedy et al; were wrong?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 06:10 pm
Tryagain, Nice try, but the currency established as the US dollar has value as long as people gives it value. No printed or coined currency on this planet is "supported" by gold - except gold and silver coins. We don't use those gold and silver coins, because they are given "value" by the people who own and/or sell them - usually investors or coin collectors..

Nobody gets paid in gold or silver; it's backed only by the notes issued by the Federal Reserve; it's still used as "legal tender for all debts, public and private."

As for your point about inflation, I agree; there are more dollars floating around the world than there will ever be gold, silver or products and services during our lifetime in support of it. Essentially, we are all playing with monopoly money, but as long as it works, we'll continue to give it value.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 07:43 pm
Tryagain wrote:
The Constitution is supposed to be interpreted under the doctrine known as "original intent." Original intent means how the document would have been interpreted in the year it was written by any common citizen with average intelligence. During the time of the writing of the Constitution "money" was made from gold or silver and stamped into "coins."

I guess someone should tell the collectors of Continental currency
that Tryagain thinks they don't really exist.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:13 pm
parados wrote:
Tryagain wrote:

Hah, even when it comes to the 18th century you still dont understand money.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:40 am
So Richard.. when are you going to tell me what a T-bond is worth compared to Federal Reserve Notes.

I get the impression you don't want to tell us because it would make you look like a fool.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:42 am
Richard Saunders wrote:
parados wrote:
Tryagain wrote:

The last time I checked printed paper was not gold or silver stamped into a coin. If you have different information, please tell us which precious metal paper is.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 10:47 am
In 1776, the Continental Congress authorized plans to produce a silver coin to prop up the rapidly failing Continental--the first attempt by the fledgling US at paper currency. Several examples were struck in brass, pewter, and silver, but a circulating coin was not produced, due in large part to the financial difficulties of running the Revolutionary War.

The Continental Dollar bears a date of 1776, and while it's true denomination is not known, it is generally the size of later dollars, and the name has stuck. The failure of the Continental exacerbated a distrust of paper money amongst both politicians and the populace at large.

The letters of Thomas Jefferson indicate that he wished the United States to eschew paper money and instead mint coins of similar perceived value and worth to those foreign coins circulating at the time.

BTW What's the value of a One Ounce Silver Eagle dollar?

About $20!!!!!Now which would you rather have?

Jefferson was right.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 10:49 am
Tryagain wrote:
In 1776, the Continental Congress authorized plans to produce a silver coin to prop up the rapidly failing Continental--the first attempt by the fledgling US at paper currency. Several examples were struck in brass, pewter, and silver, but a circulating coin was not produced, due in large part to the financial difficulties of running the Revolutionary War.

The Continental Dollar bears a date of 1776, and while it's true denomination is not known, it is generally the size of later dollars, and the name has stuck. The failure of the Continental exacerbated a distrust of paper money amongst both politicians and the populace at large.

The letters of Thomas Jefferson indicate that he wished the United States to eschew paper money and instead mint coins of similar perceived value and worth to those foreign coins circulating at the time.

BTW What's the value of a One Ounce Silver Eagle dollar?

About $20!!!!!Now which would you rather have?

Jefferson was right.

It depends on the rarity of the coin. Some are worth a whole lot more than $20.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 10:50 am
The 1895 Morgan Dollar: The 1895 Morgan Dollar is known as the "King of the Morgan Dollars" because it is the rarest and most valuable of the entire Morgan Dollar series. MS-68 specimens of this rare coin have sold for upwards of $120,000 at auction.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 03:50 pm
parados wrote:
So Richard.. when are you going to tell me what a T-bond is worth compared to Federal Reserve Notes.

I get the impression you don't want to tell us because it would make you look like a fool.

I figured it would be just more wasted conversation with you. But I'll indulge you.

While both T-Bonds and Federal Reserve Notes are denominated in dollars, the federal reserve notes wind up costing more than their face value. In fact it creates a situation where there is never enough money in circulation to pay off the debt created by the issuance of the currency.

Look at a $100 FRN from 1963. How much has that cost the govt so far?
At a 5% interest rate the government has already paid $220 for it over the years and must still pay $100 to redeem it. So the real cost of this $100 is really $320.

Compare that to a $100 US Note from 1963. How much has that cost the govt so far? Somewhere around 2 cents.

So should the country have to pay $320 or 2 cents for a $100 Bill ?

The real issue here is seignorage. Honestly, if a country like America can issue a $100 Bond, why shouldn't it be able to issue a $100 Bill?
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 03:51 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
The 1895 Morgan Dollar: The 1895 Morgan Dollar is known as the "King of the Morgan Dollars" because it is the rarest and most valuable of the entire Morgan Dollar series. MS-68 specimens of this rare coin have sold for upwards of $120,000 at auction.

damn.. not bad
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 03:55 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Tryagain, Nice try, but the currency established as the US dollar has value as long as people gives it value. No printed or coined currency on this planet is "supported" by gold - except gold and silver coins. We don't use those gold and silver coins, because they are given "value" by the people who own and/or sell them - usually investors or coin collectors..

Nobody gets paid in gold or silver; it's backed only by the notes issued by the Federal Reserve; it's still used as "legal tender for all debts, public and private."

As for your point about inflation, I agree; there are more dollars floating around the world than there will ever be gold, silver or products and services during our lifetime in support of it. Essentially, we are all playing with monopoly money, but as long as it works, we'll continue to give it value.

Just FYI: IRS just lost a big case from some company who was paying contractors in gold and silver coins. Because basing the coins on their face amount the company wasnt even required to file 1099s and such. Evidently they would give a guy a morgan dollar for payment for x amount of labor, but it could only be counted a dollar for income tax purposes.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 04:01 pm
parados wrote:
Richard Saunders wrote:
parados wrote:
Tryagain wrote:

The last time I checked printed paper was not gold or silver stamped into a coin. If you have different information, please tell us which precious metal paper is.

Point was that continentals were before the Constitution.
Yes, there is no specie backing our currency and that means paper currency is unconstitutional. Its illegal according to the highest law of the land.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:07 pm
Richard:
Just FYI: IRS just lost a big case from some company who was paying contractors in gold and silver coins. Because basing the coins on their face amount the company wasnt even required to file 1099s and such. Evidently they would give a guy a morgan dollar for payment for x amount of labor, but it could only be counted a dollar for income tax purposes.

Richard, Can you provide a source for this incident? It's the first time I'm hearing about this scam. LOL
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:13 pm
I am sure I posted this information a short time back.
0 Replies