I'm at wits end with my son...

snookered

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:08 pm
Re: I'm at wits end with my son...
martybarker wrote:
He's 12, on medication for ADD(doesn't have the hyperactivity associated with ADD thank goodness), can't seem to turn in his homework, can't seem to remember to do something 5 minutes after you ask him to, I am constantly reminding him to get dressed for bed,wash your face,brush your teeth......Ahhhhh,I can't take it. What should I do??

First, he is twelve....
I have a few questions. Why is he on ADD, seems like it's not working. Have you taken him to a Neurologist to see if there is a medical reason for his seemingly lapse in memory?
What is his attitude like? Is he hostile or depressed? Do you really think that it's him not remembering or is he being obstinate.
Please don't take offense, are you divorced and if so was it messy? Did he witness a lot of parental fighting, especially physical? If not, where is his father?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:09 pm
He was diagnosed ADD by his pediatrician before my husband made his wishes for a divorce known. Although his teacher could not say that in her opinion he was ADD, she did say that from her experience he displayed the characteristics. He is not hyperactive, just easily distracted. As a toddler, he hated loud noises and constantly covered his ears or cried at the sounds of sirens. If he was watching TV or playing with toys I'd have to call his name at least 3 times before he would acknowlede me. He is not obstinent as he has a huge heart and is a generally caring individual.
His father and I never fought until he announced his desire to leave. The divorce was somewhat messy as I unfortunately spiraled into a depression. Our fights were never physical and his father is in his life as much as the parenting plan allows.
So in answering your questions, what is your opinion?
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:58 pm
martybarker wrote:
He was diagnosed ADD by his pediatrician before my husband made his wishes for a divorce known. Although his teacher could not say that in her opinion he was ADD, she did say that from her experience he displayed the characteristics. He is not hyperactive, just easily distracted. As a toddler, he hated loud noises and constantly covered his ears or cried at the sounds of sirens. If he was watching TV or playing with toys I'd have to call his name at least 3 times before he would acknowlede me. He is not obstinent as he has a huge heart and is a generally caring individual.
His father and I never fought until he announced his desire to leave. The divorce was somewhat messy as I unfortunately spiraled into a depression. Our fights were never physical and his father is in his life as much as the parenting plan allows.
So in answering your questions, what is your opinion?

You probably have had his hearing checked. His reaction to sirens and loud noises makes me suspect Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Was he involved or witness to an accident as a toddler? If his hearing was fine as a toddler, then there must be a something that happened and had a huge impact on him. His distractions are likely concentration problems. Check out the side effects of his medication.
What ever you and your husband went through, he also went through it. He knew you were depressed and with the family unit change it surly affected him.
When you and your son communicate directly one on one, does he respond and is he attentive?
I believe that there is something bothering him much more than his need for personal hygiene, or listening to you. You don't nag him do you?
For all you know he just might not hear you. Be sure to check the side effects of his medication. Get his hearing checked.
One way to start making him "listen" or to do his chores is to start taking something he values each time his misbehaves. Keep taking away thinks he likes each time and don't stop. If he does something good give him back something you took away.
Remember he went through a Traumatic situation as did you with the divorce. Kids hear and know more than we realize. Sometimes they internalize what has happened. He may blame himself for the divorce, and your depression.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:16 pm
I realize that how my divorce affected me had some affect on the kids too. My son's issues started long before my husband showed signs of wanting out. My son just can't keep focused and sometimes I just don't have the energy to deal with his lack of attentiveness, household chores, working, running the kids around....you know, all the typical single mother issues.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:26 am
MB, have you ever seen the book, "Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:40 am
A friend at work has that book, I should ask her about it again. Have you read it?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:49 am
It's how I survived! An excerpt:

Quote:
It's difficult to describe what it is like to be the parent of a spirited child. The answer keeps changing; it depends on the day, even the moment. How does one describe the experience of sliding from joy to exasperation in seconds, ten times a day. How does one explain the "sense" at eight in the morning that this will be a good day or a dreadful one.

The good ones couldn't be better. A warm snuggle and sloppy kiss awaken you. He captures you with his funny antics as he stands in front of the dog, a glob of peanut butter clinging to a knife hidden in the palm of his hand, and asks, "Is Susie a rotten sister?" The dog listens attentively. The hand moves just slightly up and down like a magical wand. The dog's nose follows the scent, appearing to nod in agreement. You can't help laughing.

Profound statements roll from his mouth, much too mature and intel­lectual for a child of his age. He remembers experiences you've long since forgotten and drags you to the window to watch the raindrops, falling like diamonds from the sky. On the good days being the parent of a spirited child is astounding, dumbfounding, wonderful, funny, interesting, and interspersed with moments of brilliance.

The dreadful days are another story. On those days you're not sure you can face another twenty-four hours with him. It's hard to feel good as a parent when you can't even get his socks on, when every word you've said to him has been a reprimand, when the innocent act of serving tuna casserole instead of the expected tacos incites a riot, when you realize you've left more public places in a huff with your child in five years than most parents do in a lifetime.

You feel weary, drained, and much too old for this even if you were only in your twenties when your child was born. It's hard to love a kid who keeps you up at night and embarrasses you in shopping centers.

On the bad days being the parent of a spirited child is confusing, frustrating, taxing, challenging, and guilt inducing. You may wonder if you are the only parent with a kid like this, scared of what is to come in the teen years if you don't figure out what to do now, in the early years.
Source
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:40 am
JPB wrote:
It's how I survived!

Well, to be honest that isn't entirely true. It's what got my head out of the sand. The book focuses on temperament - his and yours. Understanding temperaments and then looking at how you are interacting with him can be helpful in accepting him for who he is and yourself for who you are (particularly if he comes by some of his more exasperating traits through your gene pool :wink: ). A similar book is, "Understanding Your Child's Temperament", by William Carey, M.D. is another good one.

What really got me moving forward was letting go of anything that really didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I also stopped arbitrary punishments and let her deal with the natural consequence of her actions. Note that I did not say we didn't have/use discipline, only that we didn't respond with unrelated punishments.

Your son is 12 years old. He's old enough to understand that if he fails seventh (?) grade he will get to repeat it again next year (natural consequence). Is that what he wants? Probably not. Letting him know that you won't rescue him (if you have been) from his own inactivity and that it's time to show the world what he can do begins now. Then let him do it. It's hard and I still struggle with not rescuing (because that is MY nature), but it really is for the best.

I still keep in contact with teachers so that we know how things are going. I haven't found a teacher yet who was unwilling to give us regular feedback. There are still ongoing concerns, but we've stopped battling over them.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:43 am
I don't know. Seth is such a good hearted kid, too. Did that kind of thing with the dog... well, actually he still does. He didn't seem to do things like not turning in homework even though it is done, out of spite ever. He just didn't remember to do so. He's always been unorganized. In Junior High a teacher took him to his locker to look for his homework and found a mound of work for several classes, complete but not turned in.

Now that he is 16, there may be some spite factor playing into it, especially if Bear gets onto him about it or grounds him. I'm trying to push the "You are responsible for your own actions" and "the decisions you make regarding school and grades now are yours to own for the rest of your life." He says he knows that. I'm trying to back out and let him have the learning experiences necessary for him to actually get the implications. Not always easy to do.

There really haven't been any "bad" days with Seth as far as behavior, attitude, etc. He's very even keel. A bad day meant he asked so many "Why" questions that I was exhausted, not that he acted out in any way. Embarrasing me at the grocery store meant he rode in the cart asking each man we passed "Are you my Daddy?" (and that one was at three-ish!), not that he threw a tantrum over not getting a piece of candy. He never did that!

I may be wrong, but I'm getting the feeling this may be closer to what Marty is dealing with. I'll finish by saying... Seth had extremely good hearing and vision. I would love to know if there is a connection to that, and maybe the inattention is a mental way to block too much sensory input. Or, maybe it starts as a coping method for that when they are little and then becomes part of their personality.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:51 am
martybarker wrote:

I worry about his well-being constantly. I worry about his social skills, his self image, and his schoolwork.

Then in the midst of all this worry, he calls my cell phone while I'm driving to work just to tell me that he forgot to tell me he loved me that morning.

I am blessed and I know that someday he will be successful in whatever path his life takes him.

THAT is SOOOO Seth!!!

And, even when he's with his friends and they can hear him, he finishes his call to me by saying "Bye. I love you, Mommy."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 12:10 pm
We didn't have tantrums or outbursts much either. More of an introverted, hold everything in anxiety that consumed her thoughts and kept her from focusing on other things. There are also some seasonal issues in play in our situation (I mentioned those before) and the combination of seasonal depression and high anxiety manifest themselves similarly to ADD type behaviors.

The thing that caught my attention was the mention of MB's son being highly sensitive to sounds. General sensitivity was a big issue here (and one of many traits described in the book). Seams in socks, new crisp clothes (I searched for, and ultimately found Christmas dresses in jersey knit), loud noises, and unexpected stimuli (from a charging dog or popping balloon, for instance) were HUGE triggers.

The bottom line is that K's a great kid, as I'm sure are Seth and MB's son. The creative, musical, artistic ones - particularly those with certain temperamental traits - sometimes struggle in an academic environment. It's sure hard to stand by and watch, while trying to balance being an advocate without rescuing.
0 Replies

Loren Whetstone

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:23 am
Im not really sure either but my 12 year old brother I swear hes got add. When your son gets home get into his bag and see if hes got any homework to do and if he does get it out and sit down with him to do it. After that tell him that he needs to do what you asked and give him a reward for doing it. Then maybe he'll get the routine down and he wont need to be rewarded about things. Dont yell cuz that does nothing to a child. I hope this little advise helps you. Thats what we do with my brother and its worked. Best wishes. Just dont give up on him!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:30 am
Loren - Welcome to A2K and thank you for your input.

What has your experience been as a sibling?
0 Replies

Loren Whetstone

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 11:00 am
Putting up with all his hyperness and getting really anoyed by it. but Ive realized that if i dont help him hes no going to learn and he'll calm down. Its better to work with him than yell and get fustreated with him.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:50 pm
Nice to hear your point of view. My son has a heart of gold and brings joy to my life every day. But I got to tell you that sometimes the difficulty of getting him to do the things he should be doing can be a stressor. It's nice to have this forum to vent a bit and to get advice. Very Happy
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:25 pm
Just venting.......3 F's, 1 D, and a B in PE ugggghhhhhhhh
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:29 pm
Oh, Marty...
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:40 pm
I have severe ADD or I guess now I have ADHD.

I don't think doctors know what the hell they are talking about.

Don't make him feel inferior. You will give him low self esteem make him lose his will and he will become a loser.

What the "professionals" call "ADD", and this might sound strange, has served me in alot of ways. Not everybodys mind works the same way and that is not a inferior condition. I have made clowns and ran circles around many a "normal" and educated person.

I think alot hidden talents come along with ADD. I know this sounds strange but there is a balalnce and I surpass alot of people in alot of ways. Where you lose in one area you gain in another.

Now if I can just remember where I left my wallet. Laughing

Noddy24

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:00 pm
Marty--

He's hell-bent on doing things his way, isn't he?

What does he say about his grades? Will he have to go to summer school? Repeat the year?

Vent away. That kid doesn't realize that school is really important--and until he comes to this realization your opinion doesn't count much.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 03:43 pm
Private tutoring for the summer. Was spending $400/month on a learning center. But yeah, he likes things his way.
He was telling me that he doesn't understand the need for art teachers since art should be an individuals impression. Then a year ago when I would tell him that his shirt should match his pants and that he should comb his hair he would say"It's whats on the inside that counts!"
But he is the sweetest boy and has a truely caring personality.
0 Replies