All things Pelosi

McGentrix

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:49 am
http://cagle.msnbc.com/working/070409/ramirez.jpg

Oh, and I meant to say congress people, not senators. Slip of the fingers, mea culpa.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:52 am
http://cagle.msnbc.com/working/070409/breen.gif
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:53 am
http://cagle.msnbc.com/working/070406/varvel.jpg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:55 am
http://cagle.msnbc.com/working/070405/locher.gif

Just catching up.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 10:44 am
Krugman has it and has it exactly.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 04:53 pm
Pelosi 'might' be willing to visit Iran
Dem Rep. hints; White House calls possible lawmaker trip 'troubling.'
link
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:15 pm
I have to wonder why the dems admitted to having an "alternate foreign policy,and why they think they have the authority to try and implement it

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/02/MNGI0P00921.DTL&hw=democrat+alternative+foreign+policy&sn=881&sc=714

Quote:
"We have an alternative Democratic foreign policy," Lantos said. "I view my job as beginning with restoring overseas credibility and respect for the United States."

That was by Tom Lantos.

Whether the dems like it or not,the President sets foreign policy,not congress.
Another thing I dont understand is why Nancy said that she told Syria the same things Bush has said,but sher also said in a press conference that the current foreign policy was "empty and needed to be changed"

So,we have her saying one thing,and Tom Lantos saying something totally different.
Which one is lying?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:25 pm
The Dems are adopting the position of the Baker-Hamilton Commission, which was totally ignored by Bush. To my knowledge, Bush didn't even have the courtesy of mentioning the Commission's recommendations.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:46 pm
Advocate wrote:
The Dems are adopting the position of the Baker-Hamilton Commission, which was totally ignored by Bush. To my knowledge, Bush didn't even have the courtesy of mentioning the Commission's recommendations.

That does not change the fact that it is NOT the job of Congress to set foreign policy.
That is strictly the Presidents job.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 05:54 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:

That does not change the fact that it is NOT the job of Congress to set foreign policy.
That is strictly the Presidents job.
Idea
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:17 pm
perhaps we need a foreign policy czar who could share an office with a war czar and a monkey with a typewriter. We could house them in the Dept of Justice.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 11:47 am
I guess our war president is tired of the daily grind of making war. I wonder whether he offered the job to Wolfowitz, the war's architect. But Wolfie is busy chasing his live-in who got a great severance package when she left the bank.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 11:43 am
http://cagle.msnbc.com/working/070414/ramirez.jpg
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:12 pm
Quote:
On one hand, Bush extended an offer to meet with lawmakers next Tuesday. On the other, the White House bluntly said it would not be a negotiating session.

source

Most people agree with democrats on this one.

Quote:
Do you think the United States should or should not set a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq sometime in 2008?

Should 57
Should not 38
DK/NA 5

Which of these comes closest to your opinion? 1. Congress should block all funding war in Iraq no matter what OR 2. Congress should allow funding only for a limited period of time OR 3. Congress should allow all funding for the war in Iraq without a time limit.

Block all funding 9
Allow only w/time limit 58
Should allow all funding 29
Don't know/No answer 4

link to CBS poll at this site
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:38 pm
McGentrix wrote:
http://cagle.msnbc.com/working/070414/ramirez.jpg

Thank goodness for cartoons. Without them, how would McG be able to think for himself?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 01:38 pm
Joe, I think I will let George respond to you.

http://home.comcast.net/~daschor/clipart/bush_middle_finger.png
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:12 pm
McG, I don't agree with your views, but enjoy your cartoons. Please keep them coming.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:22 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Joe, I think I will let George respond to you.

Still looking for an original thought, I see.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 06:23 pm
Final War Funding Bill in Works
Quote:
U.S. Divided on Pullout, Favor Congress to Set Policy, Poll Finds

Congress and the White House will move this week toward a final showdown over a contested war funding bill, with most Americans trusting Democrats over President Bush to set Iraq policy but with sentiment deeply divided over Congress's push to set a deadline for withdrawing U.S. forces.

Democratic leaders will formally convene House and Senate negotiators tomorrow to hammer out a final version of the bill, hoping to have the compromise on Bush's desk by the end of next week. The president and Democratic leaders again exchanged verbal fire yesterday.

Bush used a backdrop of military families to declare: "We should not legislate defeat in this vital war." Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.), flanked by retired Army generals, fired back, "The president and the vice president continue to desperately cling to their failed escalation strategy and attack those who disagree with them."

Democrats appear to be standing on firm political ground, as they work toward a final bill. A Washington Post-ABC News poll of 1,141 adults, conducted April 12-15, found that 58 percent trusted the Democrats in Congress to do a better job handling the situation in Iraq, compared with 33 percent who trusted Bush.

The president has taken advantage of Congress's spring recess to pound Democrats over their legislation, which would impose benchmarks for the Iraqi government to meet; create strict rules for resting, equipping and training combat troops; and set a 2008 date for the final withdrawal of U.S. troops. Despite those efforts, Bush has lost a little ground to Democrats, who in February were trusted by 54 percent to set Iraq policy.

Pessimism about the war has continued to grow. For the first time, a narrow majority of Americans, 51 percent, said the United States will lose the battle, compared with 35 percent who said the United States will win. Bush continued yesterday to say that victory in Iraq is pivotal to the larger fight against terrorism, but Americans are increasingly agreeing with the Democratic view that the issues are separate. About 57 percent now say the United States can succeed in the terrorism fight without winning the Iraq war, an increase of 10 percentage points since January, when Americans were almost evenly divided on the question.

The number of Americans who favor withdrawing U.S. forces from Iraq, even if that means civil order is not restored, held steady from February at 56 percent.

But Americans remain divided over specific policy changes. About 51 percent support legislation similar to the House bill, which would continue funding the war but would set a deadline of no later than August 2008 for the withdrawal of U.S. combat forces; 46 percent oppose such a bill.

While they fare better when compared with Bush, 62 percent of poll respondents disliked the way congressional Democrats have handled the situation in Iraq. Bush's disapproval on his handling of the war was 70 percent.

The strength of Democrats' positions comes in part because the president's overall job approval rating stands at 35 percent. A majority of Americans have not approved of Bush's job performance since January 2005, according to Post-ABC News polling.

With such uncertainties, Democratic aides and lawmakers acknowledged yesterday that reaching a final agreement in the coming days will be difficult. Leadership aides and lawmakers say negotiators are likely to accept language in the House bill that mandates that troops be given a year off between combat tours, and those tours be limited to a year -- a mandate breached last week, when the administration announced combat tours would be extended to 15 months. Under the bill, Bush would be allowed to waive such mandates with a public explanation.

The final version is also expected to include House language that would establish binding benchmarks -- such as the passage of an oil-revenue-sharing law and the quelling of sectarian violence -- for the Iraqi government to meet to ensure full U.S. military support into next year.

But on troop-withdrawal language, negotiators are likely to bend toward the Senate bill, which says troop withdrawals must begin within 120 days after bill passage but set a date of March 31, 2008, only as a goal for final withdrawals. The idea, aides said, is to show Democrats as willing to compromise with Bush and to make a veto more difficult to defend.
0 Replies