THE CANADA THREAD

cello

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 05:19 pm
Thanks for the welcome, hamburger. I am not going anywhere, a2k is a very nice forum. Smile

I like polar bears Very Happy .

We sold Churchill !?? How can we just sell a town like that? What happens to the people living there, are they Americans now?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 05:40 pm
cello :
i'm sure the people living in the port of churchill are still (mostly) canadians .
what the government sold , were the port-facilities .
(to the omnitrax corporation , a major u.s. transportation company . my guess is that no canadian company was willing to invest money in it .
it's probably still uncertain whether the arctic sealink will become reality).
see you around !
hbg
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 08:08 am
They plan to close the Hershey factory in Smith Falls, I can't believe it. It is the best touristic site in Ontario!

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/02/16/hershey.html

Now, what happens with that salmonella? I read a few days ago they recalled some peanut butter in the US. Has there been any recall of Hershey chocolate?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 08:21 am
The Hershey product recall was back in November 2006, cello.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2006/11/12/recall.html
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 11:57 am
Thanks, ehbeth. Smile Gee, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are my favorites, I eat them all the time.

Ah, there is nothing that tastes like chocolate from the Hershey factory. The first time I visited it and bought chocolates (tons) from there, I could not eat the chocolates they sold in the stores. Not at all the same. There is an unmistable freshness. Store chocolates tasted like years old, but then maybe they were. Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:03 pm
Hersheys is closing more than the Ontario plant. Most of the Pa facilities will be closed or downsized. Hersheys chocolate (which requires the admixture of a secret amount of buttermilk) will become A Maciadoros . Its a further example of the US govts. war on the middle class.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 06:38 pm
cello wrote :
Quote:
They plan to close the Hershey factory in Smith Falls, I can't believe it. It is the best touristic site in Ontario!

i sure hope we have a few other attractions left in ontario . how about picking up some cheese at the black river(prince edward county) cheese factory :wink: .
hbg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 07:45 pm
I'm Canadian bred and born as were both my parents.

I don't think of myself as being proud to be a Canadian, so much as I simply feel lucky to have been born in a country and at time, that allows greater freedoms and opportunities than some other countries, and some other times.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 07:48 am
Farmerman, you mean Hershey chocolate will be based on a Mexican mixture, the A Maciadoros? What's that by the way?

Hamburger Very Happy , what kind of cheese do they sell? I like the marble kind, and Philadelphia spread cheese. Yummy! And where is Prince Edward County and that black river?

Chumly, that is interesting what you said. I am not proud to be a Canadian neither. I just feel very privileged to be living in this country.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 08:00 am
ahhhhhhhh, Prince Edward County.

One of my favourite places in the world. hamburger used to take us there almost every weekend when I was a little kid - and Setanta and I went there as part of my vacation last September.

It's south of Belleville (Ontario), in the Bay of Quinte, on the Loyalist Parkway (Highway 33), which runs over to Kingston - including a gorgeous free ferry ride.

Black River makes fabulous cheddars - one of the last independent dairies left in Ontario. The curds are fantastic there (the marble's good as well, though I might like Forfar better).

The area around Picton (the biggest town in Prince Edward County) used to be called the Cape Cod of Canada. I personally think it's much nicer in the Bay of Quinte.

a view from the Glenora ferry heading toward Prince Edward County

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/81/238573398_8412baa787.jpg

a look back at the ferry from Lake on the Mountain

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/93/238588002_48cf1c2a21.jpg

looking from Little Bluffs Conservation Area toward the back side of the eastern end of Sandbanks Provincial Park (largest freshwater sand dune system in North America)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/96/238592209_d0bbbe9942.jpg

The fruit and veggies are extraordinary out there in season - it's becoming quite well known for its wineries and one place now makes really good hard cider.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 08:30 am
Oh, wonderful, Ehbeth. Thanks for posting all those gorgeous pictures! Smile

Looks such a nice place to visit. I have been to Belleville once, quite liked the place with the river and all that. Kingston is nice too, also went there once. Very Victorian like, very quaint. So everything in between is good then. And I, oh, I love Toronto. Laughing

Well, Hamburger, you are right, there are a few interesting places left in Ontario. Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 08:37 am
Hi cello - you really don't want to get me started on things to enjoy between in the triangle from Toronto to Kingston to Bon Echo. I've got ALBUMS of online photos - love it in that whole area (see Roberta's favorite places thread) - and love to take pictures.

(I think I've even got a photo of hamburger with one of my dogs - and a good block of Eastern Ontario cheddar cheese Very Happy )
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 09:31 am
first we'll send cello to >>>...PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY...

thereafter it's on to
...BLACK RIVER CHEESE...

and finally to
...SANDBANKS PROVINCIAL PARK...

with it's miles of beaches and sandbanks ... or would you rather go swimming first and and have some cheese later ? you might also want to visit one of the many local wineries there .

btw prince edward county is a true paradise for cyclists - smooth , fairly level roads , beautiful vistas - best take time to linger rather than doing a road race .
see you this summer on the beach .
hbg
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 11:40 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ah, is this heaven on Earth, or what?

Thank you for all the links, Hamburger. Smile

I've sure got to check out Roberta's thread, but where is it, Ehbeth?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 11:52 am
Favorite Places

Very Happy
0 Replies