THE CANADA THREAD

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:20 pm
Mame wrote:
Expo 67

I really enjoyed Expo 67 Very Happy

georgeob - I'm a fan of Robert Service as well. I manage to tie him into all kinds of threads .... for example ....
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:30 pm
Thanks for the reference and the photos. I like all of Service's work, including the verse he wrote in France before & during WWI.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 04:10 pm
Mame wrote:
Did you hear 3000 trees were blown over in Stanley Park?

Yes, I agree the amounts of trees seem to vary, depending who you listen to.

We saw an aerial shot of Stanley Park on CTV last night. It is indeed a mess.

Were there many other trees down in other parts of Van?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 07:38 pm
Gee ehBeth, you were a little cutie...I haven't been to Kingston in years.

There were trees down all over, Reyn... I live on the North Shore and sov many people had no power... Squamish had fallen trees, as did North Vancouver. The Lions Gate Bridge and the causeway were closed until after 2:00 p.m - traffic was backed up on the Upper Levels to Capilano exit (way too far back to entice me to get in the queue)...kerazy.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 07:53 pm
A canadian thread! How delightfull. I like canadians, theyre just like Australians.....except kept in the fridge for later.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 07:54 pm
We are just like Australians only we don't have an accent ...

Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 08:57 pm
what's a "fridge" ?
in canada we have (natural) iceboxes .
hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:43 pm
Mame wrote:
....only we don't have an accent ...

I dunno. Those Newfoundlanders sound pretty strange, eh? Laughing
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:15 pm
You got that right, by!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:35 am
Are newfies the New zealander of the northern hemisphere?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:35 pm
here are a few newfie sayings from "off da rock" (see below) :

Newfoundland Sayings

Eyes like a caplin goin' offshore - (His eyes were bloodshot!)

I'll be dere da rackley - (I'll be there in a few minutes.)

'ere - (Here...note that some Newfies drop their h's and pick them up in front of vowels!)

Owshegettinonb'ys - (How is she getting on...or how is she doing?)

Turn round, she's bind ya - (Turn around, she's behind you.)

Idn't dat fulish bye - (Isn't that foolish...and of course we Newfies say bye at the end of many phrases, instead of the eh associated with Canadians!)

Shockin' that is, shockin - (This should not need too much explaining...it's shocking!)

Ya gat da face only a mutter could luv - (You got the face only a mother could love, in other words, ugly!)

Mind your mouth now - (Be careful what you are saying, usually used to tell someone their language is a little off colour.)

Any mummers loud in? - (Mummers are people dressed up who visit around Christmas...this is the question they usually ask after someone answers the door.)

source :
...OFF DA ROCK...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 06:22 pm
got an email today ... should make some music freaks in Canada look forward to early early New Year's Day (I'm thrilled thrilled thrilled)

Quote:
Snap Crackle Pop returns to CBC Radio One - New Years Morning-Jan 1/07 - 6:00 to 8:30 AM.

Quote:
Greetings folks,

Yes, it's true. Snap Crackle Pop returns - this time, on New Year's Morning, Jan 1/2007 from six to eight thirty AM.

Paul Grant and I will be spinning the usual great tunes from 33, 45 and 78 rpm records. And, from seven to eight AM, you'll hear nothing but 78s.

As Paul wrote for the Snap page of the CBC website:

Join Roy Forbes and Paul Grant New Year's morning for Snap, Crackle, Pop -- the show that runs at all three speeds -- 33, 45 and 78 rpm. Roy Forbes is a singer, songwriter and producer. He's also an inveterate collector of vintage records. It's become a New Year's morning tradition for Roy and CBC Radio's Paul Grant to share some of the best of the collection with listeners. You'll hear everything from Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Oscar Peterson to Wilf Carter and Anita O'Day. Snap, Crackle, Pop -- music with a history -- New Year's morning from 6 - 8:30, 6:30 - 9 in Newfoundland.

And, again, I want to say thank you for your e-mail in support of Snap Crackle Pop over the past few months. When the people speak, the people are often heard. Please feel free to keep the good words coming, both to me and to the CBC. I invite you to forward this note to as many friends as you can, to any e-mailing lists you may have, to spread the good word about Snap Crackle Pop. Because, heck- after ten years of occasional shows, Paul and I just getting started!

Before I go, if you're up late this coming Saturday evening, December 23, tune in to Saturday Night Blues on CBC Radio One around 11:30 PM. I'll be on with my old pal Holger Petersen, playing him some of my rare old bluesy Christmas 78s. It'll be a hoot.

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and all that stuff. See you on the first.

Roy

PS. My weekly CKUA radio show Roy's Record Room has been running full steam ahead since April. Tune in every Monday evening from 8:00 to 9:00 pm Mountain Time. Note: as of January 15/07, RRR moves to a new time slot - 6:00 Mountain Time. You can listen online at www.ckua.com, through the StarChoice satellite system on Channel 828 or on your AM or FM dial if you're in Alberta. Please let me know if you'd like to be included in the RRR e-mail list. Here is a link to the RRR section of the CKUA site which features label scans and playlists of past shows.

http://www.ckua.com/programs/roysrecordroom/index.html

PPS. If you like Mince Meat Tarts, click here for some seasonal fun plus a great recipe for mince meat.

http://www.royforbes.ca/tart.html

Merry Christmas from Santa Roy.

PPPS. If you don't already know, I've recently released a new CD - Some Tunes For That Mother Of Mine. If you want to know more about the new album, visit my web site for more info, including how to order the disc online.

www.royforbes.ca

Roy Forbes,
Box 38724, Metro RPO,
North Vancouver, B.C.
V7M 3N1
CANADA

www.royforbes.ca

"Never play anything that ain't right. You may not make any money, but you'll never get hostile with yourself."
Advice from black pianist Reginald DuValle in 1916 to a young Hoosier with a passion for music - Hoagy Carmichael.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 08:04 pm
Hey, good news, ehBeth... I love CBC - I wake up to it every morning, in fact... and love their music - I first heard the Rankin Family on there back in '89 - when I called to find out where to buy their tape I had to call them at home Smile

They also highlighted Kia Kidiri - are you familiar with her? She's a hiphop artist from the Island.

Love Paul Grant.

Again, good news!

And here are some other Newfie sayings:

Scoff and a scuff - dine and dance

Wonderful Grand

Don't be tormentin' me, by
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:04 am
Here's a question for all the Canadian folks. I wanted to know if mosquitoes are a problem in Canada. If yes, what repelling methods are used?

Thank you,
SpiderGal
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:27 am
in canada we sent mosquitoes to
...MOSQUITO SCHOOL... once they are old enough to 'fly to school' .

hbg :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:38 am
hi , spidergal :
i've now stopped laughing and am taking your question seriously .
those pesky moskitters seem to have found a good home right across canada - and they seem to vary in size and ferocity - certainly pretty bad in northern ontario .
of course we squash and spray them , use citronella candlea when sitting in the garden , screened windows ...
here is a good website to find about the canadian moskitters and what to do to control them :
...CANADIAN MOSKITTERS...

hbg (ouch !)
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 12:27 pm
Thanks Hamburger!

Mosquitoes are a big problem here, too. But, I was certainly shocked to know that Canada is one of our league too!

And I'm kinda glad that my question, funny as it was to you, made you laugh for a whole eleven minutes...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 05:43 pm
RUSSIA READY TO OPEN POLAR SHIPPING ROUTE
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 04:24 pm
Hamburger, I don't know what was your previous post, but seems to me everyone wants to grab a share of that ice.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/1010-07.htm

I haven't seen shorter-term vision than this.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 08:17 pm
http://www.canadamaps.info/images/mapmanitoba.gif

cello : welcome to a2k ! hope you'll hang around for a while .

it's interesting that the port of churchill was considered pretty well useless , so the canadian governmant sold it !
of course , it's a pretty small place , only about 1,000 inhabitants .
since it's about 800 miles to the major east-west rail-connection in winnipeg , considerably upgrading would have to be done if year-round shipping would start .
now it's better known by the name of "polar bear capital" .
hbg

link to :
VISIT THE POLAR BEARS !
0 Replies