THE CANADA THREAD

Intrepid

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 03:39 pm
Canada is the second-largest country in the world with only 10 percent of the population of the U.S. Gives us lots of elbow room. We need that to chug our beers eh.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 03:45 pm
Cold comfort! Lots of ice too.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 03:50 pm
I was in Canada last month and had a wonderful experience. I bedded down a woman in the small town of Juper's Run and afterwards, as we smoked our respective cigarettes, she said, "I have known Intrepid and he has fulfilled me as no other since Captain Kirk"

I looked at her and said "Intrepid....from A2K?"

"No", she said, "I speak of Intrepid, from the other message board. Intrepid, from A2K, has never satisfied me. He is a typical Canadian with little passion and much tendency toward discourse toward the trivial and arcane. I hate him so."

We finished our cigarettes, stubbed them out, and continued our conversation relating to the Canadians.

And.... it was not good.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 04:16 pm
i bet you told her that you were indeed the USS INTREPID .
no doubt she'll be disappointed from now on .
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 04:19 pm
"Cold comfort! Lots of ice too. "

we need the nice to cool our hot temperament !
just imagine how much hotter we''d be without the ice !
haven't you heard ? "hot" canadians melting the polar icecap !
hbg
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 04:22 pm
peameal
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 04:33 pm
What the hell has happened to this thread since my departure?

Chaos.

Let's blame George for that.

Him and his friggin soccer ball and his walking the means streets of the business parks.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 05:04 pm
..and his Puckish charm, let's not forget that.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 08:59 am
canada's economy blasting ahead !
let's blow a horn for canada : TOOT , TOOT !

http://www.holylandmarket.com/p/n/OliveWood/AngelMod1.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canada ranks No. 1 for economic strength
BMO annual index compares G7 countries
RICHARD BLACKWELL

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Canada's economy had a banner year in 2006, and outpaced the performance of all the other G7 countries, according to an annual index compiled by BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc.

Canada's Economic Performance Indicator is also at one of the highest levels since the early 1960s -- only the high-tech boom years of 1999 and 2000 were better -- said deputy chief economist Doug Porter, who crunched the numbers for the investment dealer.

The index tracks inflation, joblessness, budget and current account surpluses or deficits, and an economic growth factor.

A perfect 100 score could be achieved if a country had no unemployment, no inflation, a budget and current account surplus, and GDP growth that matched the long-term trend.

Canada's overall grade was 91.8, beating out second-place Japan at 91.6. All other countries in the G7 were in the 80s, with the United States at 83.9.

...CANADA SHOWS THE WORLD !...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:13 am
Fur traders, Frenchies, Frontenac

Hey Westerners, how'd it go for you in the Category II storm? Anybody without power? I thought our windows were going to blow in but we didn't lose our power... 250,000 households weren't so lucky though.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 10:50 am
We were okay here in the Valley.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:37 am
Did you hear 3000 trees were blown over in Stanley Park?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:38 am
No. Tell us about it.

Will you be here all of the week?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:46 am
Well, some reports say 1000, others say 3000... who knows? Even 1000 is a lot. Some were 200 years old.

Yes, I'll be here - off and on - will you?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:48 am
You can count on it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 11:50 am
Don't forget to tip the waiter.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 02:27 pm
Mame wrote:
Expo 67
Expo 86
Calgary Winter Olympics
Vancouver Winter 2010 Olympics

When Expo '67 first opened I just turned 21. I went downtown, bought a ticket to Montreal at Eastern Airlines and got the hell out of Baltimore for two weeks!!

I went to Ottawa for a few days and saw a taping of the Galloping Gourmet with Graham Kerr at CJOH TV.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 02:39 pm
I had turned 9 in 1967 and remember learning the French song about the Centennial Smile I think you had more fun than I did!
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 02:47 pm
Mame wrote:
I had turned 9 in 1967 and remember learning the French song about the Centennial Smile I think you had more fun than I did!

I went to Montreal and Ottawa 8 times between 1967 to 1976. Wish I could go again but my legs are so bad that I can't make the trip anymore!
Also mad a few day trips to Quebec City during that time. Quebec City is the first place that I ever saw a man with a wooden peg leg!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 02:55 pm
There's also one of my favorite poets, also a Canadian -- Robert W. Service, author of "Dangerous Dan McGrew", "The Cremation of Sam McGee" and other like works.
0 Replies