... So help me, Allah.

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:08 am
LSM and her church lady attitude is amusing. Here is a fabulous example of Christian behavior.

If I lived in between 2 hard core "christians", and one day christian A who I will call Tom had a flat tire and an appointment, he would first call his christian neighbor Pete for a lift for this important appointment.

Pete says "I'm sorry Tom, but I already have plans this morning to go to the gym and I'm unable to help you, but I will say a prayer to our Lord and savior that you find a way to your appointment . God bless you and good luck brother".

This appointment is so important that against Tom's best instincts he comes to my door to ask for a ride. "He says Steve I wouldn't ask but it's an important appointment and I need to get there. I reply "Goddamnit this is unbelievably f*cking inconvenient and it's going to throw my whole day off. I have a meeting with a bride and a corporate events planner and it's big money. Well ****, pull the tire off the car and I'll take you and then drop it at Firestone on my way to my first appointment. **** I hope I don't lose an account over this.'

When Tom tells the story he will remember two things. His christian brother Pete prayed for him, and that steve has a foul mouth and takes the Lord's name in vain and how he'd never ride with him except in an emergency
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:27 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Since the point of having someone take an oath on a bible is to more strongly bind them to that oath by invoking their religion, it makes sense that to bind a muslim to his oath, a koran should be used.

It's a silly argument.

Special note should be made of any instance in which Finn posts something sensible.

Duly noted.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:30 am
That's exactly how it is, BPB.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:31 am
JPB wrote:
I've asked this before, but I don't think I've seen an answer -- do witnesses still swear to tell the truth ... , "so help me God" before they take the stand in court?

The practice differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In fact, it might differ from courtroom to courtroom. A witness can always ask that the reference to god be removed, and a smart lawyer will clear that with the bailiff before the witness is called, so that there isn't a scene in front of the jury.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:04 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
LSM and her church lady attitude is amusing. Here is a fabulous example of Christian behavior.

If I lived in between 2 hard core "christians", and one day christian A who I will call Tom had a flat tire and an appointment, he would first call his christian neighbor Pete for a lift for this important appointment.

Pete says "I'm sorry Tom, but I already have plans this morning to go to the gym and I'm unable to help you, but I will say a prayer to our Lord and savior that you find a way to your appointment . God bless you and good luck brother".

This appointment is so important that against Tom's best instincts he comes to my door to ask for a ride. "He says Steve I wouldn't ask but it's an important appointment and I need to get there. I reply "Goddamnit this is unbelievably f*cking inconvenient and it's going to throw my whole day off. I have a meeting with a bride and a corporate events planner and it's big money. Well ****, pull the tire off the car and I'll take you and then drop it at Firestone on my way to my first appointment. **** I hope I don't lose an account over this.'

When Tom tells the story he will remember two things. His christian brother Pete prayed for him, and that steve has a foul mouth and takes the Lord's name in vain and how he'd never ride with him except in an emergency

You really shouldn't speak to things you know nothing of. You apparently have not been exposed to a civilized society, & for sure not to a Christian community. However, you are welcome to learn about Christianity, that's a wonderful aspect of Christianity, everyone is welcome.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:56 am
joefromchicago wrote:
JPB wrote:
I've asked this before, but I don't think I've seen an answer -- do witnesses still swear to tell the truth ... , "so help me God" before they take the stand in court?

The practice differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In fact, it might differ from courtroom to courtroom. A witness can always ask that the reference to god be removed, and a smart lawyer will clear that with the bailiff before the witness is called, so that there isn't a scene in front of the jury.

Thanks, joe. I should have asked this at the same time, but what about the use of the bible for swearing the oath? Is it still in use in the courtroom, or does that also differ depending on the jurisdiction?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:25 am
JPB wrote:
Thanks, joe. I should have asked this at the same time, but what about the use of the bible for swearing the oath? Is it still in use in the courtroom, or does that also differ depending on the jurisdiction?

In my practice, we just don't do trials very often, so I'm not sure what the courtroom practice is. As I recall from my last trial, though, the witnesses weren't sworn on a bible. In depositions, the witnesses don't swear on anything.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:34 am
JPB wrote:
what about the use of the bible for swearing the oath?

As an - perhaps - interesting aside: "to swear on something" is the Germanic background of the oath - usually it was a sword, could have been anything else, though.
The reason was that by touching this sword you got connected to the powers of oath, so the oath only became valid after doing such.
The (Irish) missionaries only changed the item ... like with various other Germanic customs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:37 am
This page, hosted at Tripod, and linked from the "Separation of Church and State" home page, gives some interesting information on this topic. Note that it makes the distinction between swearing an oath and making an affirmation.

In particular, this is significant:

The 1780 Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts wrote:
. . . when any person shall be of the denomination called Quakers, and shall decline taking said oath, he shall make his affirmation in the foregoing form, omitting the words "swear" and inserting, instead thereof, the word "affirm," and omitting the words "So help me God," and subjoining, instead thereof, the words, "This I do under the pains and penalties of perjury."

Appeals to someone's personal superstition are not going to have the immediate force of a conviction for perjury.

Here are some humorous responses at the "Stupid Questions Answered" site. I particularly liked: "When you're in court and about to testify, they'll swear you in on a Bible. If you are an atheist and protest to such a stupid little technicality, they'll give you a swift kick in the nuts for being so full of sh*t."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:42 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The reason was that by touching this sword you got connected to the powers of oath, so the oath only became valid after doing such.
The (Irish) missionaries only changed the item ... like with various other Germanic customs.

We played bloody Hell gettin' you folks to behave . . . and ultimately, we failed . . .
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:03 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

You really shouldn't speak to things you know nothing of. You apparently have not been exposed to a civilized society, & for sure not to a Christian community. However, you are welcome to learn about Christianity, that's a wonderful aspect of Christianity, everyone is welcome.

Tell me LSM of the parable of the Texan Christian attempting biting sarcasm as Jesus instructed.....I'm feeling a lot of agape love in your post Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:10 pm
Setanta wrote:

We played bloody Hell gettin' you folks to behave . . . and ultimately, we failed . . .

We have not only one but oak trees in the backyard.

In case you would ever get the idea of visi...
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:11 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Tell me LSM of the parable of the Texan Christian attempting biting sarcasm as Jesus instructed.....I'm feeling a lot of agape love in your post Laughing

I don't know that Texan, so can not speak to it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:12 pm
It was them Brit druids who went gaga over oak trees . . . personally, i prefer evergreens . . . got any pine trees, Boss?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:15 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Did I just hear the cock crow three times?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:17 pm
<looks>
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:17 pm
Nope.... all quiet here.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:23 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

You think that [/I]you are being betrayed? lmao, Believe me, you think much too highly of yourself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 02:48 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Hey...Bear said agape!

And I love the cock crowing metaphor.

Of course, Bear knows from cocks....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 03:13 pm
and you understood it.. unlike ms.mustang ranch....
0 Replies