Citizen Border Patrols and the Law

LittleBitty

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:11 pm
Years ago before I was married, I found an illegal alien hiding in my garage. I didn't know what to do; he had some of my stuff in his hands. I was in shock and couldn't move. I had a big dog at that time that by his sheer size scared this guy off, and I was out $300 worth of stuff.

What do some of you suggest be done in this sort of situation?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:14 pm
Do you people know that most Mexicans, LEGAL ONES, are as angry over the invasion as MOST WHITE AMERICANS ARE?? They are here in South central Texas for sure.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:21 pm
I'd be interested in ascription of rights to those who have title to property and to those who lease grazing rights. Is there a distinction re defense from intrusion?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:28 pm
LittleBitty wrote:
Years ago before I was married, I found an illegal alien hiding in my garage. I didn't know what to do; he had some of my stuff in his hands. I was in shock and couldn't move. I had a big dog at that time that by his sheer size scared this guy off, and I was out $300 worth of stuff.

Somebody burglarizes me, I phone the police.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:31 pm
Most Mexican illegals are peaceable people. I have worked with them and gotten to know hundreds of them. The hysteria against them is being fanned by politicians and the media, in the name of votes and money.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:41 pm
I quite agree with the Texas Madam that a person has a right to protect one's property, even with a firearm, if necessary. I fail to see, though, how a half-starved human being, looking for a better life, crossing a part of your thousand-acre property is putting you, your family or that property in any danger. Threatening a person like that with a gun is assault, plain and simple.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:51 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
& when was the last time YOUR property or you, your family were confronted by an illegal immigrant wanting to take YOUR property or do you/your family harm?
The gov't isn't stopping it, do you listen to or read the news?

Sweetheart, I am in San Diego, and we live with a huge population of
illegals. None of them ever took anything from me, never even attempted
to. All they want, is work to feed themselves and their hungry family.
They're decent people, just poor and in need of work and food.

I probably get more firsthand experience than you ever gather from
the newspapers, and judging from your writing you seem to just read the
headlines, as the fine print is not visible through your blinders.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:53 pm
LittleBitty wrote:

Call the police, what else. Or are you trying to tell us that your fellow
countryman would not be capable of stealing, only illegals do?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:55 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Do you people know that most Mexicans, LEGAL ONES, are as angry over the invasion as MOST WHITE AMERICANS ARE?? They are here in South central Texas for sure.

Why would you single out white Americans? Aren't we a bit racist, hm?
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:17 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
LittleBitty wrote:

That was done, but the person was long gone. It was the police that advised me that they were illegal. Apparently, the police were aware of a drop off point nearby.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:22 pm
LittleBitty wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
LittleBitty wrote:

That was done, but the person was long gone. It was the police that advised me that they were illegal. Apparently, the police were aware of a drop off point nearby.

I don't know how you would know if this person hiding in your garage was an American citizen, a legal immigrant or (as you call them) an illegal?

But would it make a difference. If it turned out that this person was an American citizen... would this have made a difference to your being upset that he was in your garage.
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:23 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
LittleBitty wrote:

Call the police, what else. Or are you trying to tell us that your fellow
countryman would not be capable of stealing, only illegals do?

I didn't find my "fellow countryman" in my garage so I haven't had an experience that I can share with you.

As mentioned in my previous post, the obvious was done. I was trying to ask a question in the spirit of debate. Why not give it a whirl?
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:31 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
LittleBitty wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
LittleBitty wrote:

I don't know how you would know if this person hiding in your garage was an American citizen, a legal immigrant or (as you call them) an illegal?

But would it make a difference. If it turned out that this person was an American citizen... would this have made a difference to your being upset that he was in your garage.

I don't care if it was the President was hiding there, it would have been scary and upsetting, fair enough? I lived alone, and I don't look very threatening to most people.

Read what I wrote - the police told me their status, no assumptions were made on my part.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:35 pm
I'm in agreement with CJ and Edgar and Merry Andrew.

I'm from LA. Who my best friends are vary, but my best boss was born in a camp for the japanese in WWII and got his start in life working with a bracero family who settled on the north side of LA..

Still, I can envision being pretty irritated if I happened to own acreage at the border... mixed with my understanding that ownership of these lands was long in dispute, and border is a recent phenomenon re history. Even ownership of land is something of a new concept, though well developed now.

Still, I can imagine owning land right there at the border, can imagine feeling invaded, and wonder about the legal issues re property,
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:35 pm
I have a far greater fear of Vigilantes than I do of "illegal" immigrants. I have good friends who are illegal immigrants who are quite decent people.

My fear of vigilantes is not without a foundation. I grew up in a biracial family... I am genetically caucasion, but have of my family is African-American. We grew up in the seventies and the KKK was often the subject of nervous jokes and scary stories. Once when my sisters were very young, we were travelling to visit relatives and stopped at a restaurant (I think it was in Missouri) and even then it was made clear that my baby sisters wouldn't be accepted. The choice was to face the anger of the locals or to leave. My parents left.

Now the KKK is back... and at the forefront of the anti-illegal-immigrant movement. There were fliers going around even in liberal Massachusetts recruiting for the KKK using fear that illegal immigrants were a threat to White dominance.

I have to admit that I don't personally know any vigilantes. Maybe if I did I might find out they were decent people.

But honestly I find the vigilante movement, with all of its wretched history of repression, much more dangerous and disgusting.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:58 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I see. Yes, they didn't come with Mayflower.

Ya know, I'm still waiting for you to add something to a thread, other than cheap shots. Rolling Eyes

You see, dear madam, I'm here a couple of years and some thousands of posts longer than you.

Can you please explain how YOU are waiting for that? Did you really read all my own threads (you started how many, you said?) and replies Shocked

But don't get desperate: I'll continue to try and to do my best.
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 12:03 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I have a far greater fear of Vigilantes than I do of "illegal" immigrants. I have good friends who are illegal immigrants who are quite decent people.

My fear of vigilantes is not without a foundation. I grew up in a biracial family... I am genetically caucasion, but have of my family is African-American. We grew up in the seventies and the KKK was often the subject of nervous jokes and scary stories. Once when my sisters were very young, we were travelling to visit relatives and stopped at a restaurant (I think it was in Missouri) and even then it was made clear that my baby sisters wouldn't be accepted. The choice was to face the anger of the locals or to leave. My parents left.

Now the KKK is back... and at the forefront of the anti-illegal-immigrant movement. There were fliers going around even in liberal Massachusetts recruiting for the KKK using fear that illegal immigrants were a threat to White dominance.

I have to admit that I don't personally know any vigilantes. Maybe if I did I might find out they were decent people.

But honestly I find the vigilante movement, with all of its wretched history of repression, much more dangerous and disgusting.

I don't think anyone is questioning whether or not illegal "immigrants" are decent people. For the most part (gang members, and the whole criminal element being the exception) I would imagine them to be as polite and decent as anyone else.

It's understandable that you have a fear, a very real one at that. Personally, the KKK makes me sick, and I find your story to be quite moving, but I was unaware that the KKK was at the forefront of those wishing to protect the border.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 12:18 am
KKK wrote:

There is a civil war happening in America. What do I mean by a civil war? It is not between the northern and southern states, it is a civil war of legal and illegal immigration and invasion.

Historians have told us that throughout history great nations have risen and fallen. An autopsy of history would show that all great nations commit national suicide. I believe today that America is committing Immigration suicide and we are truly in the midst of an immigration war.

Our white European Christian heritage is being invaded and replaced by a third world alien culture. The white European immigrants of years before are now at a trickle compared to the mass of Mexicans, Asians, and Africans. The Mexican illegals and other non-whites from South America pour across our border - over 2,000 a day. With all immigrants - legal and illegal totals close to 37 million annually...

Link from KKK website

Thomas Robb (the leader of the largest modern KKK group) is at the root of the rhetoric of "invasion" that has seeped into the mainstream.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 12:18 am
Yes, lunatic fringe like the KKK are front runner vigilante to secure the borders, they just hide under the minuteman ticket where they supposedly
want to help the government secure our borders.

Bullshit! You'll find them every day at the migrant housings harassing
illegal and legal Mexicans. Without police interference, things would get
much worse.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 12:30 am
Listening, CJ.

On gangs, I lived in two-gang territory for 24 years. The property has zoomed in value recently, but we had our share of gang murders.
In that time we were never robbed or burglarized, except that a picnic bench was taken from the alley once. Best neighborhood I've ever lived in, re community feeling and connection, especially in contrast to when I lived in Brentwood some years before, a more chilly place re neighbors.

I know there are some vicious thugs out there, but fright of an illegal in the garage seems very bugaboo-ish.

Reminds me a little, not, of my grandmother, who used to feed the "old soldiers", that was back in west LA in the thirties.
0 Replies