Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 02:08 am
Yes, I do.
Do you still live in Coventry?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 02:20 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Do you still live in Coventry?

You're asking me? I never lived there, have been there only for two hours, I think, about forty years ago.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 02:40 am
Oh, I thought U of Warwick was in Coventry.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 02:45 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:

No doubt.

I was just answering your question, didn't say anything about where I live

Walter Hinteler wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

What coloring book did you get that from?

University of Warwick - when you click on the pic, you can see the its source.

However, since you seem so interested in my location, here it is:

http://i12.tinypic.com/2mg5rbp.jpg

A closer view

http://i11.tinypic.com/2r6d72p.jpg

Some might get it just by looking at the longitude/latitude below my avatr, though.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 06:01 am
Little Bitty wrote
Quote:
Guilty as charged! This article was somewhat irrelevant, but I chose to interject something that would encourage debate in place of the ever so popular "I know you are, but what am I" back and forth I had read. Nevertheless, at this point I feel compelled to respond to your missive.

I have been in several hit and run accidents involving illegal immigrants, the first time ending with my chasing after the person that hit me. On the next occurrence, I had to go to the police station and attempt to identify the offending party. In the third case, I was hit by an illegal immigrant that worked in a body shop. His boss begged me to keep the matter between us and leave the authorities out of the matter.

It would be rather presumptuous of me to assume that I was the only one to have had so many accidents and with such frequency at that. Please note: the legal or illegal status of those involved in these accidents was reported to me by the police in the first two cases and by the above mentioned boss in the third accident.

That would surely be unlikely. But on the other hand, it doesn't follow that your experiences will be broadly representative in the US. We have to be careful that we don't assume local conditions or anecdotal evidence is given more warrant that deserved. Propagandists use precisely this trick to stir emotions and to introduce a false impression of how common or pervasive some unwanted behavior might be. For example, propagandists in the Muslim world will take an incident of cruelty committed by coalition forces and say "See what they are doing!". It's in Bill O'Reilly's bag of tricks, too.

I disagree with your statement concerning racism. How an individual looks acts and speaks is of no consequence to me, and that may well be true of many others. Unless and until I am told otherwise, I will give these protestors the benefit of the doubt. I see this as more a matter of legal versus illegal.

I didn't mean to suggest you were being racist. My point was simply that racism (broadly defined as resentment towards newcomers who are different) is a persistent reality in human affairs and that it is part of this particular debate/problem too. From my childhood through to the present, waves of immigrant groups have moved into rich farming area of my hometown (Chilliwack, BC). Each wave was met by negative reactions within the existing population. It's a very predictable thing.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 06:16 am
Little Bitty wrote
Quote:
What I mind are the illegals (yes that's their name) that assimilate into first the hispanic culture, learn Spanish, and then cross the border but they are actually terrorists. What prevention and safety can you offer to the citizens of the United States?

I think you are smuggling into this argument something which fosters fears but doesn't have an evidentiary basis. I don't know of any incident where an al quaeda linked individual has been apprehended at the Mexican border. There was one apprehended near Vancouver at the Canadian border. The bad guys involved in 9/11 flew in, a far simpler means of entering the US from other parts of the world.

There is a modern reality that the US (or Canada) are now more susceptible to terrorist attack that at any point previously, oceans and distances no longer serving to offer protection. That all by itself can increase tendencies to wall out the rest of the world, trying to make the US a fortress, but that won't work as a practical or realistic means to avoid terrorist attacks. We can make it tougher and riskier at border control points (land or sea or air) but sealing the country off is just not possible. Other policies must be adopted and one of those will inevitably have to be conforming US foreign policies to more greatly match the rest of the world.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:31 am
blatham wrote:
Little Bitty wrote
Quote:
What I mind are the illegals (yes that's their name) that assimilate into first the hispanic culture, learn Spanish, and then cross the border but they are actually terrorists. What prevention and safety can you offer to the citizens of the United States?

I think you are smuggling into this argument something which fosters fears but doesn't have an evidentiary basis. I don't know of any incident where an al quaeda linked individual has been apprehended at the Mexican border. There was one apprehended near Vancouver at the Canadian border. The bad guys involved in 9/11 flew in, a far simpler means of entering the US from other parts of the world.

There is a modern reality that the US (or Canada) are now more susceptible to terrorist attack that at any point previously, oceans and distances no longer serving to offer protection. That all by itself can increase tendencies to wall out the rest of the world, trying to make the US a fortress, but that won't work as a practical or realistic means to avoid terrorist attacks. We can make it tougher and riskier at border control points (land or sea or air) but sealing the country off is just not possible. Other policies must be adopted and one of those will inevitably have to be conforming US foreign policies to more greatly match the rest of the world.

Actually it does, Blatham.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20041013-121643-5028r.htm
Quote:
U.S. security officials are investigating a recent intelligence report that a group of 25 Chechen terrorists illegally entered the United States from Mexico in July.
The Chechen group is suspected of having links to Islamist terrorists seeking to separate the southern enclave of Chechnya from Russia, according to officials familiar with intelligence reports.

Government report revealing 165,000 non-Mexicans were apprehended at the border.
http://www.newschannel5.tv/pdf/investigations.pdf

I've been requested to send Little Bitty's condolences she didn't respond herself, she retired early.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:35 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

No doubt.

I was just answering your question, didn't say anything about where I live

Walter Hinteler wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

What coloring book did you get that from?

University of Warwick - when you click on the pic, you can see the its source.

However, since you seem so interested in my location, here it is:

http://i12.tinypic.com/2mg5rbp.jpg

A closer view

http://i11.tinypic.com/2r6d72p.jpg

Some might get it just by looking at the longitude/latitude below my avatr, though.

I suppose if I were that interested I could've done that, but I was just passing the time, it really wasn't that important, no, really, you shouldn't have bothered.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:33 am
Monte Cargo wrote:
blatham wrote:
Little Bitty wrote
Quote:

Actually it does, Blatham.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20041013-121643-5028r.htm
Quote:
U.S. security officials are investigating a recent intelligence report that a group of 25 Chechen terrorists illegally entered the United States from Mexico in July.
The Chechen group is suspected of having links to Islamist terrorists seeking to separate the southern enclave of Chechnya from Russia, according to officials familiar with intelligence reports.

Government report revealing 165,000 non-Mexicans were apprehended at the border.
http://www.newschannel5.tv/pdf/investigations.pdf

I've been requested to send Little Bitty's condolences she didn't respond herself, she retired early.

No problem. Retiring early is, along with an afternoon nap, my idea of the good life.

The report is unverified at this point (I did say "apprehended" above). Clearly the potential is there, as it is via the Canadian border, but I resist the implication/suggestion that we have cause to consider the mexican border problem one of significant terrorist threat. I do think it fear-mongering in aid of a Tancredo-stance on the issues.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:36 am
blatham wrote
Quote:
The report is unverified at this point (I did say "apprehended" above). Clearly the potential is there, as it is via the Canadian border, but I resist the implication/suggestion that we have cause to consider the Mexican border problem one of significant terrorist threat. I do think it fear-mongering in aid of a Tancredo-stance on the issues.

Why not. The US is spending millions to control and police our points of entry because of the possibility of terrorist coming through them. What I may ask makes the porous southern border any less dangerous. In reality they are, as we tighten security at the normal points of entry a more likely route for terrorists.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:46 am
You can't make any border so secure that no-one can entry uncontrolled.

Especially not with such long borders as the USA have ... not to speak about their coastline.

(I know quite a few, who entered the GDR during the Cold War illegally. And left. - I know them personally, that is. Very personally. And that border was secure.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:48 am
It is worth noting, as well, that the Chechens seek independence from Russian control, as they have for more than 150 years. It is convenient to the peddlers of propaganda who rely on fuzzy-thinking and ignorance on the part of U.S. citizens to describe the Chechens as "islamic terrorists." Free of the Russians, the Chechens and Ingush have absolutely no reason to participate in terrorism.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:49 am
Well, there have been times when the West supported them as freedom fighters ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:59 am
The Chechens allied themselves with the Germans in "the Great Patriotic War," because they'd make a bargain with Satan himself to rid themselves of the Russians. I suppose we should also consider them Nazis.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 10:01 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Especially not with such long borders as the USA have ... not to speak about their coastline.

(I know quite a few, who entered the GDR during the Cold War illegally. And left. - I know them personally, that is. Very personally. And that border was secure.)

Neither should we give up and hang a sign that say's come one come all. Nobody is watching.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:58 am
au1929 wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Neither should we give up and hang a sign that say's come one come all. Nobody is watching.

People are watching.

Maintaining absolute security or anything approaching that is, as Walter suggests, a complete impossibility. You could build a mile high wall the full length of the Mexican border and the terrorist threat, whatever it really is presently, would be unaffected. Terrorism via that border is not the problem with that border and we ought to be honest about the use of that fear to mis-color what the actual concerns are.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:23 pm
So I guess what I am reading here, is that Citizens are not allowed to protect their land from trespassers?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:26 pm
Guess is the appropriate verb, since there is absolutely no good reason to make that assumption.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
Guess is the appropriate verb, since there is absolutely no good reason to make that assumption.

People protecting their land are getting sued and losing their land. Doesn't that tell you that protecting your land will cost you? It would seem that it is cheaper to just let illegals do what they want instead of stoping them. It seems they are more interesting in protecting the "rights" of illegals then the rights of citizens.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:32 pm
No kidding - of course citizens should defend their borders, but not to the exclusion of anything else and not beyond the bounds of reasonableness...
0 Replies