Citizen Border Patrols and the Law

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:00 am
By RANDAL C. ARCHIBOLD
New York Times

For years, Roger Barnett has holstered a pistol to his hip, tucked an assault rifle in his truck and set out over the scrub brush on his thousands of acres of ranchland near the border in southeastern Arizona to hunt.

Hunt illegal immigrants, that is, often chronicled by the news media.

"They're flooding across, invading the place," he told the ABC program Nightline this spring. "They're going to bring their families, their wives, and they're going to bring their kids. We don't need them."

But now, after boasting of having captured 12,000 illegal crossers on land he owns or leases from the state and emerging as one of the earliest and most prominent of the self-appointed border watchers, Barnett finds himself the prey.

Immigrant rights groups have filed lawsuits, accusing him of harassing and unlawfully imprisoning people he has confronted on his ranch.

•One suit pending in federal court accuses him, his wife and brother of pointing guns at 16 illegal immigrants they intercepted, threatening them with dogs and kicking one woman in the group.
•Another suit, accusing Barnett of threatening two Mexican-American hunters and three young children with an assault rifle and insulting them with racial epithets, ended Wednesday with a jury awarding the hunters $98,750 in damages.
The court actions are the latest example of immigrant rights groups trying to curb armed border monitoring groups by going after their money, if not their guns. They have won civil judgments in Texas, and this year two illegal Salvadoran immigrants who had been held against their will took possession of a 70-acre southern Arizona ranch after winning a case last year.

The immigrants had accused the property owner, Casey Nethercott, a former leader of the Ranch Rescue group, of menacing them with a gun in 2003. Nethercott was convicted of illegal gun possession; the Salvadorans plan to sell the property, their lawyer has said.

Ubiquitous on Web sites
But Barnett, known for dressing in military garb and caps with insignia resembling the U.S. Border Patrol's, represents a special prize to the immigrant rights groups. He is ubiquitous on Web sites, mailings and brochures put out by border monitoring groups and, with family members, was an inspiration for efforts like the Minutemen civilian border patrols.

"The Barnetts, probably more than any people in this country, are responsible for the vigilante movement as it now exists," said Mark Potok, legal director of the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks the groups. "They were the recipients of so much press coverage and they kept boasting, and it was out of those boasts that the modern vigilante movement sprang up."

'Breached their defense'
Jesus Romo Vejar, the lawyer for the hunting party, said their court victory Wednesday would serve notice that mistreating migrants would not pass unpunished. Although the hunters were not illegal immigrants, they contended that Barnett's treatment of them reflected his attitude and practices toward Latinos crossing his land, no matter what their legal status.

"We have really, truly breached their defense and this opens up the Barnetts to other attorneys to come in and sue him whenever he does some wrong with people," Vejar said.

Barnett had denied threatening anyone; he left the courtroom after the verdict without commenting and his lawyer, John Kelliher, also would not comment.

People who tend ranches on the border said even if they did not agree with Barnett's tactics they sympathized with his rationale.

"The illegals think they have carte blanche on his ranch," said Al Garza, the executive director of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps in Arizona, a civilian patrol group that, Garza says, does not detain illegal immigrants but calls in their movements to the Border Patrol. "The man has had it."

Barnett's lawyers have suggested he has acted out of a right to protect his property.

"A lease holder doesn't have the right to protect his cattle?" Kelliher asked one of the men in the hunting party, Arturo Morales, during the trial.

"I guess so, maybe," Morales replied.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,512 • Replies: 255
No top replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:21 am
Amendment IV, Bill of Rights, to the US Constitution.
People have the right to protect their property & their lives.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:42 am
So obviously, the Latino hunters should have just shot the self-appointed Border patrolman when he threatened them and the three kids with his assault rifle...
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:15 am
blacksmithn wrote:
So obviously, the Latino hunters should have just shot the self-appointed Border patrolman when he threatened them and the three kids with his assault rifle...

Are you implying that we didn't cross the border, the border crossed us is correct? Are you saying that the mexicans should have just shot the rancher that was protecting his property?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:29 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Are you saying that the mexicans should have just shot the rancher that was protecting his property?

Those were Americans, btw, no Mexicans.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:42 pm
Maybe what this "madam" means is that they were Mexican at some point in time, so that would apparently make them fair game....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:44 pm
I see. Yes, they didn't come with Mayflower.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:47 pm
EXactly. They're not American ENOUGH!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:53 pm
I'm in and out, decorating for Christmas. I see you guys are carrying on very well without me, Walter and blacksmithin.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:57 pm
edgar, it's November 24 today, not Christmas Eve :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:59 pm
It's our tradition to turn on the lights the day after Thanksgiving, Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 01:04 pm
I know - just joking Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 01:04 pm
here too !
christmas parade last weekend ... lights up in the business district ... lots of "jingle bells" - i think i'll wear my ear-protectors before going to the shopping centre !
hohoho - bah - humbug !
hbg
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 03:15 pm
My wife was up and out at 4 in the morning(!) shopping. It's not called Black Friday for nothing!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 03:23 pm
The Hole in the Wallet Gang strikes again.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 03:27 pm
Has she come back yet, blacksmith, or is she a die-hard until closing time?
----

On topic, I just have about enough of these self imposed pilars of society,
who take the law in their own hands and go after everything that looks
remotely like a Mexican, hunt them down like animals and disregard
any human right there is.

It is the government that needs to stop illegal immigration in this country, not the average Joe Blow-away or every gun-trigger-happy idiot who calls himself Minuteman Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 03:31 pm
She got back around 8 am, cj, with about half of what she went out to get.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:08 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I see. Yes, they didn't come with Mayflower.

Ya know, I'm still waiting for you to add something to a thread, other than cheap shots. Rolling Eyes
FYI-We have a Hispanic daughter-in-law,her dad stood in line & came into this country LEGALLY, her mother immigrated here LEGALLY from Uraguay. We have a Japanese daughter-in-law that is also here legally, we have grandchildren from both our sons with their "no crossing the Mayflower ancestors" So you can take your smarmy crap & pound sand!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:17 pm
Native americans also came here legally, they got citizenship and the right to vote in 1927, go figure.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:02 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Has she come back yet, blacksmith, or is she a die-hard until closing time?
----

On topic, I just have about enough of these self imposed pilars of society,
who take the law in their own hands and go after everything that looks
remotely like a Mexican, hunt them down like animals and disregard
any human right there is.

It is the government that needs to stop illegal immigration in this country, not the average Joe Blow-away or every gun-trigger-happy idiot who calls himself Minuteman Evil or Very Mad

& when was the last time YOUR property or you, your family were confronted by an illegal immigrant wanting to take YOUR property or do you/your family harm?
The gov't isn't stopping it, do you listen to or read the news?
0 Replies