O.J. tells how he did it.

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 01:59 pm
The black people I've talked to don't think he's innocent.

A few talked as if he was innocent during the trial--but afterwards, every one of the ten or so people I regularly discussed the trial with were gleeful about the fact that he was guilty and that he got off.

They thought it was about time a guilty black guy got off like all the guilty white people do. My opinion of the US judicial system changed significantly in the aftermath of the OJ trial. I learned a lot about black culture (or an aspect of it) in the US during that time.

I was furious for a while, but I understand now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:30 pm
Interesting somewhat related article in LA Times back in September by Patt Morrison -

Owning OJ
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:05 pm
Miller wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Everyone already knows he's guilty...

What you really mean is that 99.9% of white people think he is guilty, while 99.9% of black people think he is innocent.

Now, is that "everyone"? Sad

I don't know anyone white or black who thinks he's really innocent.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:11 pm
There are many people who believe that he's innocent.
Many.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:23 pm
eoe wrote:
There are many people who believe that he's innocent.
Many.

I'm listening....go on.....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:41 pm
Me too. I'd like to know who thinks this guy didn't do it.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:45 pm
Miller wrote:
Tai Chi wrote:

O.J. has no moral compass, obviously.

OJ was found innocent by a jury of his peers.

End of story! Confused

Oh please, I don't see anybody suggesting this is a piece of fiction. What kind of person wants to profit from a crime after the fact (and after getting away with it)? A person with no moral compass. End of story? I wish.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:51 pm
Yeah, I have to agree with that. If he did it, obviously horrible. But even if he didn't do it, this is still a pretty despicable thing to participate in. As in, something that someone with a strong moral compass would stay well away from.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:54 pm
I'm going to listen to what eoe says with an open mind.

I was watching a documentary about the case, sorry if the who said what is a little sketchy....but one of the things I got out of it was the feeling of "now you know" (my words). As in, my loved ones and family have been getting lynched and unfairly tried for generations, as finally one of ours did it completely within the white mans system, and was declared innocent.

Honestly, if I was black, I would feel the same way. I would feel like we finally had a small victory after and during everything else goes on. In my heart, would be saying....good....

However, and I'll be the first to admit I was not glued to the TV for every nuance of the case....but from the large amount I saw, the evidence convinced me he was guilty.

I'm not saying that as a white, black or brown person, that's just what the evidence showed to me personally.

I can understand why this became a race case, but in my heart of hearts to me it was purely a murder trial.

That's why I'd be interested in hearing more from eoe, as far as what happened during the trial that convinced many that he was innocent. Meaning, taking his color out of the equation, that is, and looking at the evidence. Good opportunity.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:55 pm
Wait a minute...what if OJ IS innocent! What if some evil drug lord DID commit those crimes !!! What if...NAH!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:02 pm
NickFun wrote:
Wait a minute...what if OJ IS innocent! What if some evil drug lord DID commit those crimes !!! What if...NAH!!!

Then all is well with the world. The drug lord AND OJ both got off.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:07 pm
Course, if you frame it as a class thing instead of a race thing -- another rich celebrity lives above the law while poor kids do time for petty crimes and crimes they didn't do -- it should be hard for anyone to feel vindicated.

Whatever.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:38 pm
patiodog wrote:
The National Enquirer appears to be the source of the story. I'd venture that the New York Post is only slightly more reputable...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15066202/
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2415493,00.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/76556/did_oj_simpson_get_35_million_for_book.html

And here's where the story apparently broke...
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/63698

http://www.fox.com/OJ
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:51 pm
Yeah, I just saw something about this on the tube.

I'm shocked. Doesn't happen very often, but I am actually shocked.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:11 pm
What OJ is doing amounts to bragging. He is a reprehensible human being.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:15 pm
Don't wait for me to say anything more about it. It's all been said and nothing has changed since the trial. Just like there were people who believed he did it and people who believed he was innocent five, seven, ten years ago, the same hold true today.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:32 pm
I don't think I've ever met anyone who thought he was innocent, I guess they exist somewhere. At the time of the trial I worked with a large, diverse group of people and we discussed the trial at great length around the water cooler. Everyone thought he was guilty, but he got off because he was a celebrity, he had good lawyers and the prosecution did a terrible job.

Does anyone know if the money from the book and interview will go to paying the civil case conviction? I know the families of the victims were awarded millions, but never saw any of it.

Has anyone seen what OJ's daughter looks like today? It's really sad, she went from a pretty little girl to an obese giant.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:44 pm
See my link earlier about the LA Times article..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:56 pm
eoe wrote:
Don't wait for me to say anything more about it. It's all been said and nothing has changed since the trial. Just like there were people who believed he did it and people who believed he was innocent five, seven, ten years ago, the same hold true today.

Nonetheless, profiting from the death of someone he either loved and didn't kill, or brutally murdered, is utterly gross whichever way you choose to look at it.

As are the companies allowing him to do so.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:00 pm
I agree with you completely.
My heart breaks for those kids.
0 Replies