What happens to all those swiss army knives?

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:02 pm
Remember "The Saint"? He had a real doozie with a blow-torch built in (and a laser?). Fine except he was also lugging an acetylene cylinder and a generator behind him - dead giveaway I thought.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:12 pm
BOB-YOU BAND RAPTORS? NEAT! I HAVE A LITTLE HAWK STORY ABOUT A LITTLE HAWK
I HIT A KESTREL ON THE NE EXTENSION OF THE PA TURNPIKE ABOUT2 YEARS AGO. THE GUY WAS PROBABLY CHASING A MOUSE AND GOT ALL WRAPPED UP IN WHAT HE WAS DOING AND SLAMMED INTO MY TRUCK. I PULLED OVER AND GOT HIM OFF THE ROAD BEFORE HE WAS SMOOSHED BY SOME DEMONIC BEAMER PILOT. IT WAS ALIVE BUT ALL BUSTED UP AND KNOCKED COLD. I WRAPPED HIM IN A TOWEL REAL TIGHT AND DUCT TAPED HIM IN SO HE WOULDNT COME ALIVE AND TURN MY FACE INTO A PIZZA WITH HIS DEAR LITTLE TALONS WHILE IM DOING 80.
WE HAVE A WILDLIFE REHABBER NEAR ELKTON MD SO I TOOK MY LITTLE PACKAGE AND DELIVERED IT TO THE REHAB LADY. SHE KEPT IT AND THE FELLA ACTUALLY MADE A COMPLETE RECOVERY.WE TOOK HIM OUT NEAR THE BAY AND RELEASED HIM IN THE EDGE OF A SMALL WOODLOT SO HE COULD GET NEW BEARINGS

NOW I WISH THERE WAS SOME WAY TO KEEP SAW WHET OWLS FROM HOPPING AROUND THE EDGES OF ROADS AT NIGHT. MANY OF THOSE LITTLE BOOGERS ARE GETTING WHACKED BY THESE "POCKET ROCKETS" DRIVING FAST AT NIGHT ON COUNTRY ROADS.

IVE GOT A LOT OF ADMIRATION FOR FIELD VOLUNTEER BIRDERS WHO DO THE SPECIES WORK AND REHABBING.HAWKS CAN BE A HANDFUL I IMAGINE.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:13 pm
I have been banding with a friend hawks during migration for over 33 years. We do this at the former Fort Devens on the Ayer /Shirley border. This is a volunteer service. We receive no pay. We do it because we love it and feel we're providing important information to ensure their survival. I'll bring some photos to the meeting Friday.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:20 pm
Um, I use real tools for real jobs all the time, and have had various items in my so-called purse - though not at an airport, or prison - that would vie with the spanner. But I have saved the odd Swiss Army Knife christmas present for sentimental reasons, and the occasional need for a very wee Phillip's screwdriver.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 06:59 am
Banding birds is amazing - those tiny bones and beating hearts.

I have also - wait for it - banded butterflies!

(not with a swiss army knife!)
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:47 am
Butterflies are banded over here too although I don't do it. A small plastic band is placed around the thorax as opposed to the metal band we use placed on the hawk's leg. The Monarch butterfly especially is targeted. As regards their little beating hearts. Mike and I have noticed that the hawks don't associate us with the net that caused their panic. They do however seem to realize we get them out of the nets. We compare notes and agree during the banding they calm down and watch carefully as the band is placed. Then they are released and will usually go to a nearby tree to examine their new jewelry. We test the band before releasing to be sure it doesn't constrict the leg. Most of the hawks are immature so are noted as hatch year or after hatch year birds as opposed to adults.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 09:05 am
I love Monarchs....grew up with them here, and also their tastier imitative friends, the Viceroys.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 10:49 am
I like going to the butterfly migration weekends at Presquile, just east of Tranna. Watching the banders is interesting, but intimidating. They (the monarchs) are so, well, see-through.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 01:27 pm
Had I not read this thread, I would have died a very ignorant person. I hereby confess that I had never heard of the practice of actually banding butterflies.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 02:05 pm
as best as i can figure, with all the band talk and all, that this has something to do with iron butterfly.

saw the monarchs a few times at natural bridges state park in CA. didn't look for band...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 02:12 pm
"In the Garden of Eden, by I. Ron Butterfly" -Reverend Lovejoy
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:36 pm
I don't know how all this banding information took over a thread on impounding swiss army knived et al. Oh! I did it. Anyway when butterflies migrate they are one of the few entities that elects to cross the Gulf of Mexico. Now this is no mean feat. If you start out and suddenlt encounter a headwind you die. And they do by the thousands. Most birds including my beloved birds of prey will not do it but instead funnel down through Mexico and Panama. Interesting is the fact that a tiny little bird with a very rapid heartbeat will load up on nectar on the shore wait for a favorable wind and take off. Do or die. 500 miles non stop. I am impressed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:47 pm
Oh - we banded them (the butterflies) by rubbing a tiny area of scales from thier wing, and placing a tiny sticky label there.

they would fly a little drunkenly for a moment, then straighten up and fly right!

That was years ago, though.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 04:11 pm
For those of you who guessed a hummingbird you are correct. These tiny little critters fly non stop 500 miles. They must really be panting at the end.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 05:18 pm
We melt them down and make 'smart' bombs from them.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:20 pm
Bobsmyth -- didn't recknize ya in that new outfit with all them feathers and whatnot.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:34 pm
http://www.citadelraven.com/mul/graphix/batleth.gif
The weapon of a warrior! Similiar to this Sw'issarmie K'niife, if you overlook the fact its 4 feet long with no bits that fold down.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:47 pm
Merry Andrew my pal. Yes this is a goshawk largest of the accipiter family (woods hawk). This is a full adult. In the immature phase the feathers are brown. Adult phase they turn silver. Caught him last November.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 09:04 pm
Mr Stillwater, may I entreat you with a question?

On an average day, how many cans can you open in 4 seconds with that thing? Good god man, in boy scouts they must have run away screaming!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 09:15 pm
Even better than that! Saves time by letting you open a can, cut wood, slice and dice fruit and remove an inflamed appendix all in ONE motion! I'm suprise K'Tel aren't selling them on the Shopping Channel.
0 Replies