What happens to all those swiss army knives?

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:46 pm
Hell yes. How else are you supposed to open a can of beans and a bottle of wine? With the high hopes you had been saving for the starlit hours after the black-bean soup and red wine dinner?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:46 pm
That can't be good....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:47 pm
dlowan wrote:
I believe it more honoured in the breeches than in the observance...

Ah, you sly wit you . . . i use mine all the time . . .

eBeth, Mohammed Atta wasn't terribly impressed with Logan security either . . . seems that September 11 has cramped their style . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:47 pm
I use my swiss army knife all the time - i've repaired chairs at work, tightened things, cut things, whacked nails into walls. The thing works for a living.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:49 pm
Um let me see, you know those little plastic tubs that they allow you to put things in while you walk through the machine that beeps anyway? well i put in my watch and stray coins and car/house keys, and since the machine beeped at me anyway i was pulled aside for a more intensive investigation from which i returned to find that the little plastic tub with said items no longer existed. Being the terrorist that i am, i demanded that my items be returned to me. "Oops" they said, "you must be mistaken we dont have anything that matches your description" "Um," I said "I bet you can find my keys because my dog tags happened to be attached on the key ring" After about 20 minutes someone managed to find my keys (dog tags still attached) but, lo and behold, my watch and coins just plumb disappeared in the black hole of "security." So is it the "terrorists" or the "security" that i need to be wary of?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:51 pm
Ah, you're better off without a watch anyway. They're just looking after your serenity. Ayup, few are better than airport security at pointing out the artificial value we place on time, and the deletorious psychic and physiological effects that haste can have on us.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:52 pm
Flying to Boston on that same trip, security in Toronto just about went frantic about the hairclips I was taking for littlek. The shape! the shape! I had to open my purse after it had run through the scanner and show them the clips. They also had me turn my cell phone on and off.

(the knife was packed away in checked luggage on that leg of the trip)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:55 pm
I am constantly relieved that they go to such great lengths to ensure that senior citizens and attractive young women are not conspiring to take down airliners.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:59 pm
Logan has gotten marginally better since the Feds took over the security duties. But only marginally.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:08 pm
Attractive young women conspiring?? What flight do I have to get on? :-D

With all those knives piling up behind the counter, shouldn't they have a Swiss Army Airplane, to at least take them all back home? It's such a nuetral knife!

I too am completely underwhelmed at the utter pretense of security at the airports. It actually bothers me quite a bit that some people believe in it... Can people really take such flimsy play-acting seriously?? Is the public that gullible?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:10 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:12 pm
No. I refuse to live in a world like that. It's not possible. No.

If my mind gets any more boggled, I'm gonna have to unplug it and go home.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:14 pm
I've got battery back-up, but it gets so dim I've got to cup my hands around the edges to read anything. Damn 1970s vintage analog brain.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:19 pm
Swiss Army airplane eh...that would definitely have to be a Bond-like transforming sorta machine....air, sea and land...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:22 pm
plus a fish scaler and a corkscrew . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:24 pm
Ironically enough, it would cost extra to get the model with a compass.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:48 pm
I use my tool all the time. Especially at the hawk banding site. When a hawk hits our nets they thrash about and get thoroughly entagled in it. To the queries as to whether we wear gloves for protection I truthfully answer no. The nets are called mist net because they are very fine. In the thrashing the entanglement necessitates first grasping the hawk by the legs to neutralize the talons and then very carefully removing strands from around the talons, wings, over the head and in some cases arouns the tongue. Tongue have a spade shape so the twine can get wrapped around and cut the tongue. If it's so bad you fear the net would cut the tongue I'll cut the net rather than endanger the bird. We can't do this with gloved hands. My tool has the additional advantage of a locking blade so it can't close on your fingers or the bird.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:18 pm
bobsmyth wrote:
I use my tool all the time.

I'm gonna leave that one alone . . .

. . . but oh my, the temptation . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:30 pm
I can resist anything but temptation - what do you use your tool FOR, Bob?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:32 pm
Bob - what hawk banding thing? Around here? Need volunteers?
0 Replies