What happens to all those swiss army knives?

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 12:10 pm
Passengers' abandoned booty: How it shakes out Some items are trashed, others are treasured
By Janet Kornblum
USA TODAY

Shredded, recycled, donated, mailed or auctioned on eBay.

That's what happens to all those Swiss Army knives and pointed-tip scissors that travelers ''surrender'' at airport security checkpoints. They can end up anywhere from the belly of a car shredder to a village in Ghana, West Africa.

Ever since stepped-up security measures went into effect after Sept. 11, airports have been confiscating items deemed dangerous, items that travelers once could carry onto planes, such as pocketknives, box cutters and scissors.

When the Transportation Security Administration put its own federal screeners in place by Nov. 19, it suddenly had to start dealing with the tons of stuff that errant fliers leave at checkpoints every day. The agency would rather people simply leave those goods home, says TSA's Robert Johnson.

But not all passengers do. And once caught with banned booty, they have few choices. They can return to the check-in counter and place their items in their checked luggage. They can store them in their cars, time allowing. They can mail them, if there's an airport postal facility. Or, at a handful of airports, they can check goods with Travelex, a company that specializes in foreign currency exchange. Travelex offers check-in services at a few branches, where people can store items for a charge and pick them up on their return. Those branches and other companies also will mail items for passengers for a fee.

But most people end up abandoning their possessions, as did Ken Rona, a management consultant from Washington, D.C. He simply forgot about the little Swiss Army knife on his key chain until security officials found it.

''They told me I could throw it away or leave it there,'' he says. ''I was actually very bitter about that. The blade was half the size of my pinky.''

What happened to that knife -- and tons of other seized possessions across the USA?

Regulations prevent the TSA from profiting from abandoned goods. But the way the agency disposes of them varies from airport to airport and is up to the local TSA administrator. The administrator chooses a government-approved entity -- ranging from a state surplus association to a commercial disposal company -- to handle the goods. But with policies constantly evolving, and with governmental agencies involved, abandoned items can end up almost anywhere. For example:

* Some airports send goods to disposal companies, where they're crushed or put through a car shredder, then sold as scrap metal.

* Some still haven't decided what to do with the goods. In Grand Rapids, Mich., there are ''three or four huge tubs'' that just sit in the airport's basement while the airport decides their fate, says spokesman Bruce Schedlbauer.

* Others turn the stuff into surplus property. Bill Logan, the facilities management director for Brazoria, Texas, south of Houston, recently purchased 11 pounds of scissors and other small tools from the Federal Surplus Property Program in Texas. Items came from the Houston airport. ''It's good for the taxpayers,'' he says. ''If I could buy 10 pounds of scissors for $5.50, that's better than buying them for $5 each.'' The scissors go to government employees as office supplies.

Government offices aren't the only ones benefiting from passenger mistakes.

If you've relinquished your knife at the airport in Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento, Santa Ana or Ontario (Calif.) or Portland, Ore., you might see it being sold on eBay from sellers CaliforniaGold2000 or OregonTrail2000. Those are names that the state surplus programs use to sell all sorts of surplus goods.

In both states, the money made from the auctions is funneled back into the surplus programs, say spokespeople from each state.

Some individuals are taking a more creative approach.

Michael Ravnitzky, a journalist from Silver Spring, Md., plans to donate scissors he bought on eBay to schoolchildren in the village of Gbefi in Ghana.

Jerry Jordan, who owns the outdoor-goods store Wilderness Exchange in Berkeley, Calif., buys Swiss Army knives online in bulk and resells them in his store for $3.99 and $9.99, depending on size.

When he gets a knife with an engraved name, he'll look in the phone book to see if he can find the owner. So far, he hasn't.

He's not exactly going to retire from the extra income, but he's glad that the knives at least are being put to use.

''It's sad that so many of them are being scrapped,'' he says. ''To throw away a perfectly good product is a total waste.''

Rona feels the same way. He has lost his knife, but it bothers him to think of it getting crushed and scrapped.

''I would actually feel better if somebody was carrying it,'' he says.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,637 • Replies: 69
No top replies

Equus

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 01:53 pm
If the Swiss Army ever invades, we're ready for 'em.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:07 pm
Out here at our airport they are going to be destroyed along with mine. Since 9/11 there has been 3 pick-up loads of confiscated items. I asked my buddy in charge of Security at the airport if I could get a truckload before it went to the furnace (maybe I could find mine and sell the balance on ebay), and he said nope, not this time husker! way to political!!!
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:07 pm
Hi Equus:

It's amazing that people still carry them with all the publicity that warns of their likely impoundment. I have a Gerber tool with multi functions that I'm never without. I purchased it in Fiskars Finland. I couldn't imagine subjecting it to the possibility of seizure so each trip I take the beloved tool is put away.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:59 pm
The Swiss have an army?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 03:01 pm
The Swiss only has knives and watches. They claim to have an army, but nobody's seen them. c.i.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 03:11 pm
Pssst! They're disguised as mountains.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 03:40 pm
The Swiss don't have an army. The Swiss are an army.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 03:40 pm
Clever!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 03:41 pm
'Struth. They keep machine guns in their homes. Very low crime rate from what I hear, too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 03:59 pm
LOL! It is actually easy to forget you are carrying offensive weapons!

Once, many moons ago, when I was still working in corrections, I had cause to visit someone at the major prison.

Just as I was about to duck in the little door in the big door, feet from the metal detector, I remembered that I had a very large spanner in my handbag!

We had moved house a couple of weeks before, and it was the spanner that fit the nuts on the bolts holding my bed together. Once the bed was re-assembled, I had tidily put the spanner back in my handbag, because there was nowhere else to put it at the time, and I didn't want to losing using it.

And, yes, I still have the kind of handbag where a spanner or two can go missing and not be noticed.

There would have been NO way that the truth about that spanner would have been believed, I am telling you.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:26 pm
"Spanner." Damn you people are weird.

I was flying with Johnny Cash on his way to see Delia, and they didn't confuscate nothing. Damn shame that was, too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:28 pm
Well, what the smeg do you call it?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:30 pm
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're talking about a wrench, but honestly I can't make heads or tails of it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:31 pm
A WENCH . . .

Oops, i mean a WRENCH . . .

Yeah, that's it, that's what i meant . . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:37 pm
(1) Spanner = wrench in American.

(2) Of course the Swiss have an army. It guards the Pope. You never hreard of the Swiss Guard? In fact, I understand in Switzerland every male not excused for medical reasons, has to serve a 20-year hitch in the Army Reserve, be on call at a moment's notice.

(3) I had a tiny pair of sewing scissors confiscated from out of my travel sewing kit recently because, without thinking, I had packed my sewing kit as part of carry-on baggage. Damn things were less than 2 inches long and blunt, to boot. I was told, very politely, I could re-pack them in checked luggage, no prob, but it was way too late for that. Miss that sucker. <sob>
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:39 pm
Yeah, Boss, they took my moustache scissors in similar circumstances. When once i went to the aereoport with my swiss knife in my pocket, however, i backed out of security, went to the gift shop, and, buying the necessaries, mailed the knife to myself--they weren't gettin' that one.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:42 pm
Has anyone ever actually USED a Swiss Army knife? Except when showing it off?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:43 pm
I believe it more honoured in the breeches than in the observance...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:45 pm
Flying from Logan in Boston to Pearson in Toronto on September 11 last year. Going through my purse to find my house keys, to get ready, doncha know. Digging around. Pull out my glasses, some perfume, allergy meds, my swiss army knife, my change purse, wait! my swiss army knife! My keys were under the swiss army knife.

Now this wouldn't be too bad, except I'd been pulled out of the line twice in Logan to have my carry-ons checked. Once at security, once at the gate. At the gate, the woman even took my keys out of my purse - so I know she had to go past the swiss army knife. I was not too impressed with Logan security.
0 Replies