who are the painters and photographers on A2K? tell....

Vivien

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 11:33 am
Who are the painters and photographers and what do you paint/photograph? Abstract, realist? landscape, life, portraits, still life ....?????

Very Happy I know who some are but not all.

What are your interests, influences, have you got a website so we can see your work? or put something on Ravens Realm?

I would really love to see your work.

Me? I am both a photographer and painter - mainly a painter. My particular interest in the landscape. I love the changes of mood and colour and the abstract patterns of landscape. Light and colour are my 'thing', Some work is observational with a degree of abstraction and other work slips into total abstraction - but its origin is in the observed work.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,153 • Replies: 97
No top replies

husker

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 12:16 pm
I like to take pictures.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 12:35 pm
I worked in camera stores for over 30 years. I was manager, if you know Boston area, of Ferranti-Dege Inc in Cambridge and School St Camera in Boston. Subjects have been varied but lately it has been primarily birds of prey. During the fall migration a friend and I band hawks for U. S. Fish and Wildlife.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 01:19 pm
Boomerang is a professional photographer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:03 pm
I like to take pictures too. I probably took over 10,000 photographs, and they include, Mt Everest, the pyramids of Giza, the Dead Sea, Parthenon, Ushuaia, the Galapagos flora and fauna, Machu Picchu, the Great Wall, Taj Mahal, the treasures of Topkapi Palace, Big Ben and Parliament, Westminster, St Pauls, York, Niagara Falls, Victoria Falls, the Gold Pavilion, King Tut's tomb, Karnak Temple, the Sydney Opera House, Ephesus, the Coliseum, Eiffel Tower, the Pink Fort, Knossos, Cuzco and its environs, the London Eye, Tivoli, the Rock Church, St Basils, Red Square, Cape Horn, Eva Paron's tomb, Serengeti, Petra, Kizhi Island, CNN Center, Edingburgh Castle, Avila, Granada, Toledo, Troy, Berlin Wall, Hitler's bunker, Check Point Charley, Mt McKinley, Washington DC, the mountains of Guilin, Kennedy Space Center, Johnson Space Center, New Orleans, Panama Canal, Stonehenge, the Alamo, and some more. c.i.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:15 pm
C.I.
I think you need a Canon EOS 10D Digital Camera !! Well that's about what I plan on getting next money willing!! Wink

2nd choice!!
Canon EOS 1D
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:27 pm
husker, Actually, I've been look'n at the Canon G3. c.i.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:37 pm
THE ART PROJECT
Here's a site you might be enjoy:

http://www.theartproject.net/

I have a collage (NOT photography) on "Exhibition - Image Grid 2 - 24. C. Stark"

My photographs appear on many sites, including some nice ones on various A2K Travel threads. On one of my own web sites - http://www.starkc.com - there are a few lesser efforts. Dozens put up on the family site. Actually, I'm a "traveling" sociologist, teacher, technical publisher. At one time, I took a jillion transparencies to use in the classroom. Now . . . photography is winding down - but not tripping the light fantastic!
[/color] Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:06 pm
travel
Very Happy
ci; I envy you all the traveling you have done to be able to photograph the world.

I am a painter, and a wanna be photographer. Often I paint from my photographs if I have no model. Of course, the real thing is always the best to paint from.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:16 pm
zincwhite, That's what I've been told, and I also know I'm very lucky. Let me know if you'd like to see anything special. If I have it, I'll post it on A2K. c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:45 pm
Well, hi, I'm way behind on posting anything. Am rather looking forward to what Craven does for a photo catalog.

The photos I haven't posted are many -
my own paintings, such as they are, through the years, and perhaps conversation about them.

plants, oh, a thousand slides, too bad, gave them to UCLA

some architectural type photos of urban scenes, some pretty interesting, if I do say so

three thousand photos italy from the point of view of me and my eye. Let's say there are a good hundred, which I will edit down.

various series by me, you wanna see my bananas?? My bananas are very lascivious..however you spell that.

plus, more seriously, I had worked up a study of many italian piazzas, and have a publisher, but have not turned the lecture text into book text. And I didn't then have photos of certain places.

Since then I have been to italy again, not ending up with much better photos, but with some changed ideas.

So, give me a site and I could go on and on. I do paint too, and have a gallery, and do landscape architecture. A little tired, I just got to do all this stuff as I am older, am a little picky about what I do, and I persist, unfortunately, in not having the money business be very important.
This sounds fairly IIIIIIIIIIII, but really, it all goes together.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:57 pm
So, I am thinking, none of the photo sites I see have much text. I myself could use text, however cut....to 500 words?

I bet text would be an attraction.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:21 am
I love taking photographs. Mainly of people (candid portraits), buildings and landscapes.

I don't have many photographs online, but I could make an album of a few and link to this thread, later.

P
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 04:33 am
charli and ci I am green with envy too.

I would love to see machu picchu.

Some of the photos didn't come up Charli ..???? loved what i did see.

some of my holiday photos from France this year are on ...

http://www.picturetrail.com/vivienblackburn

0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 04:34 am
PS MORE LINKS!!!!

Osso why don't you sign up for a geocities site??? I would love to see your work
- and yes text would be good.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 05:07 am
I DO WATERCOLORS, MOSTLY PHOTO REALISTIC AND ILLUSTRATION , BUT ALSO I TRY TO DO MORE IMPRESSIONIST STYLE IN MY PLEIN AIRE WORK.
I USED TO BE A PRO ILLUSTRATOR AND DID ARCHITECTURAL RENDERINGS, AND MOTORCYCLE STRIPING AND ART.
ALTHOUGH MY WORK IS REALLY A HOBBY , I HAVE A BFA AS A "FUN DEGREE' IEARNED A COMFORTABLE LIVING AS A PAINT -ON-METAL ARTIST WHILE I WAS GETTING MY GRAD DEGREES
I DO A LOT OF PHOTOGRAPHY AS DOCUMENTATION OF LOCAL GEOLOGY AND MINING TECHNOLOGY. (IM A GEOLOGIST BEY PROFESSION ) SO , LIKE CI, IVE BEEN ALL OVER THE WORLD BUT RARELY TO PLACES WE WOULD TRAVEL FOR FUN.
SOME OF MY GREATEST PHOTOS ARE FROM THE CANADIAN ARCTIC , WRANGLE LAND, THE WITTWATERSRAND, OLDUVAI, AFAR, GOLD COAST AND NIGERIAN JUNGLES, ETC. ALL OF THESE PHOTOS ARE DONE IN FILM FORMAT AND ARE IN FILE SHEETS WITH NEGATIVES IN PACKETS. (I SUPPOSE I SHOULD CONSIDER ARCHIVAL FOTOS)

I PREFER TO PHOTO AND DEVELOP INTO CDS RATHER THAN DIGITAL. I USE DIGITAL FOR PROJECT FILES BUT ONLY KEEP ONE OR TWO PER OUTING. I HAVE A 3. MEG PENTAX AND A LOT OF MINOLTA FILM CAMERAS (EVERYTHING FROM SRT 101, UP TO MAXXUUMS) AND ALL THE LENSES. STILL, MY FAVORITE CAMERA IS A PENTAX IQ ZOOM. (LIGHT, SMALL, DOESNT INTRUDE)
LATELY IVE BEEN DOING LOTS OF MOSAIC TYPE FOTOS. AFTER I TAKE EM I MAKE ENLARGEMENTS OF THE MOSAICS AND MOUNT THE PHOTOS SO THAT EACH IS SHAPED TO LOOK LIKE A LOCKING WALL.
THEONLY PIX OR PAINTINGS IVE PUT ON THE WEB ARE THOSE THAT IVE SENT TO FAMILY OR TO GALLERIES . iVE NOT GOTTEN A NEW SCANNER AND IVE NOT BEEN IMPRESSED AS TO HOW MY WORK SHOWS UP WHEN SCANNED. MY BLACK AND WHITE DRAWINGS SHOW UP GREAT BUT THE SUBLETY OF A WATERCOLOR DOESNT SHOW UNLESS I PHOTO IT A NUMBER OF TIMES UNDER CONTROLLED LIGHT.
VIVIEN I WAS IMPRESSED WITH YOU R RECENT POSTING OF THOSE WORKS BY PRENTICE. HIS WORKS WERE LARGE AND , ALTHOUGH DETAIL WAS LACKING, THEY SHOWED UP WELL. THE LIGHT APPEARED STRONG.THAT IMPRESSED ME.
I FIND THAT PEOPLES ART, WHEN SHRUNK DOWN ON THE WEB, DOES NOT SHOW WELL (COLORS GET SKEWED TO LESS CONTRAST , AND DETAIL IS SMUDGED). I AM OBSESSIVE ABOUT WHAT I LET BE SEEN, IM NEVER FULLY SATISFIED WITH ALMOST ANYTHING I PAINT. IVE BEEN KNOWN TO REDO WORKS MANY TIMES (THATS THE ILLUSTRATOR STILL HANGING ON) ILL DO WORKS AND DETAILS MANY TIMES. THEN WHEN I HAVE IT DOWN , ILL XEROX THE WORK AND TRANSFER IT TO MY BOARD.
THATS ANOTHER THING ILLUSTRATION HAS TAUGHT ME --IE NEVER WASTE A DRAWING BY COPYING DIRECTLY, ALWAYS USE A FAXIMILE (XEROX ETC0 AND KEEP THE ORIGINAL INYOUR FILES, ITS AMAZING HOW OFTEN A CLIENT SPILLS CRAP ON YOUR DESIGNS OR IT GETS BROKEN IN A TAXI
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 05:38 am
Farmerman - I'm glad you like the Prentice site. Yes i love his work.

Do you scan your images into photoshop when you put them on the net???? i find the quality is much higher then. Yes, shrinking an image does lose a lot of its freshness and 'tightens' it up but in Photoshop you can at least adjust the contrast and balance so that it is a trueish version of the original.

What about some links???? Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 09:31 am
Here's a photo of Machu Picchu taken from the Inca Trail. When we were hiking up the Inca Trail, all of Machu Picchu was covered in fog. About midway up our hike, the fog cleared up a bit, so I took this photo. c.i.http://community.webshots.com/s/cache1/couploads/77083606.jpg.tmp?2170
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 09:39 am
FYI, Machu Picchu was founded by Hiram Bingham in 1911. He returned the following year to direct the excavations and investigations of Machu Picchu, sponsored by Yale University and National Geographic. He didn't find any treasures, but found the reamins of 150 female and 23 males. Machu Picchu is located in the Andes Mountains in the middle of no-man's land. How the Inca people were able to locate this place and build their city is a mystery. It's located 8,000 feet above sea level. c.i.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:14 pm
VIVIEN . . .
Vivien - Were you viewing my site - http://www.starkc.com - with Netscape or Explorer? It's best viewed with Microsoft Explorer. Or, are you using another browser? Sorry for the problems. This posting on A2K is acting mighty strange tonight. Maybe I'll logoff, shut down, and reboot. More later. Charli [/color] Confused Smile Smile
0 Replies