Is the Bush administration "conservative"?

wolf

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 09:55 am
I eternally prefer a womanizer to a mass murderer, "perception". I hope you do too. Ask the families of 3000+ tragically killed New Yorkers how they feel about Bush taking power, or about who is more patriotic.

Please do not equalize your ideology (which has the right to exist) with your common sense. The Bush family doesn't give a damn about the United States of America.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 10:07 am
Wolf

Since you're not old enough to be a conservative (if you're not a liberal when you're 21, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative by 40 you have no brain) so you will make a wonderful rabid supporter of Howard Dean. Good luck----when you become disallusioned by the lack of morals or ethics you just might be able to join the thinking person's party.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 10:35 am
You mean ethics like in

'sacrifice our own for some greater goal'
'kill everyone who stands in the way and cover it up'
'loot god's green earth for private enrichment'
...and so on, I'm depressed enough
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 10:37 am
This regime is Fascist!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 11:08 am
Wolf wrote:

'sacrifice our own for some greater goal'
'kill everyone who stands in the way and cover it up'
'loot god's green earth for private enrichment'
...and so on, I'm depressed enough

The way you're going you'll never make 40----maybe Lola can help---she's a psychoanalyst . :wink:
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 12:48 pm
Although it represents only about 1% of the doctors in this country, about 8,000 doctors have now called for some kind of national health. It is expected that many more in the medical profession will join in, citing the failure and collapse of a health care system based on private practise. Ther's someting interesting about this. Doctors are generally perceived of as driving expensive cars, living in expensive houses, endorsing the expensive life. And they've rceived many perks from the pharma companies and from the HBOs. So why this humanitarian shift?

I asked my doctor this week. Now he's from the solid midwest, comes from a republican family, is a believing church goer - all those things that make up what the average republican likes to think of himself. Trained in two specialties - the works. (And he belongs to an opera group.) He told me that he's changed, as are more and more of his profession. They are seeing such awful results of the HMOs, and feel that nothing they say - as professionals - is listened to. That there is a frightening downtown in health care. What helped start him on this was the revolt against malpractise insurance. What started out as the republican cry against litigation has turned into something else. More and more of them are beginning to realize they came into medicine to do something, and that the cry of privatization has actually meant far stricter regulations in areas where this shouldn't be. So my doctor (and he tells me many more) are no longer conservative republicans. Many of them are turning to a democratic view. And he intends to vote that way.

We talk a lot about the Iraqi war, which I feel is a real achilles heel for this administration, but there is much more happening among many citizens. Republicans, such as max and perception, love to sit there and make shallow jokes, and refer to Clinton over and over again, but they're not looking. There is no safe middle road. There is a reason why Dean keeps gathering in people and money, and more and more so-called moderates are looking at him, and not the backward-thinking Lieberman, whom republicans seem to love, because they think he's easily beatable. Do they think we believe they're going to vote for Lieberman?

I don't know, Tart. I guess at this point I'm an aging liberal/conservative. But mostly I'm progressive, because I am looking ahead. Which might put some others into the category of repressive. Which is what we're living with now.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 12:54 pm
Rudyard Kipling ---Recessional (still true)

GOD of our fathers, known of old—
Lord of our far-flung battle-line—
Beneath whose awful Hand we hold
Dominion over palm and pine—
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget, lest we forget!

The tumult and the shouting dies—
The captains and the kings depart—
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice,
An humble and a contrite heart.

Far-call'd our navies melt away—
On dune and headland sinks the fire—
Lo, all our pomp of yesterday
Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!
Judge of the Nations, spare us yet,

If, drunk with sight of power, we loose
Wild tongues that have not Thee in awe—
Such boasting as the Gentiles use
Or lesser breeds without the Law—

For heathen heart that puts her trust
In reeking tube and iron shard—
All valiant dust that builds on dust,
And guarding calls not Thee to guard—
For frantic boast and foolish word,
Thy Mercy on Thy People, Lord!
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 12:56 pm
Yes...!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 01:27 pm
Only thing I can say mama is that anybody is better that the jerk!!!!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 01:57 pm
Mama wrote:

There is no safe middle road.

I will try not to sound so absolute----my opinion is: this is so because the Dems and mainly the hate Bush segment, have/has polarized the electorate into one camp or the other with a DMZ in between preventing crossovers.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:10 pm
The day we see national health care is the day we start heading for the Caribbean for timely health care.

I know a guy, a Canadian, wealthy as hell, who could easily have afforded to get his hip replaced in the U.S. Instead, he chose to use the "free" Canadian national health care system, and he waited three years from his diagnosis until he got the operation. There's also a fairly lengthy recovery process. He's an old man. All that time waiting and pain is not "free".

By the way, I'm very happy with the healthcare I receive from my HMO. They were even able to put back the good kidney they took out by mistake. Wink
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:31 pm
Tartarin: patience... patience.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:51 pm
Mamaj -- I was talking to my Republican friends the other day -- the ones I continually refer to as disillusioned with this admin -- and referred to myself (without quite thinking it through!) as a "libertarian liberal." They nodded and said, "That's what's happened to us!" These were people who were very enthusiastic about Bush (I gather their first doubts occurred during the Florida mess which embarrassed them). I sense the deficit has turned them off him completely...

Wolf, I'm patient but very much dislike barbarians and felt that, as "hostess," I should try to protect my "guests" from continuing discourtesies. Useless, I guess, when dealing with folks from grunt -n'-scratch land!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:52 pm
Wouldn't it be nice if people who were "wealthy as hell" would use their own health system and pay into it! I used to know Brits who did that, rather than tried to save by using what they didn't need to have for free.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 04:56 pm
You don't get it at do you Tart? You cannot "pay into it" in Canada, because then you'd be cutting the line, or at least be perceived as such.

The guy was just trying to be a good little Canadian...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 05:15 pm
As a 60 year old liberal with no brain, I am just too far out of it to understand how Bush is a conservative. In my book, predators have no real ideologies. It is possible to point to a few actions by such persons and deduce they are conservative, but, in the overall scheme of it, they have not the principles required to fit the description. Bush is president of multinational corporations (his pals and associates) first and of the American public mostly in name only. True conservatives are as principled as true liberals, just misguided. No way Bush is conservative.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 05:15 pm
Sure you can -- it just doesn't get you a better place in line (though I suppose it sometimes does). The point is to not overuse the system -- use one's judgment as a good citizen. I don't think your friend was a "good little Canadian." I think he/she may have been both a lot greedy and a little stupid for not getting the job done elsewhere (if he really couldn't wait) and not displace someone who was feeling just as much pain, was in just as much of a hurry, but who has fewer resources.

Do not overlook the numbers of Americans using the Canadian system and, more notably, recent American citizens who can't yet afford the American health system.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 11:23 pm
Oh Edgar, thank you. And Al Sharpton described himself as a conservative - he wants to conserve a lot of values about this country.

Perception - you have it backwards. The attitudes of hate and repression were very carefully built up over the years by Richard Mellon Scaife and all the hate-mongering republicans who had decided to kill off Clinton. For them it was a personal thing, and they didn't care who was standing in their path. And they continue their non-inclusion path in the House, which is hardly a friendly gesture. And personalize any issue they can. Look what they tried to do with Estrada and Pryor's nominations. I do hope you're not one of that hating crowd.

But the Chinese proverb that cautions "Be careful what you wish for, because you may get it" is proving itself out. What the repubs are trying to do in Texas is gathering them a lot of unwanted publicity.

See, the difference is that we progressives really care about the issues and the state of the American people, and are willing to fight for those beliefs. What your side did was create little pockets of personalized hatreds all over the place. That's why there is no safe middle ground anymore. If you want one, you will have to build a bridge.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 09:10 am
Quote:
What your side did was create little pockets of personalized hatreds all over the place. That's why there is no safe middle ground anymore. If you want one, you will have to build a bridge.

Standing up and cheering, on this cool autumnal morning, Mamajuana! Perfectly put; elegant image.
0 Replies