Is the Bush administration "conservative"?

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 06:03 pm
Here is a knife, Tartarin.
I suggest you keep it handy to pare your pretentiousness down just a notch, not all the time, mind you, just when it gets as stifling as it is right now.

No need to thank me, I'm sure we would all appreciate it.

Even if you can't appreciate (or even UNDERSTAND) the irony of my post.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 06:09 pm
Bi -- I think maybe you've nailed it!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:15 pm
You inspired me Bi . . . Helpless Dancer:

When a man is running from his boss
Who hold a gun that fires "cost"
And people die from being cold
Or left alone because they're old
And bombs are dropped on fighting cats
And children's dreams are run with rats
If you complain you disappear
Just like the lesbians and queers
No one can love without the grace
Of some unseen and distant face
And you get beaten up by blacks
Who though they worked still got the sack
And when your soul tells you to hide
Your very right to die denied
And in the battle on the streets
You fight computers and receipts
And when a man is trying to change
But only causes further pain
You realize that all along
Something in us going wrong...

You stop dancing.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:26 pm
There was quite a bit written about the Conservative Political Action Conference held in Arlington, VA earlier this year. A quaint little get-together of fans of Dick Cheney, Michael Weiner, Joe Scarborough:

Quote:
[F]or this faction of the far right, Muslims have replaced Communists as the lump sum, "bad guys" du jour, thus justifying their zeal for war and a crackdown on civil liberties at home, particularly when it comes to free speech, public dialogue, protest marches and the like by those with whom they disagree. Gosh, and I thought Conservatives were supposed to be stalwart defenders of our Bill of Rights (which includes freedom of speech and freedom to peacefully assemble, you may remember, as well as freedom of religion, which we'll get to next). What's more, as far as I've heard, Conservatives are supposed to be in favor of less, not more, government intrusion into our lives. Or so they say.

Since the definition of "conservatism" usually includes the words "moderation" and "caution," these folks cannot, in fact, be conservative. And they're clearly not compassionate conservatives. So then what are they?

The hate-mongers gather, and foment, in Northern Virginia

Now...which did I vote for again? Oh yeah...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:35 pm
No fascist choice?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:36 pm
We tryin' not to kill off any more of the conservatives here, Wilso, too many heartattacks from apoplexy lately . . .
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:04 pm
I think laughter at the rousing of the rabble would be more appropriate.

I mean it, you guys slay me!!!!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:32 pm
So why, then, Max, do you keep coming back? Must be something here that appeals to you that you won't admit. Reason, perhaps? A reasonable doubt? Maybe your wonderful repubs aren't?

I vote for radical reactionary, because I think these guys (since all their womenfolk appear to be leaving in droves) have not a care in the world beyond their own immediate satisfactions. They seem simple-minded in some ways. Their little Iraqi thing was obviously ill-planned, ill-timed, and based only on the intelligence they wanted to hear. While the CIA has goofed many times, all the stories point to Rummy, Wolfie, Perlie believing what the INC told them, shoving aside the CIA doubts. The sad thing is that they are dragging us down with them. In Argentina they call Bush El Borracho - isn't that wonderful! And in Iraq we're certainly not the hero liberators.

What I consider myself, Tart? Well, I don't rightly know. I tend to think I'm more moderate, but I'm definitely on the side of the liberal angels.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 11:33 pm
The more you laugh, the longer you live, and the entertainment provided to me by the poor, wretched, tortured, souls as they wax nostalgic for the good old days and cry in their beers and up their sleeves about the goings on of the present administration is gold I tell you, pure gold!

Thanks for asking!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 12:51 am
You know, Max, the good old days included such republicans aas Cohen, Dole........what we have now is DeLay and others. I agree, they're laughable. Would that they were smarter and better.

And still you return. We may give you a good laugh, but that's only because we are compassionate, and realize you don't have much to laugh about. Repubs for the most part seem to be a stiff, provincial bunch - not you, of course.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 06:30 am
I know I keep coming back because i know deep down you all want to be saved. Saved from the delusional world that you live in where Bill and Hillary can do no evil and where the smell of patchoulli has overwhelmed your senses...

Step into the light...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:04 am
McGentrix wrote:
I know I keep coming back because i know deep down you all want to be saved. Saved from the delusional world that you live in where Bill and Hillary can do no evil and where the smell of patchoulli has overwhelmed your senses...

Step into the light...

Talk about delusional...talk about needing to step into the light!!!

Are you saying that someone here thinks Bill and Hillary can do no evil???

One of the things you gotta get use to in these forums, McG, is to argue against what people say -- rather than what you are pretending they are saying. Otherwise you look like a chump...which in your case...ah....well, never mind that part.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:29 am
Gee, Frank, lighten up. I am tired of arguing against what people say here because they never reply and what people say strays all over the place. It's like there is no conviction to anyones beliefs. I try to make an arguement and get those neat little "one line gems" that are as meaningful as a dog turd in Central Park. I have been involved in 3, maybe 4 "good" discussions about politics here. Therefore, I feel the need to sink down to the competitions level and act as I see they do. So, with that being said:

Frank, then are you saying that Bill and Hillary aren't the current patron saints of the left?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:30 am
Careful Frank. You might goad him into saying something foolish. Heh heh.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:34 am
Yeah! Better watch it!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:37 am
McGentrix wrote:
Gee, Frank, lighten up.

Okay, I promise to lighten up.

Quote:
Therefore, I feel the need to sink down to the competitions level and act as I see they do.

You're doing a bang up job with that -- and I'll fight anyone who disagrees with me about it.

Quote:
Frank, then are you saying that Bill and Hillary aren't the current patron saints of the left?

I'm an agnostic. Wadda ya want me to say in response to a question like that?

But in case you are being metaphorical -- well...I suspect most of the people who like Bill and Hillary (me being one) don't consider them saints in any sense of that word. Most of us probably don't even consider them completely trustworthy or truthful -- they are politicians after all.

But we do consider them intelligent.

Most of us do not consider some of the politicians currently in power (no names mentioned at this point) to be intelligent -- or even close to intelligent.

So how'd I do in my "lightened up" mode?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:42 am
Much better in the lightening up.

Quote:
Most of us do not consider some of the politicians currently in power (no names mentioned at this point) to be intelligent -- or even close to intelligent.

I just can't see this. Even though I disagree that Hillary is human, I consider her very intelligent. Bill too. You are confusing intelligence with wisdom (which any D&D player will tell you is a bad thing) and that makes your arguement invalid. To say that the administration is not intelligent, is like saying the Earth is flat. Like minded people will agree with you, but the facts say differently.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 07:54 am
and the facts are?
0 Replies

Brian

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:03 am
McGentrix wrote:
I am tired of arguing against what people say here because they never reply and what people say strays all over the place. It's like there is no conviction to anyones beliefs. I try to make an arguement and get those neat little "one line gems" that are as meaningful as a dog turd in Central Park. I have been involved in 3, maybe 4 "good" discussions about politics here. Therefore, I feel the need to sink down to the competitions level and act as I see they do. So, with that being said:

I came to this site because I became tired of arguing with the hardliners at Abuzz. Then there was the spamming. I like to debate, but there is no debating with the extreme left, or the extreme right for that matter. There appear to be more liberals here vs moderates or conservatives which equals a disproportionate representation of the America I know. Does anyone know of any other sites that are a better political representation of the US population?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:10 am
Brian: Don't give up on us yet, I think that we are salvageable.
As to your question, I would pm Sofia, I think she may be able to assist you.
0 Replies