Rudy Giuliani {president}??

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 04:42 pm
xingu

I doubt the evangelicals will ever vote Dem. I think they might hold their collective nose to avoid a Hilary or Obama.

What do you think?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 04:49 pm
Why would the evangelicals necessarily avoid Obama?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 04:56 pm
Why would they avoid Hilary?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:02 pm
I don't know - why would they?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:05 pm
They are perceived to embody a drastic departure to stage left.

I can't say that I have feelers for the evangelicals' racial temperature.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:11 pm
xingu wrote:
It's difficult to win in the Republican party without the support of the evangelical base.

I added the emphasis. It's not so much that evangelicals are some sort of a swing vote -- that they're equally likely to vote D or R and just need to be convinced -- but that they're needed to vote a Republican in. If they stay home (don't vote) or even just fail to actively campaign for the candidate, that could have a real impact.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:17 pm
Yes. The point I was attempting to make. They know the result of not voting is giving an election to someone they consider a "worse evil."

They can be counted on most of the time to go out to the polls whether they are happy with the candidate or not. Of course, nothing is certain.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:47 pm
OK.

I went looking for some stats -- what I found was that evangelicals are generally less bloc-ish than I'd thought. 78% went Republican in 2004, but a majority voted for Clinton. There is something called "freestyle evangelicals" that looks interesting.

Anyway, I agree with the general idea that Rudy may well be too socially liberal to win. Especially if Obama is the nominee, since he is the kind who would be more likely to get the majority that Clinton (Bill) got, I think. Comfortably religious, fluent in the language of the church, etc.

As in, if Obama is the nominee, I think he'd get both liberals and a lot of moderates (including moderate evangelicals), cutting into a lot of Rudy's potential support. That would leave the more far-right people who might not want to campaign for him enthusiastically, even if he's the lesser of two evils (especially if the other evil is Obama -- I could easily see them getting more energized about Hillary, which is part of why I DON'T want her to be the Dem nominee).
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 06:00 pm
A possibility.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 06:07 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
wouldn't be the worst thing i can imagine. it might do the country good to have a president with a little slack in the ol' personality department for a change. it's been pretty damn uptight 'round here.

If you think Rudy's an easy-goin' guy because he performed in drag, I beg to differ. He can be extremely uptight, as he tended to be as Mayor any time a NY museum showed art he disapproved of. Then he was quite the scold...

Maybe the "morals" crowd will like him after all!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:44 pm
Monte Cargo wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
No way a guy with this bad a combover can get elected president.

Edwards' future campaign slogan?

http://gazette.unc.edu/archives/04jul14/7-16-webpix/john-edwards.jpg

Are you suggesting Edwards has a combover?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:39 am
If you followed NYC politics when he was mayor, you might agree that Rudy is a bit of an odd duck, and not because he dressed in drag for laughs. My favorite Rudy story involves an ongoing radio feud with a New Yorker that was outraged by NY's prohibition against owning ferrets as pets.

The leadership he displayed on and shortly after 9/11 was superb, and it's tough to imagine someone who might have acted better than he did. He was also responsible for cleaning up NYC, and reviving it as the business and cultural center of the nation. However, prior to 9/11 he was hardly a rising political star.

It just proves everything is relative, but one of the knocks against Rudy as mayor was that he was too moralistic.

There certainly should be room within not only the Republican party but the conservative movement for someone who is pro-choice and not anti-gay, and I think there can be.

I don't however, think that Rudy can make it through the Republican primaries any more than Joe Lieberman or Ben Nelson could make it through the Democratic primaries.

I'm not sure what sort of president he would make, but he certainly would be entertaining.

BTW - It is perfectly asinine to suggest that Republicans, even generally, view someone who dresses in drag for a laugh as a "F***KING FA***T." This is similar to suggesting that Democrats, generally, consider members of the US military to be rapists and murders. Equally idiotic.
0 Replies

cnredd

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 03:56 pm
Rudy would be a "feel good" President, but I don't know how he'd do when it comes to putting things on paper...

He seems to be a right-leaning version of President "He Whom Shall Never Be Blamed For Anything" we had in the 90s...

His policies would be based on polls instead of just doing what's right...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 12:27 pm
maybe. at this point i have a hard time thinking he'd do worse than what we've got now.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 03:29 pm
Giuliani's Primary Hurdle
Polls Aside, Skeptics Say GOP Won't Nominate a Social Liberal for President

By Michael Powell and Chris Cillizza
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, December 19, 2006; Page A01

NEW YORK, Dec. 18 -- His national poll numbers are a dream, he's a major box office draw on the Republican Party circuit, and he goes by the shorthand title "America's Mayor." All of which has former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani convinced he just might become America's president in 2008.

He is showing the early signs of a serious candidacy: Giuliani's presidential exploratory committee throws its first major fundraiser in a hotel near Times Square on Tuesday evening, and he recently hired the political director of the Republican National Committee during 2006. A Washington Post-ABC News poll released last week found that Republicans give Giuliani an early lead over Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who is far ahead of the former mayor in organizing a national campaign.

Despite that lead, conservative party strategists and activists in key primary states are skeptical and warn that the socially liberal Republican faces a difficult campaign. They question whether a Republican who has had one marriage end in annulment and another in divorce, and favors abortion rights, gun control and immigrant rights, has much retail appeal in the evangelical and deeply conservative reaches of the GOP.

"If the Republican Party wants to send the social conservatives home for good, all they have to do is nominate Rudy Giuliani," said Rick Scarborough, a Southern Baptist minister and president of Vision America. "It's an insult to the pro-Christian agenda. . . . He's going to spend a lot of money finding he can't get out of the Republican primaries."

Giuliani is reticent about how he would overcome these obstacles -- he declined to be interviewed before the fundraisers, which are closed to the news media. But members of his intensely loyal inner circle said they expect him to run and campaign aggressively.

His strategy will be to capitalize on his status as a tough and plain-talking hero of Sept. 11, 2001. He believes, say advisers, that his tough views on national security -- he supports the USA Patriot Act -- and on Iraq, where he opposes withdrawal of troops, will overshadow his liberal social views. He will frame some of those positions as libertarian -- government has no business interfering in the bedroom.

Many Republicans say no. The party has grown steadily disenchanted with liberal members of the party, and it was Republican moderates in the Northeast who suffered many losses in last month's elections.

"For us to nominate him, we have to say those issues are not really important to us [and] we care more about winning regardless of the philosophy of our candidate," GOP consultant Curt Anderson said. "I don't believe that a majority of Republican primary voters will make that choice."

But in a measure of the party's divisions, other Republicans, such as California financier Bill Simon and talk show host Dennis Prager, say his social liberalism is of less concern. They are among a group of conservative activists who see in Giuliani a Reagan-like figure, sometimes wrong but possessed of unshakable conservative beliefs.

They also see a Republican Party that must establish a beachhead in Blue State America.

"Republicans do understand it is political suicide to keep this red-state, blue-state thing going any longer," said Barry Wynn, former chairman of the South Carolina Republican Party and a recruit to Giuliani's banner. "We need someone competitive in all 50 states."

Giuliani, 62, presents an unusual figure in recent political history. His coolness after the Sept. 11 attacks, and his eloquence about that loss, rendered him that rare mayor who could step onto the national political stage. He has a core of socially liberal positions -- he also supports domestic partnerships for same-sex couples, although not marriage -- but wraps it in a hide as tough as any conservative Republican.

He's a crime fighter and a tax and welfare cutter. He campaigned for George W. Bush in 2000 and staked out unyielding positions on Iraq -- he said recently that withdrawing soon from Iraq "would be a terrible mistake." He also disputed the recent findings of the Iraq Study Group, the bipartisan commission of elder statesmen, that concluded that untangling the Israeli-Palestinian knot is central to achieving a broader Middle East peace.
Giuliani, who was born in Brooklyn and raised on Long Island, is an intensely disciplined candidate. In his mayoral campaigns, he appealed to white Democrats, Catholics and Jews, while drawing substantial votes from Latinos. (He was far less attractive to African Americans, whose young men bore the brunt of his controversial anti-crime tactics and whose leaders rarely stepped inside the mayor's inner circle.)

Whether he can extend that appeal in a national campaign will be the biggest test that Giuliani faces.

And tactically, the shape of Giuliani's campaign depends on forces outside his control. If, for example, New Jersey successfully pushes its primary day ahead of South Carolina on the calendar, and if he wins in New Hampshire, Giuliani could gain momentum.

"If they put the Northern states early, he becomes formidable because he's the unquestioned hero in the first shot of the war on terror," said Hank Sheinkopf, a longtime Democratic consultant. "If I'm a Republican consultant, I wait until the Southern primaries and blow him up on social issues: the he divorce, the annulment, posing in drag at the party at City Hall."

Republican operatives caution that Giuliani is far behind in the "talent primary" -- the back-stage battle for sought-after campaign staffers. McCain and Gov. Mitt Romney (R-Mass.) have so far dominated this inside but important game.

Giuliani has pressed his case in South Carolina, hoping to lay claim to that party's evangelical heart. Wynn, the former state chairman, and Warren Tompkins, the well-respected South Carolina consultant, flew up to have lunch with the former mayor in New York in the spring. Wynn left a Giuliani man; Tompkins signed on with Romney.

Giuliani made two visits to Iowa in 2006 -- spending Election Day stumping with Jim Nussle, the party's nominee for governor. But his inroads are few among social conservatives. Steve Scheffler, the head of the Iowa Christian Alliance, said Giuliani had yet to reach out to him. Scheffler takes a skeptic's view of the former mayor, noting that between 70 and 75 percent of Republican caucus voters in 2008 will be "pro-life and pro-marriage."

Some Republicans in Washington speculate that Giuliani is but dipping his toe in presidential waters. Others privately advise him to return to his lucrative consulting practice.

Others who know him say to keep watching.

"He's been running seriously for a year and a half," said Fred Siegel, a historian at Cooper Union who briefly advised Giuliani years ago and who later wrote "The Prince of the City: Giuliani, New York and the Genius of American Life."

"He's a competent wonk with a very hard edge, and that could make him formidable if the primaries break right."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/18/AR2006121801410.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 04:28 pm
http://i13.tinypic.com/2a00r5s.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/2my6wr6.jpg

Online: Revealed: Rudy's '08 battle plans
0 Replies