Rudy Giuliani {president}??

au1929

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 08:52 am
BY DAVID SALTONSTALL and HELEN KENNEDY
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Quote:

Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Sen. Hillary Clinton may just end up competing against each other once again - in the 2008 presidential election.

America's mayor is taking the first step toward an official run for America's President.
Rudy Giuliani, who is idolized by Republicans as the hero of 9/11 and the man who cleaned up New York, set up an exploratory committee - the traditional first step in the long slog towards the White House.

On Sunday in Pennsylvania, Giuliani said he was giving a run for the presidency "a lot of thought" and would make a decision "sometime next year."

Three of Giuliani's most trusted lieutenants filed papers with the state on Friday forming the Rudy Giuliani Presidential Exploratory Committee, allowing him to raise money to "test the waters" without officially declaring himself a candidate.

"We have taken the necessary legal steps so an organization can be put in place and money can be raised to explore a possible presidential run in 2008," said John Gross, a director of the new committee with Peter Powers and Dennison Young - all alums of Giuliani's 1993 mayoral campaign.

"It is not a declaration, it is not an announcement - it is none of that," said a Giuliani aide. "It is the legal, back-room stuff that you have to do."

The move potentially sets up a dramatic New York rematch of his aborted 2000 Senate race against Sen. Hillary Clinton, who is expected to set up her own presidential committee soon. Her office had no comment yesterday.

Giuliani dropped out of the 2000 Senate race in a whirl of drama: He had been diagnosed with prostate cancer and had decided to leave his second wife for his mistress.

On Sunday, GOP Sen. John McCain of Arizona said he may set up his own exploratory committee as soon as next week.

While pundits usually hail McCain as the front-runner in the GOP nomination, Republicans consistently tell pollsters their top pick is Giuliani.

Though mired in unpopularity in the summer of 2001, Giuliani's fortitude in the hours and days after the attack on the World Trade Center earned him worldwide admiration and made him a political rock star.

He has spent months traveling the country for GOP candidates, all the while burnishing his image among the party faithful as an anti-tax, crimefighting conservative who successfully ruled New York City - the dark blue heart of blue America.

Giuliani's leadership political action committee, Solutions America, raised $2.3 million and doled out $1.2 million to 55 GOP candidates. He has about $1 million left.

As a candidate, his biggest selling point may be the ability to project no-nonsense competence - a valuable asset when many voters view the current administration as hopelessly bumbling in a crisis.

But most Beltway political analysts think Giuliani's moderate positions on guns, abortion and gays will kill him among the right-wing conservatives who vote in primaries.

In particular, Giuliani's support for gay rights will likely play badly in a party that has been revving up its base by demonizing gays. There are enough snapshots of Hizzoner marching in gay pride parades and goofing around in drag to illustrate a hundred attack ads.

A preview of what Giuliani, a 62-year-old thrice-married Catholic, could face in the heartland came in a 2002 debate, when Democrat Alex Sanders famously attacked Senate candidate Lindsey Graham for being buddies with Giuliani.

"Giuliani is an ultraliberal," Sanders said. "He supports gay rights. He supports banning all handguns. He supports abortion. His wife kicked him out, and he moved in with two gay men and a Shih Tzu. Is that South Carolina values? I don't think so."

It was actually a Chihuahua named Bonnie, but the point was made.

Could Rudy get the republican nomination let alone be elected president??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,243 • Replies: 75
No top replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:18 am
Not with my vote, he's way too liberal for me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:56 am
He don't get my vote. He's way too Republican for me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:10 am
It would be the best thing that could happen to the country!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 07:17 am
I believe Rudy has the makings of a idfeal cheif executive. However, as long as he remains in the republican fold he will not get my vote. That is if the Democrates do not choose a complete dunderhead or ultra liberal to run for the presidency.

Should the choice be between Rudy and Hillary, Hillary gets my vote.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 08:52 am
edgarblythe wrote:
He don't get my vote. He's way too Republican for me.

Yes, the "new republican", he is like them, liberal. Some of the Dems that were elected this time are more conservative than our so called conservative republicans.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 08:59 am
If he is the best person for the job on the ballot, he will get my vote. Otherwise, the best person on the ballot will.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:03 am
I can't WAIT until he's president.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 11:51 am
Having read a couple of biographies of him in the past two or three years, I think I'd consider moving off the continent if he was elected.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 11:55 am
What biographies did you read? Maybe I should check 'em out too.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 11:57 am
Can I ask why you think he'd be a good president?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:00 pm
All this discussion is immaterial - he has appeared in Drag in the past, and consequently will not be the Republican nominee. Bank on it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:05 pm
You're kidding, of course. I'm sure the shrubster did much worse in his party days (up to the age of 40).
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:17 pm
Snood
He has a lot of baggage that will not go big with the Republican voter from the mid west or south.
married 3 times .
alleged Mistress,now wife, while still married to wife #2
Favors gun control
Gay rights
Abortion
And although a republican has a liberal bias.

He would do better as a democratic candidate.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:20 pm
Yeah, but if Cyclop was serious about dressing in drag being an impediment, I disagree.

And, are you saying that the dems would be more tolerant and inclusive, or that they're just as weird? Because if the latter, the repubs can't really throw any "weirdness" stones, anymore.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:28 pm
snood wrote:
Yeah, but if Cyclop was serious about dressing in drag being an impediment, I disagree.

And, are you saying that the dems would be more tolerant and inclusive, or that they're just as weird? Because if the latter, the repubs can't really throw any "weirdness" stones, anymore.

Certainly more tolerant than the bible belt backwards bumbkins, that should raise a few hackles Laughing Or the evangelicals.

In addition his values are more in line with the democrates.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:34 pm
au1929 wrote:
In addition his values are more in line with the democrates.

So then why would you vote for Hillary over him?

You say you don't want an ultra-liberal and you obvliously don't want a hard core conservative, so I would think that someone like Rudy would be right up your alley.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:35 pm
"Bible belt bumbkins"? Why are they bumpkins?
Rudy Guilliani is a RINO & would fit better with Dems since his "values" do seem to mach theirs more closely.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:37 pm
au1929 wrote:
I believe Rudy has the makings of a idfeal cheif executive. However, as long as he remains in the republican fold he will not get my vote. That is if the Democrates do not choose a complete dunderhead or ultra liberal to run for the presidency.

Should the choice be between Rudy and Hillary, Hillary gets my vote.

Rudy would kick Hillary's ass. In fact, anyone the republicans put up there would kick Hillary's ass. If the Dems put Hillary up, they might as well just concede.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:39 pm
Favors gun control
Gay rights
Abortion
Should he actually run for election, all these "values" will dramaticlly change to meet the needs of the bible-belt dunderheads.
0 Replies