Who Lost Iraq?

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
I think your point was something like "Impeach Bush for his illegal war."

You are confusing thought with a strong desire to demonize someone you have cast as your opponent. Even a passing familiarity with my posts in political threads would have taught you that not only have i never supported the notion of impeachment, but have consistently said that it would not happen, and that it would be a bad idea for the Democrats to pursue it now that they've won the mid-term elections. Therefore, basically, you have created a strawman with which to pursue the idiocy which follows.

The generously profane post from you that I replied to illustrates either:

A). You are on the same side as LoneStarMadam, understand the implications of a post 9/11 world and a wingnut like Saddam Hussein using aggressive force while allowing terrorists a safe haven and a possible source for acquiring WMD to use against the U.S.

B). You are virulently anti-war and are using the Constitutional argument, which has been a non-issue since the anti-war activists tried to make it an issue.

I go with "B".

Quote:
Quote:
I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you probably voted for Bill Clinton in 1992 and 1996.

You are out on a limb. I never voted for Clinton.

I apologize for being presumptuous about your voting for Clinton. I now realize from your replies that you probably were too young to vote in either 1992 or 1996.

Quote:
Quote:
Remember that little thing called Bosnia? Well then? Perhaps another string of profanity laced explicatives will accompany your explanation of the Constitution and that little conflict.

I don't know what you think the constitution has to do with a war in which the United States did not participate, other than as a member state of NATO. You are probably confused (a condition which your posts suggest is common for you) because the North Atlantic Treaty Organization responded to attacks on the United Nations Protection Force by launching Operation Deliberate Force, in which units of the United States Air Force participated. However, that Congress acquiesced in American participation in the Bosnian mission of NATO can be seen can be seen in this trascript of the April, 1995, Congressional Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe, which is found at Global Security-dot-org's library of Congressional documents.

Your conclusion is thus if the United States participates, and even leads an invasion within a multinational coalition, then U.S. soldiers lose their individual identity within the larger concept of NATO. This illuminates the fact plainly that I am dealing with a "one-worlder". Here is another dead giveaway to the fact that as much as you may attempt to disguise your true position, the clues always betray such attempts. Oh, by the way, I know of American ground troops in Bosnia. You might want to actually take the time to learn about the conflict as opposed to hastily cutting and pasting from some site. I don't think that either U.S. soldiers who were crippled by land mines in Bosnia, or the relatives of soldiers killed in action would take too kindly to your denying the U.S. presence in Bosnia or the manner in which you separate the United States from NATO within that same conflict.

The point, of which you completely missed is that the process by which Clinton ordered U.S. troops into Haiti and Bosnia is exactly the same, and even with less Congressional oversight, than George W. Bush leading troops into Iraq.

Quote:
Quote:
Harry S. Truman, another democrat, led U.S. forces into the Korean conflict in the 1950s. Ooh. No Congressional declaration of war...You can't impeach him, because he was a democrat, and worse, you can't impeach him for Truman's illegal war because Truman is dead.

This is hilariously ironic, given that flannel-mouthed commie hunters like Tailgunner Joe McCarthy condemned Truman for being soft on communism.

Your bright-white loathing of a good republican steward, who was posthumously proven correct with the publication of the Vedona Chronicles, is also a dead giveaway as to your position. McCarthy outed subversive Soviet agents who were seeking an aggressive coup within this country. McCarthy hunted them a generation or two ago and it makes some people angry, just as the idea that there is a hunt for our enemies going on now makes the same type of people angry. What is truly ironic, now, is people who demonstrate the least care for protecting our western civilization and way of life are the very same people waving the Constitution in people's faces.

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone with a modicum of understanding of U.S. history can find many examples of presidents leading troops into action without first obtaining the blessing of Congress (or the United Nations).

That in no way authorizes a contention that Congress ceded its war-making powers to the Presidency after the Second World War, a claim which the Lone Star Whorehouse's Madam has made, and which neither she nor you have been able to substantiate.

Perhaps because it is an argument that is at best a moot point before it even starts. You have placed the cart before the horse. Once again, typical leftist philosophy is that the executive branch either is or ought to be the weakest of the three branches, with all power being generated from the judicial branch first, followed by the legislative branch. The president does not need to rely on "Congress ceding" power in order to call troops into action, although Congress voted twice to specifically allow this president that power, once in 2001, and again in late 2002. Congress has then voted to approve appropriations to fund the military in the Iraq conflict. And where else is your argument going than either to cut and run in Iraq, using some convoluted misinterpretation of the Articles 1 & 2, or cutting and running by means of attempting to impeach the president for waging an illegal war?

Quote:
Quote:
The leftist point of view is that the executive branch should be the weakest of the three branches with the judiciary the strongest, especially when a republican is in office.

This looks very much like another strawman, since you write of leftists with contempt, and it seems very likely that it is most convenient for you to characterize leftists in a manner which will make it easy for you to destroy the point of view which you attribute to them--the classic example of a strawman.

However, since i am not a "leftist," i really couldn't say for sure, and don't in fact care. My point is that the Lone Star Whorehouse's Madam claimed that Congress has ceded its war making powers to the Presidency since the Second World War, but has provided no evidence that this is the case. Neither have you.

I do hold leftists in contempt and make no effort whatsoever to hide that fact. I do not, however consider all democrats to be leftists, only the most virulent, self-loathing individuals who place the interests of this country behind everything else. I believe that they only represent a very small minority, say about 7% of the U.S. population. The ACLU, Howard Dean, Ted Kennedy, Nancy Pelosi, John Murtha, John Kerry, Al Gore and Hilary Clinton fall into this category. Blue-dog conservative democrats are people I believe every bit as patriotic as conservatives.

Quote:
Quote:
I submit, with some confidence, that LoneStar isn't the poster in the most danger of being taken for, now how did you put it?...a loud mouth bullshit artist.

That's a good point, now that you've posted and shown your pre-eminent qualifications for the honor.

If you want to see honor, tell everyone how your pro-One World utopia and, hatred of McCarthy, defense of Clinton at the expense of Bush jibes with your protests of not being a leftist. Very Happy It usually takes more than one post to create an impression. Congratulations on making short work of this chore.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:16 pm
McTag wrote:
Welcome, Monte Cargo. The Right on these threads needs another good writer, because most of them have slunk away, having been proved wrong over Bush and the Iraq invasion.
On American History I defer to those better equipped to answer your points, and I look forward with interest to that exchange.

Smile

Hi McTag and thanks heartily for the welcome. While I am, unquestionably, part of the Right, I don't cheerlead for George W. Bush, (at least full time). I also don't see Iraq and the way that war has been prosecuted, as the shining star of Bush's presidency.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:21 pm
I believe it is premature to conclude that Iraq has been "lost". Certainly the events of the past three years have not gone as was undoubtedly desired and intended by our government. However it appears likely that our original expectations were themselves unrealistic. There is certainly a danger that Iraq will disintegrate towards civil war and a loose confederation of basically hostile parts. However outcomes a good deal better than that are reasonably likely as well. As the disputing factions in Iraq come to realize that we will indeed eventually leave, and that they, not we will inherit the situation there, they will very likely recognize that they have a common interest in finding a new modus vivendi.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:31 pm
Quote:
It usually takes more than one post to create an impression. Congratulations on making short work of this chore.

This knife cuts both ways, of course, but I doubt that you care about that an ounce more than Setanta does.

Welcome to A2K; as one of those liberals that you despise, let me offer you a piece of advice; this place is better than most on the internet, with a large percentage of intelligent posters (whether or not they share your opinions) and a low percentage of trolls and miscreants. If you plan on staying for the long haul, you may want to moderate your tone... slightly Laughing

The greatest lesson this site has taught me is that many times Conservatives make arguments that are every bit as good as mine, as much as I disagree with them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:34 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I believe it is premature to conclude that Iraq has been "lost". Certainly the events of the past three years have not gone as was undoubtedly desired and intended by our government. However it appears likely that our original expectations were themselves unrealistic. There is certainly a danger that Iraq will disintegrate towards civil war and a loose confederation of basically hostile parts. However outcomes a good deal better than that are reasonably likely as well. As the disputing factions in Iraq come to realize that we will indeed eventually leave, and that they, not we will inherit the situation there, they will very likely recognize that they have a common interest in finding a new modus vivendi.

So, setting a timetable and making plans for leaving won't help them realize this fact?

I only ask this because those who suggested doing so earlier were called every sort of low name one can imagine...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:35 pm
Zippo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
...yeah right, it would be the same as 'talking to a rabid dog' & they hated us before we invaded, 911 proved that.

This is why :

Quote:
In 15 Years (1991-2006), the US has caused/contributed to 1,000,000 Iraqi deaths

Persian Gulf War: 150,000
Gulf War Aftermath: Many thousands
UN Sanctions: Primary cause of 600,000 deaths
Iraq War: 250,000

Important: Whether or not you believe that US foreign policy caused/contributed to all of these deaths - the death toll is a valid, conservative estimate of Iraqi deaths in the past 15 years in excess of what would have been expected if there had been peace. PLEASE TELL PEOPLE THIS NUMBER -- maybe it is big enough to shock the American public awake and cause them to realize the true devastation in Iraq:1,000,000

The Persian Gulf War did not have to happen: Hussein did not invade Kuwait until after he had received an assurance from April Gillespie that the "US had no opinion on Arab-Arab conflicts." Even if he had invaded, alternatives to war were available. link

The Gulf War Aftermath Encouraged by American radio broadcasts to rise up against their 'dictator', the Kurds of northern Iraq rebelled against a nominally defeated and certainly weakened Saddam Hussein in March of 1991. Fear of being drawn into an Iraqi civil war and possible diplomatic repercussions precluded President Bush from committing US forces to support the Kurds. Within days Iraqi forces recovered and launched a ruthless counteroffensive including napalm and chemical attacks from helicopters. They quickly reclaimed lost territory and crushed the rebellion. By the first week of April, 800 to 1,000 people, mostly the very young and the very old, were dying each day. link Al Franken has said that many 100,000's of Kurds and Shia were slaughtered, but I do not have a printed source.

UN (US/UK Sanctions) The United Nations Security Council has maintained comprehensive economic sanctions on Iraq from August 1990 until March 2003. Sanctions in Iraq hurt large numbers of innocent civilians not only by limiting the availability of food and medicines, but also by disrupting the whole economy, and reducing the national capacity of water treatment, electrical systems and other infrastructure critical for health and life. The oil-for-food program provided an average of $200 per year for each of 23,000,000 Iraqis - well below the international poverty level. In the UN Security Council, countries urged the US and UK to allow the sanctions to be lifted, but the US/UK would not allow this. link link

Iraq War A Johns Hopkins University study published in the British medical journal The Lancet in October, 2004. // The figure of 100,000 had been based on somewhat "conservative assumptions", notes Les Roberts at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, U.S., who led the study. That estimate excludes Falluja, a hotspot for violence. If the data from this town is included, the compiled studies point to about 250,000 excess deaths since the outbreak of the U.S.-led war. // Eman Ahmad Khamas.... said: "This occupation has destroyed Iraq. Americans don't know that tens of thousands of Iraqis are in prisons. Americans don't know how many have been killed. Lancet reported 100,000 in 2004, not counting Falluja. Now it is something like double this number." link link

Source

At least you were honest about disclosing that your article came from the democratic underground, that bastion of impartiality and non-partisan objectivity.

Where Bush41 had his failings for his '90's version of the Bay of Pigs, this president should be applauded for actually doing the wet work his father didn't have the nads to do.

Numbers. They've swung wildly from 600,000 Iraquis killed to over 1,000,000 Iraqui casualties and all to be blamed on the United States, or worse, republican administrations in the United States. So my first question is why stop at 1,000,000? Why not 10,000,000 or 100,000,000? What are the sources for these numbers? If it's the democratic underground, the figures probably come from bodycount.org., another propoganda site.

Sorry, but I can't get behind blaming the United States for Saddam gassing and committing genocide against his own countryment. I only blame Saddam for that. This is one area I will fault Clinton. Clinton was being interviewed and he compared us with the jihadists, referring to slavery. These articles that you post have very unique ways of totalling the losses, with the common denominator being blame for the U.S. I find that incredibly biased and unfair to this country, as well as extremely uncredible, not only in its logic, but in its crunching of the numbers.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:36 pm
"It is premature ...."
Exactly, & I agree, the war has not gone as we expected it to, but then we haven't really turned loose yet, not sure that we ever will. PC is the culprit in this war, IMO.
The bomb dropped on Nagasaki & Hiroshima was a terriable thing, but it sure ended hostilities with Japan & saving lives, both American & Japanese.
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:52 pm
If we pulled out now, I'd imagine that Iran would be rather nervous.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:58 pm
I'd be nervous too, the boys & girls wearing burkas & baggy pants/dresses would come join us in a tick tock, carrying gawd knows what in those baggy clothes & diapers on their head.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 10:59 pm
Quote:

Numbers. They've swung wildly from 600,000 Iraquis killed to over 1,000,000 Iraqui casualties and all to be blamed on the United States, or worse, republican administrations in the United States. So my first question is why stop at 1,000,000? Why not 10,000,000 or 100,000,000? What are the sources for these numbers? If it's the democratic underground, the figures probably come from bodycount.org., another propoganda site.

The Iraqi Health ministry estimates 150k dead. That's not a propaganda site, now is it?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 11:01 pm
I was thinking more along the lines of Iran having to deal with an unstable Middle East. I think it could actually weaken their current postion.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 11:09 pm
Ah, I guess it could.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 11:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
It usually takes more than one post to create an impression. Congratulations on making short work of this chore.

This knife cuts both ways, of course, but I doubt that you care about that an ounce more than Setanta does.

Welcome to A2K; as one of those liberals that you despise, let me offer you a piece of advice; this place is better than most on the internet, with a large percentage of intelligent posters (whether or not they share your opinions) and a low percentage of trolls and miscreants. If you plan on staying for the long haul, you may want to moderate your tone... slightly Laughing

The greatest lesson this site has taught me is that many times Conservatives make arguments that are every bit as good as mine, as much as I disagree with them.

Cycloptichorn

Thank you for the seasoned, dare I say, sage advice.

Unfortunately, I sometimes attune myself to the pitch of the poster that I am replying to, but since I choose not to bellow profane cursives at my opponent (in the post from which you drew your inferences), the rhetoric from my side of the street fell with the litmus of acid rain.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 12:28 am
well, lsm and monte as massegetto/bernard/marion t?

no caps...(the boy has learned to cover his spore)

a familarity with poster setanta remarkable for a poster of a single day.

ditto with a2k software

over a hundred posts within a day

unctuous a$$holiness masked by politeness?

yeah, that's him.

fruitcake.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 12:35 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So, setting a timetable and making plans for leaving won't help them realize this fact?

I only ask this because those who suggested doing so earlier were called every sort of low name one can imagine...

Cycloptichorn

In principal the setting of a timetable is a good idea as you suggest. mI have no quarrel with it. However making this timetable the subject of as partisam public political debate with all the attendant side interests of the contending parties is a recipe for disaster --- as we learned in Vietnam.
0 Replies

petghostlookyloo

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 02:43 am
Who lost Iraq?
I think it's still between Iran and Syria. Does King George know it's lost? Oh...wait...he's living in Bushland but visiting Viet Nam right now. I wonder if he's hiding in the jungle? Maybe he's looking for Iraq there. To give a serious answer...Dumsfeld lost Iraq.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:32 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
"It is premature ...."
Exactly, & I agree, the war has not gone as we expected it to, but then we haven't really turned loose yet, not sure that we ever will. PC is the culprit in this war, IMO.
The bomb dropped on Nagasaki & Hiroshima was a terriable thing, but it sure ended hostilities with Japan & saving lives, both American & Japanese.

This is what we've go to contend with.

So, to further the Pax Americana, what should we nix? Damascus? Tehran?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:46 am
Curious influx of new posters here.

Lone Star Madam

You said, in a post last evening, that the negative progress of the war in Iraq can be attributed to "PC". That's a cliche, precisely the sort which tells us much about what information sources you attend to. Cliches don't expand or encourage thought, they act to terminate it. "With us or against us" or "You can't talk to terrorists" being two more such examples. Last weekend, Dan Bartlett revealed that the administration has, after all, been talking with Syria and with Iran. The response of many of us on hearing that admission (certainly including James Baker, Brent Scowcroft and probably Bush 1, etc) was approximately, "Thank you for dropping the stupid black/white cliches and finally getting real".

Blaming some conception you have of PC doesn't make much sense. Where does that (presumably limiting) PCness reside? The War College? The Pentagon? Rumsfeld's or Cheney's staff? Franks? The Provisional Authority? The White House? Strategic and tactical plans and decisions weren't made elsewhere. Congress has ponied up for the WH on pretty much every request.

Another cliche is that "this President doesn't attend to nor care about polls". Some folks, quite amazingly, actually believe that to be so though Karl Rove wouldn't be one of them. But if you hold it to be an accurate description of this president's independence, self confidence, and propensity to operate on principal, then it's rather difficult to reconcile how he would be bothered one whit by PCness nor why he would establish or change policy to match it. Yes?

I suppose you might make an argument that the recent election results are a consequence of too many of the electorate coming to hold PC notions but that obviously has no retroactive effect on the war.

So, how do you conceive that it is any sort of relevant factor at all in what has happened?

Second question, relating to the several articles at and near the beginning of this thread... what is your conception of the role of the neoconservative contingent in and around this administration in the rationale/push for this war, and third question...what thoughts do you have on this community's growing consensus (or public statements, at least) that blame for the negative progress of the war falls to Rumsfeld, to the administration generally and to Bush specifically?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 07:19 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Are you suggesting we start dropping nukes to end the Iraq conflict? Or do you think we should do to the Sunnis insurgents what Saddam did to the Shiite and Kurd insurgents?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 07:59 am
kuvasz wrote:
well, lsm and monte as massegetto/bernard/marion t?

no caps...(the boy has learned to cover his spore)

a familarity with poster setanta remarkable for a poster of a single day.

ditto with a2k software

over a hundred posts within a day

unctuous a$$holiness masked by politeness?

yeah, that's him.

fruitcake.

a familarity with poster setanta isn't difficult with his display of juvenile insults on day 1.
a2k software was it difficult for you?
why do you care how many posts another poster posts? are they on your time clock?
0 Replies