I am an extreme liberal

candidone1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:51 pm
okie wrote:

Has it ever occurred to you that there is something called "reality." Besides, it sounds like you got most of what your ilk wanted, so quit yer complainin. We're all tired of hearing it.

He he, it hasn't even been a month and you're already tired of hearing it.
Welcome to this thing you seem so familiar with--reality. A reality dems have had to deal with for far too many years. Hopefully someone will drive your country a little closer to the middle...a real "uniter".
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 07:57 pm
I was addressing the complainin of plainoldme. I was not even referring to the recent election. Frankly, politicians can do whatever they have to do. Once I've voted for the right people, if they lose, I still have a good life. Besides, your side runs the risk of really screwing things up for your side's chances in 2008. Meanwhile, I don't see much getting done anyway. If I'm wrong, so be it.

By the way, if the rent is too high, move somewhere else. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would like to live in New York, Chicago, or San Francisco anyway.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:03 pm
If I've misunderstood, please correct my assumption that you were referring to the recent election when you said "your ilk got what they wanted...."
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:09 pm
okie wrote:
Besides, your side runs the risk of really screwing things up for your side's chances in 2008. Meanwhile, I don't see much getting done anyway. If I'm wrong, so be it.

You have deceived me all this time.
I did not realize how apathetic you were toward politics.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:12 pm
I was referring to what plainoldme was complaining that she did not get what she wanted. Here is what she said she wanted as a 60's student:

"Left wing students in Michigan wanted to have the same sort of income that our blue collar parents had, which was pretty good. However, we wanted a few more things, like more travel and more books. We also wanted a professional job and intellectual standing. At the same time, both men and women wanted to be actively involved in the raising of our children and the keeping of our homes.

Our solution was for both husband and wife to work part-time in professional jobs and to share equally in childrearing and homekeeping.

We also wanted the merchandising of basic goods to continue as it had, with small shops run by independent owners. We wanted to see a revival of crafts. We wanted to eat good fresh, homemade, seasonal food. "

I simply made the observation that she has no reason to complain, that she probably got most of what she wanted anyhow. And I pointed out that we all want alot of things, but there is something called "reality." As I said, let her go open her own small shop or plant her own fruit trees if that is keeping her from finding fulfillment in life. See what I told you, mysteryman, try reasoning with plainoldme is like beating your head against the wall.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:28 pm
My bad okie.
I apologize for misrepresenting or misinterpreting your statement.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:30 pm
candidone1 wrote:
okie wrote:
Besides, your side runs the risk of really screwing things up for your side's chances in 2008. Meanwhile, I don't see much getting done anyway. If I'm wrong, so be it.

You have deceived me all this time.
I did not realize how apathetic you were toward politics.

No deceit. I think you just misunderstand most conservatives. Our lives do not revolve around politics and "causes" to make us happy.

I am interested in politics, vote, and enjoy debating issues, but at the end of the day, there are other things more important that determine our life. I will do my best to vote for and help the right people into elective office, but I do not march in the streets and dedicate my life to political causes. Frankly, it is not what will make us happy. All of it ends at the grave, and political systems and governments are for this life and will all one day be terminated. Ones own beliefs, faith, family, and personal moral commitments are what fulfill our lives and make us happy.

To sit here and get angry over some injustice in politics or wait for somebody else or government to provide our security and happiness is really a waste of time. Probably debating on this forum is a waste of time to be honest.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:31 pm
candidone1 wrote:
My bad okie.
I apologize for misrepresenting or misinterpreting your statement.

No problem. Have a good evening.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:35 pm
okie wrote:
Probably debating on this forum is a waste of time to be honest.

I often think that, but I have had my fair share of misfortune and this is a means to an end for me.
I once knew a lot and but youthful drug use and a few head and spinal injuries have left me with less capacity/ability to retain or recall information I have at some point in time acquired.

Just here trying to keep my **** quick, as a friend describes it.
Not sure how much good it does though.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:41 pm
If you are being honest, I assume you are, then my sympathies to you are genuine. I do commend you for doing things to try to stay sharp. I know this may sound easy to say if I don't walk in your shoes, but negatives can be turned into positives if you apply patience, faith, and commitment to do the best you can. Wishing you the best.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 10:51 pm
okie wrote:
If you are being honest, I assume you are, then my sympathies to you are genuine. I do commend you for doing things to try to stay sharp. I know this may sound easy to say if I don't walk in your shoes, but negatives can be turned into positives if you apply patience, faith, and commitment to do the best you can. Wishing you the best.

Thanks...I appreciate the kind words.
I am the enduring optimist.
I know that I'll change no one's mind on this site, but I'm here more for my own development than anyone else.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 07:53 am
candidone1 wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
Mystery -- $800/mos. for a very small studio apartment is average in cities like Boston, San Francisco or Chicago. In New York, you couldn't get that studio for under $1,000/mos. unless you had an in with a rent-contolled apartment manager. Not everybody can live in a coal-mining town.

He can't be that smart if he dosn't realize that rents in an coal town in Ky differ drastically from a large metropolitan area.
Unless you want to live near gunshots, rapes, and drug deals, you can't by a 1 bdrm apt here for less than like, 220 grand plus condo fees.
Good luck renting anything for less than about a grand--they exist for less than that, but some man-whore is sucking dick on your lawn for dime.

A 21st century coal mining town is a ghost town in the making.

First off,this area is anything but a "ghost town".
There are several auto parts manufacturers in this town,companies like Rayloc,Trelleborg,Napa,and a few others.
Also,Toyota has a huge plant making trucks in the area,and Honda has announced that they are also going to build a plant in the area.
So as usual,you have expressed your ignorance about this area.

My point about the price of housing was that if you dont like or cant afford where you live,then MOVE.
I realize that those of you that live in the east,from NYC up to and thru the Boston area think that your area is the country,but if you ever get away from your own little area and actually see the country you would realize that there is more then your little part of it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 09:29 am
mysteryman wrote:

I realize that those of you that live in the east,from NYC up to and thru the Boston area think that your area is the country,but if you ever get away from your own little area and actually see the country you would realize that there is more then your little part of it.

You're quite right, Mysteryman. The Northeast is quite different from the rest of the country. I have visited or lived in the majority of the 50 states at one time or another (including Kentucky -- a stint of being stationed at Ft. Knox). I keep coming back to civilization, though. Call me crazy. But this is where it's at. I'll concede that the Luisville Symphony is an acceptable orchestra, but besides that and grass that really is blue, what else has Ky. got? Coal mines and auto parts factories? Why would I possibly want to live in a place like that?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 09:58 am
Rents are high in places like NY and San Francisco because of supply and demand. There are many people who wnat to live there and very litle housing available. I pay $1100 a month for a studio but when I look out my east window, I have a breathtaking view of the city and as far as the Oakland Hills, in my west window, I see the summit of Twin Peaks.

When I drive home form the south as come onto upper Market, I get another breathtaking view of the city. I am surrounded by beauty, vitality, energy and a city that is alive, you can't put a price tag on that.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 07:38 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

You're quite right, Mysteryman. The Northeast is quite different from the rest of the country. I have visited or lived in the majority of the 50 states at one time or another (including Kentucky -- a stint of being stationed at Ft. Knox). I keep coming back to civilization, though. Call me crazy. But this is where it's at. I'll concede that the Luisville Symphony is an acceptable orchestra, but besides that and grass that really is blue, what else has Ky. got? Coal mines and auto parts factories? Why would I possibly want to live in a place like that?

Personally, I would rather do without symphony orchestras than coal mines and auto parts factories. The latter are far more useful and crucial to society.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 07:50 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:

Hah! Been there, done that, Merry. Would you believe getting out of Ft. Knox was the sole reason for an early out, and reupping for, like, just anywhere else?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:27 pm
Know what'cha mean, roger. I think Fort Knox is the reason I eventually became an alcoholic. Boredom and inhumane living conditions. Smile
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 05:44 pm
plainoldme wrote:
okie wrote:

I would prefer we not import so much from China as well, but the truth is that it is a world market and thats just reality. Many Chinese products are in fact made pretty well and improving in my opinion. As a country, we simply cannot withdraw into a shell and survive economically. We must find a way to continue to compete, and that is why the old unions and some tradional ways of doing things will have to be refined, if not abandoned.

What reality? Your buddies in big business have closed almost all American manufacturing! Why not abandon the guys who take American jobs overseas?

BTW -- If you don't like the amount of business that we do with China, you do not shrug your shoulders and accept it, as you have done here. You stand up , like a man and do something, even if that something is to boycott the goods.

You wrote above about me accepting any idealogue that comes along, a preposterous notion. You, however, are bent over double, with your pants around your ankles and in line waiting for you are Big Oil, GM, importers of shoddy goods and more.

And just why is it that you think it is that the union -- a moribund institution -- needs to streamline? The union movement is not at fault for the flooding of the American market with Chinese goods.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 05:46 pm
Mysterman -- $800 is a break for a studio apt in this area. But, I would guess that the price of real estate in Kentucky is very low.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 05:49 pm
mysteryman wrote:

Most of the people that work at the Walmart here are using it as a second income for their family.
The coal mines here pay quite well ,so many of the women working there have husbands working in the mines.
Also,many of the people that work at Walmart here are high school students,still living at home.
So the money they make goes totally into their pockets

You don't see the irony of endorsing second and third jobs for workers when the left knew that families could get buy -- prior to the ruin of the economy -- with two people each working part-time. How are those kids fed? At the MickeyD's drive through?
0 Replies