I am an extreme liberal

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 05:51 pm
mysteryman wrote:

First off,I do have a college degree.
I graduated from SDSU in 1987,while I was in the service.
So,your assumption is,as usual,wrong.

Really? Then act like it!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 05:53 pm
mysteryman wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

You can get oranges in the dead of winter.

As for when oranges ripen,since I have spent 18 years hauling produce from all over the world and from Ca in particular,I know when oranges ripen.
Since they are imported to the US from all over the world,any time of year is "in season" for oranges.

Hey, guess you forgot when oranges are available!

You write things then fail to remember them.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:06 pm
mysteryman wrote:

If you make all of your own clothes,then you have seen a return of crafts.
So what are you complaining about?

As for starving out the farmers,tell me what fresh produce can you get grown locally in your area?
Most of the produce in the US this time of year is grown in either southern Arizona or imported from Mexico.
In spring,the farmers will move back up to the San Joaquin valley of Ca and start growing for the season.

If you didnt care about money then,why are you complaining about it now?

As for traveling now,who says you cant?
The only limits you have are the ones you are placing on yourself.

It may be that you write such stupid non sequitors to get a rise out of me, but, because humor is one of the classic signs of intelligence as is logic, then I can only conclude that you write this tripe because you can not reason and have no sense of humor.

Now, it is not logical to say, as you did, "If you make . . . then you have seen a return of crafts."

You surely could not have missed the reference to the return of crafts as a viable section of the economy.

The formula for pricing craft objects is 3 times the cost of materials. That means that were I to market a wool skirt that I might make, I could not afford to sell it for less than $210 to $280. A quilt would go for $600 - $1,000. At those prices, crafts are not a viable part of the market. Furthermore, no one would argue that what a person makes for their own use counts as a craft revival.

Interestingly, I went to a lecture at Harvard today and bought a cup of coffee at one of the in school cafeterias. Harvard Dining Services has printed flyers explaining why they use foods from local farmers to the extent possible. The currently use apples, potatoes, mushrooms and are working to expand their selections.

As Harvard Dining Services explains, this practice protects the agricultural traditional of the area, supports local business and protects the environment. Their flyer went on to say that most ingredients on the American plate have travelled more than 1,500 miles. New England produce travels less than 250 miles. It is fresher, and, therefore, more nuitritious.

Furthermore, while wide scale organic farming is impractical in the short growing season here in the Northeast -- but, of course, your friends in big business and big oil are making certain that global warming will change that -- all of the farmers now use "intergrated pest management," which is a low pesticide/companion planting system, often bolstered by the use of green manures or compost.

According to Jim Wilson, owner of Wilson's farm, the commercial farm nearest to me (four miles away), thanks to compost, he has more soil and better soil than did his great-grandfather who established the farm.

I bought a red cabbage from a small scale farmer in a town 20 miles to the west. I bet it was picked that morning: it was the best cabbage I have ever eaten. I would guess from looking at your defense of agribusiness that you and yours do not eat well.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:11 pm
okie wrote:
I was addressing the complainin of plainoldme. I was not even referring to the recent election. Frankly, politicians can do whatever they have to do. Once I've voted for the right people, if they lose, I still have a good life. Besides, your side runs the risk of really screwing things up for your side's chances in 2008. Meanwhile, I don't see much getting done anyway. If I'm wrong, so be it.

By the way, if the rent is too high, move somewhere else. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would like to live in New York, Chicago, or San Francisco anyway.

As an English teacher, I give this twadle a D. Lacks unity, coherence and logic.

BTW -- We have addressed the matter of moving before. There are lots of reasons for not moving. One is expense. Another is living in some hick town where the only store is Walmart, so you can only shop by mail order or on vacation (haven't had a vacation since 1997!). Boston has early music, folk music, a great symphony orchestra, live theatre, ballet, wonderful libraries, universities with free lectures, like the one I attended tonight and so much more. Could I go to a pottery school to buy Christmas presents in Dubuque? Probably not. Is there a great independent bookstore in Kentucky, where MM lives? No.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:12 pm
candidone1 wrote:
okie wrote:
Besides, your side runs the risk of really screwing things up for your side's chances in 2008. Meanwhile, I don't see much getting done anyway. If I'm wrong, so be it.

You have deceived me all this time.
I did not realize how apathetic you were toward politics.

Surprise! Surprise!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:16 pm
okie wrote:

I simply made the observation that she has no reason to complain, that she probably got most of what she wanted anyhow. And I pointed out that we all want alot of things, but there is something called "reality." As I said, let her go open her own small shop or plant her own fruit trees if that is keeping her from finding fulfillment in life. See what I told you, mysteryman, try reasoning with plainoldme is like beating your head against the wall.

Right. When I talked with my father and brothers on Thanksgiving Day, they told me how upset they were that Macy's bought out Marshall-Field's which bought out Dayton which bought out Detroit's venerable JL Hudson Co. We all talked about how we missed the real star, Jacobson's.

You know nothing of reality. Reality involves being a man, not rolling over and playing dead.

You aren't even talking to MysteryMan but to candidone! You are so simple that you can not keep your own writing in your head.

You know, this was a nice thread until you and MM appeared. Tell me, are you one and the same, in the way that MortCat is massagatto, et al?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:18 pm
okie wrote:

I am interested in politics, vote, and enjoy debating issues, but at the end of the day, there are other things more important that determine our life. I will do my best to vote for and help the right people into elective office, but I do not march in the streets and dedicate my life to political causes. Frankly, it is not what will make us happy. All of it ends at the grave, and political systems and governments are for this life and will all one day be terminated. Ones own beliefs, faith, family, and personal moral commitments are what fulfill our lives and make us happy.

To sit here and get angry over some injustice in politics or wait for somebody else or government to provide our security and happiness is really a waste of time. Probably debating on this forum is a waste of time to be honest.

Hey, you're the one with your pants around your ankles, accepting Chinese merchandise and voting for demons like bush. Besides, I bet you haven't read a book since Dick and Jane.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:21 pm
mysteryman wrote:

My point about the price of housing was that if you dont like or cant afford where you live,then MOVE.
I realize that those of you that live in the east,from NYC up to and thru the Boston area think that your area is the country,but if you ever get away from your own little area and actually see the country you would realize that there is more then your little part of it.

Well, as a 30 year old friend of my daughter said a few years back, there are a couple of places like Boston and Chicago but the rest of the country is Nashua, NH. It is.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:23 pm
okie wrote:

Personally, I would rather do without symphony orchestras than coal mines and auto parts factories. The latter are far more useful and crucial to society.

Hey, beauty is as beauty does . . . or enjoys. Its a good thing you are not running the schools!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:29 pm
pom, You're on a roll, and they're giving me smiles and pleasure. Keep it up; I'm on "your" side.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:33 pm
Thanks, ci. It's easy when they keep giving me these volleys to swat back! What a hoot! MM and okie think they know reality. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:35 pm
Well, they do; in that we all construct our own realities and see what we want to see. The mind is amazingly good at denying that which it doesn't want to accept.

I think the best point you have made was in the fact that it takes twice the work to get the same amount of money for families as it did in the sixties... people don't realize just how large inflation has gotten.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 07:07 pm
It takes an amazing amount of money to accomplish normalcy these days.

When I think of my parents running a house with four kids on around $10,000 a year, I am amazed.

My mother didn't drive until I was 10 or so. Because commerce was human scaled in the 1950s and 60s, we really didn't need a second car or a second driver. We could walk to the grocer, really, a butcher who sold incredible meat -- the sort sold at Whole Foods today -- as well as groceries. Father and son and their wives all worked together. We all knew everyone's names. The bakery was next door and the deli two doors down. The drugstore with soda fountain was on the opposite corner. The bookmobile pulled up there every Monday and at the public school at the end of the street every Thursday.

When I was in college (1965-69) and girls were not allowed to wear slacks, I horrified my mother by buying wool skirts for $12 each and matching sweaters for $6. A nicely tailored wool jacket ran $18-20.

When I was 25, my then boyfriend and had dinner -- no wine but with a cocktail before -- that was $12. The food was overcooked and we felt we had paid a far too much. That reminds me of a project a friend of mine is toying with. He's thinking of writing a book on what he calls the "golden age of Boston restaurants" which was before credit cards. He's convinced that credit cards have destroyed the economy.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 08:35 pm
CowDoc wrote:
but I personally doubt if a whole lot will change.

I hope you're right. A gridlocked government is the exact government we need.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 08:36 pm
plainoldme wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

First off,I do have a college degree.
I graduated from SDSU in 1987,while I was in the service.
So,your assumption is,as usual,wrong.

Really? Then act like it!

He must have flunked punctuation.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 10:02 pm
plainoldme wrote:

It may be that you write such stupid non sequitors to get a rise out of me, but, because humor is one of the classic signs of intelligence as is logic, then I can only conclude that you write this tripe because you can not reason and have no sense of humor.

pom, you crack me up. I don't think you are trying to be humorous, however, so I guess that does not look good for your intelligence meter? Does unintended humor count as intelligence? I would doubt it, so its not looking good for you.

Am I reading you correctly, you suspect MM writes "non sequitors" to get a rise out of you, in other words, humor, and you indicate humor is a "classic sign of intelligence," but then you conclude he has no sense of humor and therefore no intelligence. Your logic is confusing, pom, which also does not bode well for your intelligence meter, according to you, the expert on intelligence. You don't seem to follow your own logic, which should be so clear to everybody, especially yourself.

But I really must compliment you on your excellent writings concerning agriculture, showing you to be one of the foremost agricultural experts that I've ever encountered, and to think it would be on this forum, what a pleasant surprise. I was barely able to digest all the agricultural knowledge you imparted, when I started to consider the insights you offered into crafts, and this was so spectacular, pom. As cicerone imposter said, you ARE ON A ROLL.

I am sure glad you told me that crafts are no longer practical. I have been fooled for years now, and to think this hick town could have something that your elite area apparently does not have? You have told me I cannot comprehend things well, so I guess you must be right, when I saw all those signs advertising "Craft Show" on banners and signs at the park and lots of other places around here, it was probably a hoax. I saw some of the most spectacular quilts, handmade toys, paintings, wood sculptures and crafts, metal engravings and signs, you name it, and to think those people claimed they were made in places like Missouri, Oklahoma, yes mostly hick towns, I WAS PROBABLY DUPED. They were probably made in China, you have to be right, pom, because you went to college, and I live in hicksville, USA. And I think coal mines and auto parts stores are cool. How sad. If only I could be educated like you.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 04:48 pm
okie -- No. You once again have demonstrated that you can not follow a thread. People often attempt to make others angry because anger in others tickles their sense of humor. Of course, this is not a healthy sense of humor. But, humor does not have to be healthy or tasteful to indicate intelligence.

And, yes, humor is one of the classic signs of intelligence.

I have never seen MM attempt humor. When you attempt humor, it always falls flat. You end up having people rush to your aid to explain things to you.

As for your crack up, consider that you sound a little like the kid with the buck teeth who is always put at the back of the room.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 04:50 pm
okie wrote:

Personally, I would rather do without symphony orchestras than coal mines and auto parts factories. The latter are far more useful and crucial to society.

Does anyone remember the term of disdain, "the great unwashed?"
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 04:52 pm
okie -- The fact that crafts are set apart in a show says it all. They should be in our retail stores.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 08:59 pm
They are.
0 Replies