Soup! (inspired by ehbeth and edgar)

Rockhead

Fri 11 Nov, 2011 09:43 pm
@ehBeth,
cool. I picked up a slab of chicken breasts the other day. haven't got them bagged and frozen yet...

kinda had missy's soup in mind whilst I was shopping. hence the rotel.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 2 Mar, 2012 11:33 am
Some cooking websites are hosting their second annual SoupaPalooza. Enter yours for a chance to win.

For inspiration, check out the more than 250 soup recipes from last year's contest here (scroll down to the index of recipes):

http://tidymom.net/2011/chicken-tortilla-soup-recipe/

or the current list of 200+ soup recipes for this year's contest (scroll down to the index of recipes):

http://dineanddish.net/2012/02/2nd-annual-soupapalooza-linkup-and-giveaways/
joefromchicago

Fri 2 Mar, 2012 12:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
Looks great! Thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 22 Apr, 2012 09:08 am
I'm looking for a new recipe for potato leek soup - any tried and tested favourites to suggest/share?

I'm planning to throw in some asparagus at the end ... so if that changes the herbs you'd recommend ....
farmerman

Sun 22 Apr, 2012 10:01 am
@ehBeth,
asparagus imparts a sulfury taste so Im not sure cause so do leeks. Maybe just more pepper and butter

and of course..............................

BACON!!!
tsarstepan

Tue 10 Dec, 2019 11:25 am
@farmerman,
InfraBlue

Tue 10 Dec, 2019 03:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
mark
0 Replies

ekename

Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I'm looking for a new recipe for potato leek soup - any tried and tested favourites to suggest/share?

Quote:
farmerman

BACON!!!

If I had a rasher of bacon for every time that farmerman has mentioned bacon I'd have enough for vichyssoise, glitterbag's spanakopita and breakfast at sweethearts every night.

Lamb and veggies is my fave.

farmerman

Thu 12 Dec, 2019 01:25 am
@ekename,
bacon is cooking's equivalent of duck tape.

Of course, I admit that our North American style bacon (which is smoked and brined pork belly) v its Italian cousin Pancetta , do have obvious differences which define their uses in various soups.

Since Pancetta isnt smoked its flavor is totally derived from the cured meat, and its the BEST form for stuff like soups and sauces that call themselves "Carbonara" (Italian wedding soup, or Penne Carbonara).

Weve tried recipes for carbonara Penne using reglar bacon and the sauce's delicacy is overpowered by the smokiness of bacon, whereas Pancetta is ideal .

However, if yall are makin a bean,bacon, and tmater soup, its gotta b a smoky thick cut bacon. Collard soup is good but that uses a ham hock, not bacon.

Bacon and Pancetta impart unique flavors to their soups .For most soups (like bacon for New England v pancetta for Maryland Italian style chowders).

Just as long as its belly bacon and not that high hog offal that the English call bacon and like to at for breakfast. Thats more like our Virginia Hams, too salty to eat off the butt without water purging the salt out of it
ekename

Thu 12 Dec, 2019 01:50 am
@farmerman,

To chuck a duct tape of bacon in is how the universe contem plates soupçon.

0 Replies