um um good

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:10 pm
Campbell Soup Co. was the only member of the S&P 500 that escaped the sell-off Monday. While the market nose-dived yesterday, Campbell's shares (symbol CPB) rose 0.3 percent, or 12 cents, on Monday, to close at $37.75
By no means is this stock shooting out the lights, but it's up 23 percent since mid-January and has been on a steady climb since July. The company"which is also responsible for Pepperidge Farm, Pace salsas, and V8"announced last week that it's increasing its quarterly dividend by 14 percent, to 25 cents a share.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:16 pm
@dyslexia,
Some of their soup tastes pretty good. Never use the other stuff. I think that can of minestrone I ate during the storm put them over.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hardly ever eat canned soups, edgar, but my vast consumption of Pepperidge Farm cookies and crackers and occasional sip of V8 surely must account, in part, for the surge in Campell's stock.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:25 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I've got an alphabet I have yet to open.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Gram is keepin' Broccoli cheese sales afloat...

(but bitchin' that every time we shop, it goes up)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:34 pm
@dyslexia,
I recently stocked up on their Healthy Request variety of soups, and Clam Chowder. Like to have the shelves full when the winter storms kick in.

I'm a flyer-rat for that stuff.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:39 pm
@dyslexia,
buy Spam

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=HRL

http://www.lattaplantation.org/sugarpop/images/spam.gif
Hormel was up today, selling within 10% of it's 52-week low. But, if you buy it you have to post a Spam recipe. http://www.lattaplantation.org/sugarpop/html/chicken_fried_spam.html

On second thought... wait a couple weeks. It has a lot of upside on the market but it's gonna take folks a few weeks to start buying the product.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:28 pm
@JPB,
Make sure the can doesn't say "Made in China."
roger

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yikes! And if it says made in the USA, maybe that just means the can.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:43 pm
@dyslexia,
Hmmm, maybe people are betting on basements full of canned goods and ammunition as the biggest investment for this coming year.

I wonder if gun manufacturers are seeing an increase in investment as well.

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 03:15 am
@rosborne979,
Used to eat Campbell's tomato soup all the time replete with oyster crackers. Reminds me of Andy Warhol. I could do the campbell soup art, but decided on this one in honor of the impending pumpkin day.

http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2007/07/05/halloween_Kids_Costumes_w609.jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 03:45 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Hmmm, maybe people are betting on basements full of canned goods and ammunition as the biggest investment for this coming year.

I wonder if gun manufacturers are seeing an increase in investment as well.

that would be a pretty safe bet in America
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 06:06 am
those campbell soup microwave cans are a stroke of genius...hungry for just a little something something? Put down the chips and microwave a can of creamy tomato in 90 seconds. Drink it down, throw away the little mic safe can...you're done. Buck a can. Perfect.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 08:46 am
@dyslexia,
I don't buy much canned soups but I love Cambell's Italian Wedding Soup.

BBB
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 08:51 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I do too, but only the low salt version, which is not THAT low. Ever take a look at the sodium content of Campbell's regular soups????
kickycan

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 03:40 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I love salt, but even I think Campbell's soups are too salty.

But those little ones that BPB mentioned sound like a good idea for a budget-conscious guy like me. Thanks for the tip, BPB.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 03:43 pm
@kickycan,
There are low salt Campbell soups.
0 Replies

TilleyWink

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 04:44 pm
@dyslexia,
A good friend of mine who worked for Nabisco told me once that they did very well in the "bib" depression because people will always eat and buy saltines and shredded wheat.
0 Replies