Soup! (inspired by ehbeth and edgar)

mushypancakes

Sat 20 Oct, 2007 02:38 pm
Hmm, stole Mame's idea and added my own thang. It turned out good. Real good and healthy too. Just took what needed to be eaten out of the fridge.

Fried up a bunch of baby bok choy, carrots, lots of garlic, leftover chicken breast. Lots of pepper. Leftover spaghetti squash.
Added chicken broth and simmered.

Yeah, I use my wok to make soup now. I heart my wok.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 20 Oct, 2007 05:46 pm
What a wunnerful thread this is...

I'm copying and pasting like a madman - me and Cheryl like to experiment w/recipes, and we WILL be tryin a buncha these. Thanx to all...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sat 20 Oct, 2007 06:21 pm
Here are a couple good ones that I've made in the past:

Zuppa Toscana

4 Links Turkey Sausage (Spicy or Mild)
1 Medium Onion, Finely Diced
3 Strips Of Bacon, Chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled And Minced
2 Medium Potatoes. Peeled And Cut Into Large Dice
2 to 3 Cups Of Chopped Greens (I used Kale)
Salt & Pepper To Taste
¼ Cup Heavy Cream (I used non-fat evaporated milk)
4 Cups Chicken Broth

Parmesan Cheese To Serve

Cook the bacon in a heavy pan until crisp. Remove to another dish, leaving the bacon fat in the pan. Add the sausage links, and cook over medium heat until browned well on all sides. Add ½ cup of water, cover, and cook another 10 minutes over medium low heat or until completely cooked. Remove the sausages to a plate, and cook the onions in the same pan until translucent. Add the garlic, and cook another minute or two.

In a large soup or stockpot, add the chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium low. Cut the sausage links into ½ inch sklices, and then add these to the stockpot. Cook for 10 minutes and then add the kale and bacon. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer another 10 minutes.

Remove a little of the potato from the pot, and place it in a bowl. Mash the potato together with the cream, and then add this mixture to the pot, mixing well. Serve hot, offering a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese if desired.

Here's a hip-pocket potato soup that I frequently make. I don't measure so only provide estimates.

One of my favorite soups to make is made with potatoes, leeks and onions.

I fry up a couple strips of bacon, toss in several sliced up leeks and onions (use the entire leek), add a few sliced garlic cloves, 6 diced potatoes and a cup each of water and salt-free chicken stock with a slice of lemon peel. Cook until vegetables are tender, add 1 can of condensed skim milk, a dash of nutmeg, pepper, thyme, rosemary and a squeeze of lemon (sometimes I add a dash of curry). I either eat as is, or blend it with a hand blender for a few seconds. For variations, I sometimes add diced ham or carrots to the soup.
0 Replies

JPB

Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:35 am
@joefromchicago,
Going shopping for stone soup ingredients, joe. It's that time of year!
joefromchicago

Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:18 am
@JPB,
Ah, that reminds me. I was thinking about going back to the local butcher shop in my old neighborhood and picking up some hot Hungarian sausage -- not Portuguese linguiça, but still perfect for Portuguese stone soup.
Butrflynet

Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:21 am
I made a big pot of soup a few days ago. Fried up a couple boneless pork chops and then cubed the meat. In the meantime, I filled a big pot with water and stewed the usual soup veggies of carrots, onions, celery and potato chunks. Added the cubed pork and a teaspoon each of chicken soup base and beef soup base. Threw in a bunch of herbs including thyme, sage, rosemary, bay leaf, marjoram, and a couple handfuls of barley pearls. Also added some whole allspice, a couple cloves and some peppercorns, garlic, dried lemon peel, a bit of fresh ginger and a tablespoon of A-1 sauce.

Over the next couple of days I ate most of the meat and veggies from the soup. The broth is so good that today I'm using the leftover broth to make a rice pilaf.
0 Replies

JPB

Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:47 am
@joefromchicago,
I actually found savoy cabbage this time. It's going to smell mighty good in here tomorrow.
mismi

Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:55 am
@JPB,
Hey JPB!

I made black bean soup last night..saute'd onions, green and red peppers, rinsed my beans, added cumin, oregano and a little red pepper....a cup and some of chicken broth...monterey jack on the top when I served
0 Replies

Swimpy

Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:55 am
@JPB,
So glad you revived this thread, J. I recently made some roasted tomato soup. I still have tomatoes that need to be saved, so I'll be making more of this. Today I'm making turkey chili in the crockpot. (That's soup, right?)
jespah

Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:47 am
@Swimpy,
This week's go-to meal is going to be chicken soup avec matzoh balls. The soup will be made in the slow cooker so the matzoh balls will need to be cooked somehow. Hmm. Maybe I'll just boil them in plain water and keep 'em for later?
mismi

Sat 18 Oct, 2008 12:50 pm
@jespah,
I am thinking that Santa Fe soup might be good...

lots of beans hamburger meat taco seasoning...corn, can of petite diced tomatoes...with some tortilla chips. and sour cream, and cheese...

I love soup season
Rockhead

Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:05 pm
@mismi,
I'm chopping Kielbasa for corn chowder...

(got the celery and onions simmering already)
0 Replies

JPB

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 05:24 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

BARLEY SOUP WITH HAM

From the internet. This is about the only recipe that I make on a regular basis that uses allspice -- I'm usually not a big fan of it, but it tastes great in this soup.

3 tb vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
3/4 cup pearl barley
6 cups chicken broth
1 sm bay leaf
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 c diced smoked ham
3 tb butter
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
3 tsp lemon juice
1 tb fresh parsley leaves, minced

Heat oil and saute onions, celery, and carrots until softened, about 5 minutes. Raise heat to medium, stir in the garlic and saute for one more minute. Add the barley, broth, bay leaf, and allspice. Bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for about one hour, or until the barley is tender. (The soup may be prepared in advance to this point.)

Stir the ham into the piping hot soup and let simmer while you prepare the mushrooms. Heat the butter in a small skillet, add the mushrooms and lemon juice, and stir-cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Add the mushroom mixture to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Discard the bay leaf. Season the soup with salt and freshly- ground pepper to taste. Ladle into warmed bowls and serve immediately.

Dinner tonight!
mismi

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 05:32 pm
@JPB,
That sounds good JPB - I am still in a fiesta mood apparently -

I am making Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 cans chicken broth
1 can rotel tomatoes

1/2 onion
2 breasts of chicken chopped into cubes
(saute in butter )
2 cloves garlic - add and saute last

add broth and tomatoes and hot sauce to taste

chop corn tortillas into small (1 inch) squares - saute in butter until they are light brown and crisp...

spoon soup into bowls add crispy tortillas to the top -
you can add cheese if you like.

spicy - opens up the nasal passages
0 Replies

JPB

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 06:13 pm
Hi Mis!

I love chicken tortilla soup.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Sun 3 Jan, 2010 02:24 pm
It's time to wake up this thread. I've created a roasted cauliflower soup that I love. (I worship at the alter of the roasted vegetable.) The first time I made it, I just used the standard onions, carrots and celery base, cooked in some olive oil to soften. Then used a half veg/half chicken broth mix to finish cooking the mire poix (listen to me!) To the liquid, I added a couple of potatoes.

In the meantime I roasted the cauliflower pieces in the oven until is was golden brown, almost burnt but not quite.

When the potatoes were completely cooked, I blitzed the soup stock with stick blender. (You could use a regular blender.)

I added the cauliflower to the soup stock and cooked for another 15 minutes or so. So good. The broth takes on this silky golden quality.

Today I used fennel instead of the celery and I'm doing it in the crockpot. It smells incredible in here.
JPB

Sun 3 Jan, 2010 02:41 pm
@Swimpy,
I was just coming back to this thread to link it to osso's barley thread. There are a couple barley soups in here that I like.

I'm doing a variation of the ham and barley soup tonight.
Swimpy

Sun 3 Jan, 2010 02:42 pm
@JPB,
Great minds think alike, JB
ossobuco

Sun 3 Jan, 2010 02:43 pm
@Swimpy,
: )
0 Replies

Swimpy

Sun 3 Jan, 2010 02:56 pm
@Swimpy,
Quote:
It's time to wake up this thread. I've created a roasted cauliflower soup that I love. (I worship at the alter of the roasted vegetable.) The first time I made it, I just used the standard onions, carrots and celery base, cooked in some olive oil to soften. Then used a half veg/half chicken broth mix to finish cooking the mire poix (listen to me!) To the liquid, I added a couple of potatoes.

In the meantime I roasted the cauliflower pieces in the oven until is was golden brown, almost burnt but not quite.

When the potatoes were completely cooked, I blitzed the soup stock with stick blender. (You could use a regular blender.)

I added the cauliflower to the soup stock and cooked for another 15 minutes or so. So good. The broth takes on this silky golden quality.

Today I used fennel instead of the celery and I'm doing it in the crockpot. It smells incredible in here.

I looked back and the last time I made this I added garlic, curry and cumin. JPB has inspired me with the allspice. Unfortunately, I don't have any. I'll add some nutmeg and see what happens.