HOT MONKEY SEX

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 03:15 pm
Rg suggests that we start a new thread instead of reviving old ones, and he did say that titles are often the most difficult element of a successful thread. Well, now that Ive got your attention, does anyone hqve a good recipe for a coconut chicken broth soup ith Thai veggies.
I had lunch at a Thai place in the city yesterday and was amazed at the flavor of thos soup. Its sweetish, spicy, chickeny, coconutty and with an ample load of the veggies
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,891 • Replies: 26
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by farmerman
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 03:23 pm
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo27/sandisk4life/ANIMALS/funny_monkey.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 03:27 pm
@farmerman,
Maybe - I'll look at my files and some places I like online.
ossobuco
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 04:41 pm
@ossobuco,
OK, I've started looking.
found a bunch, will just give links

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13161/tom-ka-gai-coconut-chicken-soup/
http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisnacks/r/TomKaKaisoup.htm
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/thai-coconut-chicken-soup-recipe.html
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/tom-kha-gai-chicken-coconut-soup
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/thai-chicken-coconut-soup-tom-kha-gai

Well, that's a start - I looked under this - thai chicken soup with coconut milk (tom ka gai) and there are pages and pages of recipes to be googled.

Adds, there are a whole world of thai chicken recipes, some even in my files, but I didn't have much on soup.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 04:58 pm
@ossobuco,
thank you. The second one with galanga is like the one I had (except the veggies were a bit different and I suppose thats a chef's choice anyway).
The basis of the soups "structure was the tastes Id see in the recipe.)
Turmeric just popped into my head as there was a verry verry slight hint of it and there was an "off white color'

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 05:28 pm
@farmerman,
I'm a turmeric fan myself, and not just because I read it is considered good for you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 05:31 pm
@farmerman,
I'm a turmeric fan myself, and not just because I read it is considered good for you.

There may be ten more pages of recipes under that description (or else they devolve into other stuff) - but possibly more clues re the veggies.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 07:12 pm
@farmerman,
i can't give you specifics but I know it's a mix of cut up chicken pieces, (no skin), chicken broth and coconut milk...turmeric, cut up ginger root, green onion (diced), cayenne, fish sauce, lime juice, cut up scallion, lemon grass....cut up veggies.

I try to have that as soon as I feel like I have a cold or congestion. I take it for as long as I have the cold. It shortens the duration and intensity.
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 07:25 am
@ossobuco,
Im sorry , Ive taken a leave of mymanners. I hereby award you the coveted red dot . Use it wisely .

The recipes that you posted seem to surround what II recall, except , I believe the restaurant uses a chicken BROTH as well.

The veggies we have in our local Thai food translations, include all sorts of m,arket MUSHROOMS (This is, after all, the mushroom capital of the WORLD)

mwa ha ha haaa
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 07:26 am
@Ragman,
I agree with the addition of a chicken broth. I think Ive got the start of a good base for this soup. Of course, we had a "Thai spicy" version which may be way too hot for our Pa Dutch friends and relatives
Ragman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 07:55 am
@farmerman,
I often make my broth using no-MSG or vegetarian lower sodium box-o-broth. then I add in those pink Himalayan salts. I laugh every time I add pink salt to anything...but it does does taste good and the added bonus is it matches the color of my eyes.

I'm a Thai fan..and tend to prefer my spicy towards muy caliente. I liked it even hotter when I was in my youth, but at 65...I've moderated.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 07:55 am
@farmerman,
A red dot? I think I've only gotten one before this. Oh, my, I'll wrap it in foil and put it in the freezer..

All this reminds me of our neighborhood in Venice, CA. Three Thai food restaurants within as many blocks.. the best one being named East Wind (well, back then).
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 07:56 am
@Ragman,
still, it is another dimension that enhances the flavor notes.
Did that sound like Alton Brown?)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 08:06 am
@ossobuco,
reataurants are like farts. They blast their preswenxe on us and then drift away. Some of the best reaturants Ive eaten in qere not generational establishments. My very favorite US restaurant was a small prix fixe place in Kennett Square Pa.
The chefs ideas were the mainstay and people came and loved the food. The menu was very limited nd you hdda be adventurous because you got what HE LIKED.

He prepared a seared veal chop on a bed of caramalized onions served with various mashed taters (like horseradish or "ramp") and his gravies or sauces were many days in the extraction.(Like a red beet reduction)
That retaurant was getting to be a regular wednesday meal for us and then BOOM-he decided to take an offer to be an exec chef for q cruise line out of Norway
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 08:26 am
@farmerman,
Oh, that's a sorrowful tale there, and I'm only partly kidding.

Because our friend Harvey needed help getting around the city, my husband would drive (I don't ever drive at night) and together we covered the Los Angeles metropolitan area and beyond - beyond being to go to Hanford, CA to the great chinese cook's restaurant, Imperial Dynasty (he was the chef for a big wig, George Marshal, I think. Hanford's up by Fresno). We did this for quite a few years. A lot of of restaurant visits were to little holes in the walls... This was before Jonathan Gold's columns that had a similar mode of interests. We also did the good and sometimes adventurous chefs' places in LA, but far less often. Hey, I miss all that!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 11:09 am
@farmerman,
Have you tried the Tyler Florence version ossoB linked? it looks the most like the Tom Kha base I like.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 11:27 am
@ehBeth,
I just remembered the great chinese chef's name - Richard Wing. He was the chef, and his brother Robert handled the wine cellar. I remember that Richard worked in France for a while, but not the details re his training.

On the recipe, I preferred Tyler Florence's too. I've learned to like his recipes over the years.
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 11:28 am
@ehBeth,
Im not sure which one that is. I sorta got freaked a bit at the web site that lited itself as Tom KaKa soup
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 11:31 am
@farmerman,
The third on the list..

I had just taken them in google's order at the time.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 01:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I just remembered the great Chinese chef's name - Richard Wing.

Is he the the wight wing or the wong wing?

I guess it's all OK as long as he's not a right winger