String up the dasdardly murdering villian

the prince

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 06:36 am
When I was very yng (arnd 12) I was attacked by wasps whose nest I had unknowingly disturbed. I got abt 5 stings on my face and neck. Since then, I have a pathological fear of all things that sting....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 03:11 am
I used to hate bugs, until I had to do an insect collection for uni. Now I've got a grudging respect for them and I won't kill them if I don't have to.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 05:54 am
I agree. Our first house had not only honey bees in the wall but bats in the attic. 39 bats. I counted them coming out one evening. But the bees were in my son's bedroom wall. We didn't bother them they didn't bother us. One night after my son had gone to bed he reappeared and told me the bees were acting funny. When I went upstairshis bedroom window was covered inside and out with them. Obviously a new queen was in the nest and they were preparing to start a new nest. I told him to find another room for the night. Then I went over to the window and after brushing some bees aside gently and slowly raised the window to allow the inside ones an easy exit. Bees were walking over my hand as I did it. No stings.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 08:11 am
Bob...;
Now that you mention it; maybe that is the answer to the worlds problems;
When a species is deep in the throws of sexual ecstasy, NO agression!
Pity there's no way on this planet, that could apply to "W"ya and the boys! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 10:12 am
Boogie on, BBB! Didn't know that about your name. Very cool.

Bats! I like bats in theory, NOT when they are zipping around my livingroom! (Happened a couple of times...) That's true of lots of creepy-crawlies. I like them in a zoo situation, for example (have held tarantulas, Madagascar hissing cockraoches and the like as a zoo employee with no compunction), but when they appear out of nowhere in my house, that's different.

Last week or so I saw a great big hairy spider in my kitchen. I got out my spider book and figured out that it was a type of jumping spider. Harmless, but great big hairy and JUMPING. Still, let it be.

Then it appeared in the sozlet's room. Consulted the book again -- yep, definitely the great big hairy jumping spider, definitely harmless. Examined it at close range while confirming that it was great big hairy and jumping but harmless. It looked back at me with largish spider eyes and waved its front legs around. I said "I'll let you stay, but you BETTER not do anything to my kid. Got it?" Triple checked book. Left it.

Next day, E.G. came in and breathlessly said he'd saved the sozlet from a great big hairy wolf spider. Sad I explained. I felt inexplicably sad that the poor spider was squashed.

A day after that, E.G. went to the library with the sozlet and came back with "Be Nice to Spiders." Smile

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0060220732.01._PE_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 02:18 pm
Even spiders can martyr themselves for a better "spider" future!
0 Replies