String up the dasdardly murdering villian

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 05:11 pm
String up the dastardly murdering villain ---BumbleBeeBoogie

Shoplifter Releases Bees As Diversion
Posted on Fri, Jun. 13, 2003 - Associated Press

SEDALIA, Mo. - A shoplifter caused a buzz in a department store restroom and made off with about $60 worth of CDs, perfume, batteries and scissors.

The man released a swarm of honeybees in a Kmart restroom, creating a diversion that allowed him to escape, authorities said.

Store security spotted the man shoplifting Monday and followed him to the restroom to confront him. When the worker opened the door, about 100 bees buzzed out.

"He probably started yelling 'Bees! Bees!' or whatever the case may be, then created that big diversion, then got out," said police Cmdr. John DeGonia.

Store employees pulled cans of bug spray off store shelves to kill the bees. No one was stung.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,230 • Replies: 45
No top replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 12:00 am
Bumble; I think it would have to be considered simplistic to say "no one was 'stung' "!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:31 am
The intense fear of being stung is one of the most unusual human characteristics imaginable.

Sure it hurts -- stings for a second of two -- but unless one is truly allergic to a bee sting, some of the reactions to the presence of a bee is way, way out there.

Car crashes have been caused trying to escape a bee sting!

Gimme a break!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:22 am
agreed Frank; and the fact is, unless one has just acidentally (or intentionally) wiped out a bee hive, the best thing to do is ignore them (with a little "conscious" ignoring being advised = don't sit on them, etc.) , and they will ignore you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:28 am
Well, I am one of the many folk who are truly likely to die if stung by that most deadly of animals (TRUE!) the honeybee, and let me tell you, I would run if bees were released near me.

The allergy to their stings makes them the deadliest of animals - not their fault, I know - but it is a danger reasonably well known, and ought to render the actions of this thief fairly high up there on the noxious scale!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:50 am
Tell you a quick story:

I was cleaning up under our deck a few years back -- in shorts, striped to the waist. Picked up a roll of old foam that had been used at one time to batten the hot tub. It was a big roll -- and I lifted it with one area directly in contact with my chest.

I felt a burning sensation -- and thought what it was unusual for something under the deck to have retained so much heat from the day. I put it down and discovered that it had become a Yellowjacket nest.

I had perhaps 20 - 25 stings -- and one hell of a lot of very angry bees trying to get in their licks.

Well- I hied it out of there -- and took to the shower.

No after effects!

As Bo says, You gotta just give them space.

You gotta treat 'em respectfully, but the terror I sometimes see exhibited is really uncalled for.

dlowan

From what you say, that encounter of mine would not have ended as well if you had been the stingee.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:00 pm
Exactly Frank; except the honey bee, bumble bee, and common wasp (or yellow jacket) are all different species (even though all are "hymenoptera"), and are differently equipped; only the bees have stingers that remain inserted, and carry a much larger dose of the "venom" that causes alergic reaction.
However dlowen; don't trust my erratic memory on this subject, stay away from all of them!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:08 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
The intense fear of being stung is one of the most unusual human characteristics imaginable.

Sure it hurts -- stings for a second of two -- but unless one is truly allergic to a bee sting, some of the reactions to the presence of a bee is way, way out there.

Gimme a break!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:10 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

Gimme a break!

I agree, unless of course a person is allergic to bees. I can't count the people I know who flip out when a bee comes near them. My mother starts swinging her arms at them and I keep telling her that by doing that, she's just asking to be stung. She thinks I'm crazy because I don't go running when a bee comes near me, LOL! I haven't been stung my a bee since I was a little kid and I only got stung because I was messing with a bees nest. Never did that again. I don't panic if a bee gets in my car. I calmly pull over and guide it out the window.

Now spiders are a whole different ballgame for me, just so no one will think I'm trying to be some kind of macho chick. Spiders creep me right out!!!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:18 pm
Montana; as I've said before, hopefully on some other thread, the spider is one of the best friends you can have since they are insect predators, and an ample supply in your home will be your best insurance against more harmful infestations. However to get used to them the best method is to get very large "blow-ups" of them where their inherent beauty is more evident. And like the bees, leave them alone, and they will guard your corners and crevices quite politely. (Likewise "house centipedes")
And believe me, growing to like spiders is, in no way, "macho"!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:23 pm
Bumblebee Economics
One of my all-time favorite books is Bumblebee Economics by Bernd Heinrich. It's a wonderful read.

Apparently my hard back cover copy is worth a lot of money. The book is out of print and Amazon has some used copies starting at $170.

---BumbleBeeBoogie

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0674085809/qid=1055618221/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-9864614-6380813?v=glance&s=books
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:36 pm
Heh, the thief sure boogied out of the store with all his loot!
That was pretty creative (though I wonder if he could be up for a reckless endangerment charge) ...

Say, BBB, how did you get your avatar name?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:55 pm
CodeBorg
CodeBorg, "Aerodynamically, it's impossible for the BumbleBee to fly because of the shape and size of its body in relationship to it's wing span, but the BumbleBee doesn't know this and it flies anyway."

I adopted the Bumble Bee totem in the mid-70s during the women's movement. It also represents my struggle to overcome physical disabilities. I was an athlete until age 36, when I suffered a severe knee injury playing in a volleyball league. I was in body cast for several months trying to repair a torn cartilage, but it didn't work. Knee surgery at that time was super major and the outcome wasn't always good. I finally had a total knee replacement in 1980, which failed, and was not correctable. The Bumble Bee represents my efforts to continue to live as fully as I can despite my disabilities. My Bumble Bee boogies, because that's what I wish I could do, but can't. Bummer! So I try to boogie intellectually instead of physically.

---bumblebeeboogie
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:58 pm
You definitely do "boogie", BB
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 05:09 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
Montana; as I've said before, hopefully on some other thread, the spider is one of the best friends you can have since they are insect predators, and an ample supply in your home will be your best insurance against more harmful infestations. However to get used to them the best method is to get very large "blow-ups" of them where their inherent beauty is more evident. And like the bees, leave them alone, and they will guard your corners and crevices quite politely. (Likewise "house centipedes")
And believe me, growing to like spiders is, in no way, "macho"!

I don't think I'll ever get past the fear of them.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 07:57 am
montana; fear is a visceral "gut" resonse to a lack of understanding of something; educating yourself about the offending item is conquering the darkness, and bringing that aspect of reality also into your world of "familiar".

Understanding is protection against the darkness. Laughing
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:18 pm
Thanks BBB, and from here it seems you are indeed boogie'ing!

My first reaction to spiders and bees is to jump and fight/flee, until
I realize that every spider has a name.

Once I really look at it and ask it it's name,
it usually says in a tiny, quivering voice almost so faint that I
actually can't hear it "Henry. But please don't squash me."

Then Henry and I become best friends until I offer him some
tuna and he runs away.

You see, fear is always of the unknown,
and sometimes you just have to pretend to know.

-- The End --
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 11:20 pm
My name is Sue, how do you DO!

http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/images/dangerous/hadronyche.jpg
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 11:43 pm
Crikey, that one is poisonous! Shocked
Run for your lives!!

The only bad ones around here are Black Widows and Brown Recluse, pretty easy to spot. But, dang, did you read that stuff about "Vomiting, tachycardia, muscle fasciculation, myoclonic jerks, sweating, salivation, altered conscious state"? That's one mean nasty ugly spider!

Why is it that most anything that moves in Australia (and half the things that don't) can kill you?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 12:07 am
CodeBorg wrote:
that stuff about "Vomiting, tachycardia, muscle fasciculation, myoclonic jerks, sweating, salivation, altered conscious state"? That's one mean nasty ugly spider!
Quote:

Spider? Who said anything about spiders? That's the normal reaction to drinking this..

http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/nieminen/pics/bundy_700.jpg

After that, anything short of the bite of a Great White is nothing!
0 Replies