When Does Life Begin?

fungotheclown

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:19 pm
First off, I would like to thank mismi40 for actually addressing the issues rather than the wording. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate that considering the track this thread has been going down.

I will concede that the use of the word parasite was not entirely accurate, but it does describe the relationship fairly well.

I still stand by my statement that the fetus is not yet developed enough, even if it does feel pain. I do stuff that causes pain all the time, to things with much more sophisticated nervous systems than fetuses. There have been numerous cases of partially absorbed twins with similarly limited cognitive abilities that have been surgically removed resulting in their death; I'm going to have to see a better argument than "it feels pain" to sell me on this.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:23 pm
Excellent post mismi!
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:28 pm
fungotheclown wrote:
First off, I would like to thank mismi40 for actually addressing the issues rather than the wording. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate that considering the track this thread has been going down.

I will concede that the use of the word parasite was not entirely accurate, but it does describe the relationship fairly well.

I still stand by my statement that the fetus is not yet developed enough, even if it does feel pain. I do stuff that causes pain all the time, to things with much more sophisticated nervous systems than fetuses. There have been numerous cases of partially absorbed twins with similarly limited cognitive abilities that have been surgically removed resulting in their death; I'm going to have to see a better argument than "it feels pain" to sell me on this.

She addressed the point by addressing the word (parasite). Cool
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:38 pm
She said that fetuses feel pain. I said I want more. Bartikus, at this point it seems all you are doing is hindering the conversation; why don't you back out for awhile and read along while the adults talk?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:42 pm
Once again, I suggest that we simply wait for the fetus to be old enough to answer the question for him or herself.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:43 pm
fungotheclown wrote:
She said that fetuses feel pain. I said I want more. Bartikus, at this point it seems all you are doing is hindering the conversation; why don't you back out for awhile and read along while the adults talk?

Sure..go right ahead.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:43 pm
neologist wrote:
Once again, I suggest that we simply wait for the fetus to be old enough to answer the question for him or herself.

Would fungo be old enough gramps? He is an adult you know!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:54 pm
mismi40 wrote:
The fetus has 100% of it's genetic makeup determined already, intentionally moving toward becoming a baby.
False, the fetus does not have the wherefore-all for intentionality.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:00 am
if the fetus is left in the mothers womb will it become a goat? No - it moves progressively toward being a baby, a human. Only natural circumstances such as miscarriage or unnatural means such as an abortion would keep it from being born a human baby...that is pretty intentional isn't it?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:04 am
Your posts are riddled with logical fallacies.

A seed is not a tree.
The fetus does not have the wherefore-all for intentionality.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:31 am
I think I was pretty clear - and fairly logical ..

I think your concern is the fact that I am making it sound like the baby planned to be conceived and is already planning what he wants to do when he gets out of the womb - when in fact, I am just saying that cells are, biologically speaking, growing and the cells and processes that divide and grow are going to become a baby -

need me to remove that emotional element there don't you? Don't blame you - it is HUGE.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:34 am
I'm waiting for one of my study partners to make a scan, so I had a minute. the past few pages have been a failstorm if I've ever seen one.

Bart - Your coach is going to bench you if you don't improve your performance.
Bartikus wrote:
Your links don't indicate a fetus as a parasite...ho hum.

My links don't indicate a list at all, it provides a definition which is qualified by a government site. It provides credibility to the definition that fungo posted of parasite.

Bartikus wrote:
That's the ONLY reason? A human life has no beginning? I'm not sure what your saying. Can you clarify?

Only a MOSTLY parasitic relationship need be established? So a 51% parasitic relationship would constitute a parasite?

Humans and animals have mothers...what parasites do?

Can you provide a link that defines parasites must reproduce asexually?

Bartikus wrote:
So a woman getting an abortion cannot be regarded as a mother....but a mere host?

"mere host?" Who is trivializing motherhood exactly?

Why would this definition only apply to women choosing to abort?

Bartikus wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Sure. Google around a bit, and you'll find plenty of medical & biological descriptions of the foetus as a parasite or it's parasitic relationship to it's mother.

(You'll find plenty of religious sites objecting to the idea too. No surprise there. It gets in the way of their romantic notion of a perfect complete mini-human person from day one.)

Some parasites have mothers, some don't. What does that have to do with anything?

Another example of picking and choosing pitches Diest? lol

Either Eorl was responding to the most recent post of yours (at that time) or he was replying to RL's post. Either way, I'm not sure how he failed to address your questions/points.

You're almost as bad of a pitcher as you are a batter.

Bartikus wrote:
A woman getting an abortion is more a host than a mother?

Why only a woman choosing to abort? Your ability to define things is not very well developed. There's nothing to debate about the mother's role: She is a host. The unborn's exclusive resource for the nutrition and protection is the mother. I could care less about the definition of parasite, but the defintion of host, seems to be a profound piece of evidence as to the mother being the custodian of the rights of the unborn. Their is no other relationship such as this found in nature and because of this, having a specific set of rules for the termination of the lifeform separate from the rules that govern the termination of a born lifeform makes sense. What does not make sense is the government, having the authority to outright restrict the woman's right to choose.

The truth is that if not now, soon science will put this discussion in a whole new dynamic. Women will be able to, in very early stages, remove the embryo/zygote/fetus non-lethally. The removed lifeform could then be cryogenically frozen indefinately.

What would the pro-lifers do? Would you support this non-lethal abortion alternative? Your answer reveals your true priority. however, I've come to not expect answers from you.

Bartikus wrote:
I don't consider women hosts....you did...when you called the unborn parasites. Your missing the point.

But I can call them hosts? Thanks.

I DO consider pregnant women hosts, and I don't care to refer to the unborn as a parasite, just the nature of the relationship. It's the host part that should be elaborated on. It's the host part that qualifies her and her alone the right to choose.

fungotheclown wrote:
Barticus, have you just been missing my posts? Or do you not have a response to my arguments? Because the more you harp on that single word from my post, the more it looks like you don't have a response to the rest of them. Cowboy up.

History repeats itself.

Bartikus wrote:
I have'nt read much of your arguments. Sorry. You have'nt responded much to my counter claims so don't feel bad.

On the contrary, your arguments have been monopolizing this thread for pages. By no stretch of the imagination have your points gone unanswered.

mismi40 wrote:
As far as being a parasite - ...

I'm not going to cut and paste the whole thing, but your source makes a very science based argument. A good one in fact.

The source however says little to discredit that the woman is a host. I think that the hetrogenous/homogenius species fact is a great case to not define the unborn as a parasite, however, I still don't think it is unfair to refer to the mother as host, nor to make a reference to the unborn as a parasite when drawing an analogy. Recall that fungo made this relation to argue RL's post.

Example: I believe that a "seed is not a tree." This arguement makes an analogy to the unborn and a seed. It does not make the statement that "the unborn are factualy tree seeds." Bart, is attempting to derail this conversation by demanding that Fungo's post argues things it does not. Fungo is making a philosophically sound argument, and Bart is playing word games.

T
K
O
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:43 am
You know TKO - speaking of the emotional issue - "mother" can be considered the origin or source - so....

are you saying that only when the "host" or "mother" desires the "fetus" that then and only then are we to attach the more emotional terminology of "baby" and mean Mother as something other than just the origin or source? Because it sure would make it easier to terminate something if you didn't believe it had emotional value.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:50 am
mismi40 wrote:
need me to remove that emotional element there don't you? Don't blame you - it is HUGE.

I geniunely belive you when you say it. I'd encourage you to keep your emotion there for your own choices. however if you came to this thread to argue for making abortion illegal, you'll have to be more objective and your emotional argument has no place in law.

For law you would need to provide to things.
1) How an individual's abortion, affects societal order.
2) Establish that government has authority that superceeds the mother's medical rights.

For 1, you'll have to define what cases would be acceptions to that rule, and define those cases as to not violate 2. For 2, you'll need describe the appeals process, and justify that the appeals process would not violate 2 either.

Pro-life makes sense as a personal belief. It just doesn't hold any water as a legal philosophy.

Go be pro-life with the choices you make, but don't forget that choosing to keep a child is a choice as well. Pro-choice is actually the moderate argument. "Pro-abortion," a word tossed around in this thread wildly would be the polar extreme of pro-life. Pro-abortion, would be the stance that some women should be forced to have abortions despite their desire to choose to keep a child. When you realize that pro-choicers aren't trying to kick in doors and abort wanted babies, it kind of puts a perspective on things.

I have a lot of emotions about abortion as well. I feel they can be done for the right reason. This doesn't mean that I think that all abortions are done for the right reasons. But it's not my place to defend either the right or wrong choices of individuals. I am only compelled to defend the right to choose for yourself.

T
K
O

T
K
O
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 12:59 am
Well good grief TKO...all I am trying to do is determine when life begins...what? you think I am a lawyer ?(HA)....if that was the case and I was - you would be in deep doo doo. Because I am sure I could do what you asked if I understood what it meant. As it is - I am up past my bedtime...good night - hanging up the thinking cap... :wink:
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:03 am
mismi40 wrote:
You know TKO - speaking of the emotional issue - "mother" can be considered the origin or source - so....

are you saying that only when the "host" or "mother" desires the "fetus" that then and only then are we to attach the more emotional terminology of "baby" and mean Mother as something other than just the origin or source? Because it sure would make it easier to terminate something if you didn't believe it had emotional value.

what you've described is what I believe is the mother giving those right's to the unborn. I believe the point in which the unborn is choosen to come to term is the beginning of personhood, because it is at that point that the woman begins investing in the unborn's identity. It is also (for most) the point in which the woman begin's investing in her own identity as a "mother." I thin these choices are very profound, and it's one of the reason's I think choice must be protected.

I don't think protecting choice means that the abortions system can't be improved though. You can't blame the pro-choice camp for holding every inch, because the pro-life camp would take a mile.

Look into the supreme court ruling on partial birth abortion. The majority of americans, both pro-choice and pro-life were in agreement on this issue, with a small sum of individuals who were against it. The pro-choice lobby is ready to move towards comprimise and what happens?

The supreme court sites in it's ruling PAS (post abortion syndrome) as a part of the ruling. In the same ruling, it even states that PAS is not scientifically substanciated.

Despite this ruling going in your favor, are you okay with the ruling opening up the door for non-truth? This is a serious question. independant of what you believe, shouldn't our nation's court system be objective? What does this ruling say for the credibility of future rulings? Will other non-truths be given false credibility?

You give and inch, and someone tries to take a mile.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:07 am
mismi40 wrote:
Well good grief TKO...all I am trying to do is determine when life begins...what? you think I am a lawyer ?(HA)....if that was the case and I was - you would be in deep doo doo. Because I am sure I could do what you asked if I understood what it meant. As it is - I am up past my bedtime...good night - hanging up the thinking cap... :wink:

Despite not being a lawyer, I'd honestly like you to think about trying.

After the thinking cap, don't forget the nightcap :wink: .

T
K
Oyasuminasai (goodnight)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 02:02 am
mismi40,

Your claim that you were "pretty clear - and fairly logical" is not only specious but unsubstantiated.

In addition, the majority of the content of your latest post is simply more logical fallacies, inclusive of the Straw Man logical fallacy as per your claim of what you think my concern is.

If you intend to dialog intelligently you will need to be able to dialog with logicality, congruency and empiricism. Unfortunately you have not shown these abilities to much extent.

I suggest you start with learning how to define your terms and understanding and thus hopefully avoiding the larger pitfalls of logical fallacies.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 02:25 am
Diest TKO wrote:
what you've described is what I believe is the mother giving those right's to the unborn. I believe the point in which the unborn is choosen to come to term is the beginning of personhood, because it is at that point that the woman begins investing in the unborn's identity. It is also (for most) the point in which the woman begin's investing in her own identity as a "mother." I thin these choices are very profound, and it's one of the reason's I think choice must be protected.

So by her choice to carry to term (her choice alone to make) she becomes a mother and then and only then, the unborn is given the rights of personhood? That sound right TKO?
0 Replies

McD123

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 02:34 am
how bout now............
0 Replies