When Does Life Begin?

baddog1

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:26 am
Tired of bantering over non-related issues on abortion thread(s) and would like to discuss a very simple question.

When does life begin for humans?

Caveat: Only talking about humans. (No chickens, butterflies, duck-billed platypus(es), flowers, T-rexes, etc.)

My belief: At conception. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 98,964 • Replies: 3,345
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:46 am
Physically at conception. Once those cells start dividing it is a living thing.
Spiritually at birth.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 10:27 am
Cool avatar, baddog. I don't remember seeing it before.

What are your standards for truth in this discussion? Or is it to be simply a sharing of beliefs?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 11:03 am
neologist wrote:
Cool avatar, baddog. I don't remember seeing it before.

What are your standards for truth in this discussion? Or is it to be simply a sharing of beliefs?

Thanks neo for comp. on avatar. I cannot take credit for creating it - however it fits me pretty well!

As to this discussion - either way is fine with me. I definitely prefer "the truth", (see below), however many have a personal-agenda and therefore feel the truth is subjective, regardless of long-accepted standards. (Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Bible, etc.)

My personal standards for truth - I tend to default to traditional dictionary-definitions, the scriptures and a good dose of deductive reasoning.

BD1
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 09:46 pm
Re: When Does Life Begin?
baddog1 wrote:

Retirement

P
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 11:35 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Physically at conception. Once those cells start dividing it is a living thing.

Agreed. An obvious biological fact that is generally lost on the pro-abortion crowd.

And if one were an atheist, (and didn't believe there was a spiritual component to man i.e. man is only a biological/physical being, nothing more than a smart animal ), it would follow that, as far as the atheist is concerned , all of life begins at conception, wouldn't it?

But for the rest of us, the second part has relevance:

Sturgis wrote:
Spiritually at birth.

Interesting that you draw a distinction. Based on what?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 12:37 am
Just about everyone starts their autobiography with "I was born on …." I'd say that is pretty conclusive evidence that for human beings, life effectively begins at birth.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 12:49 am
For those who think that life begins with conception, what about sperm and unfertilized eggs which contain equally unique human DNA and are just as much alive and capable of growing into a human being under the right conditions? What about all of the other cells in an unbroken chain of existence stretching back to the earliest hominids. In that sense life began for each of us millions of years ago.

A fertilized egg is not a human being any more than an acorn is an oak tree. It is nothing more than a set of instructions which are often flawed: 2/3 of eggs fail to implant and develop and another 15% end in spontaneous miscarriage, about half due to genetic defects. The egg can also split several days after conception and grow into multiple embryos.

So when do we decide that a new human life exists? When the fetal heart starts beating, when brain activity begins, when an infant takes its first breath, opens its eyes and interacts with other human beings, when it is named and formally accepted into the community? You could make a case for any of those.

IMO, life begins for humans when they become aware of their own existence. A human being is not present prior to 24 weeks of gestation (when the fetal brain has developed to the point that consciousness MIGHT be possible) and may not actually come to exist for several weeks after that. Life is a process, not a point.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:07 am
Terry wrote:
For those who think that life begins with conception, what about sperm and unfertilized eggs which contain equally unique human DNA and are just as much alive and capable of growing into a human being under the right conditions? What about all of the other cells in an unbroken chain of existence stretching back to the earliest hominids. In that sense life began for each of us millions of years ago.

A fertilized egg is not a human being any more than an acorn is an oak tree. It is nothing more than a set of instructions which are often flawed: 2/3 of eggs fail to implant and develop and another 15% end in spontaneous miscarriage, about half due to genetic defects. The egg can also split several days after conception and grow into multiple embryos.

So when do we decide that a new human life exists? When the fetal heart starts beating, when brain activity begins, when an infant takes its first breath, opens its eyes and interacts with other human beings, when it is named and formally accepted into the community? You could make a case for any of those.

IMO, life begins for humans when they become aware of their own existence. A human being is not present prior to 24 weeks of gestation (when the fetal brain has developed to the point that consciousness MIGHT be possible) and may not actually come to exist for several weeks after that. Life is a process, not a point.

Do you feel that an infant is aware of its own existence?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:08 am
Re: When Does Life Begin?
Pauligirl wrote:
baddog1 wrote:

Retirement

P

BRAVO!!! :wink:
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:34 am
real life wrote:

Sturgis wrote:
Spiritually at birth.

I essentially base this on an inner sense. My belief is that up until the moment of birth there is merely a group of living cells which have grown and grown into a possibly viable creature. At the moment of birth a spirit or a soul enters the body and coming with that are certain attributes which will later be evident. To some degree this can be seen in 3 children raised in the same home who each have different personality from birth. How else can it truly be explained that one child will cry and be fussy from day one, another is always silent and the third is only occasionally set off by what is happening? (Extra points if you can figure out which of those 3 I was) Three children with the same parents and the same surroundings and each with a distinct personality. A personality is not seen in an image shown through ultrasound...yes a being is moving around and may react to sound; however, that can be attributed to nerve endings and the such...all living things react to stimuli, it does not indicate a spiritual existence. With that in mind I come to the conclusion that spiritual or inner soul life begins at birth, not a second before.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 07:38 am
Sturgis wrote:
real life wrote:

Sturgis wrote:
Spiritually at birth.

I essentially base this on an inner sense. My belief is that up until the moment of birth there is merely a group of living cells which have grown and grown into a possibly viable creature. At the moment of birth a spirit or a soul enters the body and coming with that are certain attributes which will later be evident. To some degree this can be seen in 3 children raised in the same home who each have different personality from birth. How else can it truly be explained that one child will cry and be fussy from day one, another is always silent and the third is only occasionally set off by what is happening? (Extra points if you can figure out which of those 3 I was) Three children with the same parents and the same surroundings and each with a distinct personality. A personality is not seen in an image shown through ultrasound...yes a being is moving around and may react to sound; however, that can be attributed to nerve endings and the such...all living things react to stimuli, it does not indicate a spiritual existence. With that in mind I come to the conclusion that spiritual or inner soul life begins at birth, not a second before.

Sturgis:

So you consider these images to show only the "possibility of a viable creature"?

http://www.fetal-surgery.com/fs-pics.htm

And there is no possibility that the "group of living cells" shown in those photographs may have a soul?

Hmmm!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:14 am
When does life begin?

Once the divorce is final!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:22 am
The legislatures have determined when life ends, baddog, but not when it begins. For me, it is when that first breath is taken.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:51 am
Sturgis wrote:
. . . all living things react to stimuli, it does not indicate a spiritual existence.

Nothing indicates a spiritual existence.

(Well..... except for an "inner sense", perhaps) Smile
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:25 am
Terry wrote:

Life is a process, as you say. Would consciousness not also be a process?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 11:36 am
baddog1 wrote:
Terry wrote:

Do you feel that an infant is aware of its own existence?

Excellent point, baddog1.

And we could add , what about someone in a coma? Are they not 'alive' simply because they may be unaware?

As to Terry's question about sperm and egg, it has been answered many times.

Neither the sperm nor the egg have 46 chromosomes. They have 23. It is only when they join together that you have an entity with the human # of chromosomes, 46.

Terry says that 'life is a process, not a point.'

Unfortunately, the law defines a point at which human life is protected and a point at which it is not. So , simply leaving a fuzzy 'process' as a reference point does nothing to define when life must or must not be protected by law.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 11:46 am
If 46 chromosomes is the standard then did I kill life when I got my hair cut last night? Certainly I denied cells with 46 chromosomes the chance to continue to live.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 12:20 pm
parados wrote:
If 46 chromosomes is the standard then did I kill life when I got my hair cut last night? Certainly I denied cells with 46 chromosomes the chance to continue to live.

I don't see where anyone inferred that 46 chromosomes is the standard of life. 46 chromosomes could be considered one of the requirements for human life; however unless I'm missing something - that's a far-cry from the standard.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 12:28 pm
Letty wrote:
The legislatures have determined when life ends, baddog, but not when it begins. For me, it is when that first breath is taken.

Fair enough Letty - thanks.

I have to ask though (based on your description & belief) - the body connected to the hands & arms shown in the photo's referenced earlier - is it dead? Half-alive? Not being a smart-a$$ here, just trying to understand what condition that little being is in.
0 Replies