When Does Life Begin?

parados

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 12:51 pm
Historically, human life has always began at birth. Rights are granted at birth in all the political treatises. Most laws are based on birth being the defining factor.

Pregnancy used to be a process where you couldn't count on a child until they were born and drew their first breath. Modern medical practices have changed all that.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:58 pm
Sturgis, Letty - rebuts??? Confused
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 06:03 pm
baddog1 wrote:
parados wrote:
If 46 chromosomes is the standard then did I kill life when I got my hair cut last night? Certainly I denied cells with 46 chromosomes the chance to continue to live.

I don't see where anyone inferred that 46 chromosomes is the standard of life. 46 chromosomes could be considered one of the requirements for human life; however unless I'm missing something - that's a far-cry from the standard.

Probably a bad idea. Some people are born with more than 46 chromosomes. Some people are born with less.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 06:05 pm
Re: When Does Life Begin?
baddog1 wrote:
Tired of bantering over non-related issues on abortion thread(s) and would like to discuss a very simple question.

When does life begin for humans?

Caveat: Only talking about humans. (No chickens, butterflies, duck-billed platypus(es), flowers, T-rexes, etc.)

My belief: At conception. :wink:

In the Mind.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:50 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Physically at conception. Once those cells start dividing it is a living thing.
Spiritually at birth.

Very interesting answer sturgis. I'm curious where you got this idea from?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:19 pm
Pauligirl has it spot on! It's "retirement."
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:33 pm
I don't think life begins at all. Life has to be sustained from the time the sperm and egg are created in each parent through to the death of the individual, hopefully after they have had the chance to pass life on again.

You can't really say a foetus or a sperm are not "alive".

It doesn't really change much in the abortion debate however. Each of us kill millions of living things every day without even trying.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:06 pm
EorI, Isn't it interesting, though, that we kill living tihngs all the time that are full of life, but the only thing that increases consternation is the destruction of embryos. I think the latest estimates of our troops killing innocent Iraqis is 30,000 humans, but one embryonic stem cell is more precious!
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:12 pm
I like where you're coming from, Eorl.

I see a big difference between causing harm, intentionally, and causing harm, unintentionally. I don't suppose it matters much to the ant that I stepped on, whether or not it was intentional, but . . .

Anyway, I like what you said about life. I don't think it "begins", either.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:14 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
EorI, Isn't it interesting, though, that we kill living tihngs all the time that are full of life, but the only thing that increases consternation is the destruction of embryos. I think the latest estimates of our troops killing innocent Iraqis is 30,000 humans, but one embryonic stem cell is more precious!

Not to mention the 40,000 or so who die every year on US highways.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:18 pm
echi, So you equate people getting killed on the freeways with our troops killing innocent Iraqis. Good show!
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:54 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
echi, So you equate people getting killed on the freeways with our troops killing innocent Iraqis.

I am agreeing with you that, to a large degree, our respect for living things is superficial.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:27 pm
Oh, sorry 'bout that! I misread your intent. Wink
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:51 pm
Eorl wrote:
I don't think life begins at all. Life has to be sustained from the time the sperm and egg are created in each parent through to the death of the individual, hopefully after they have had the chance to pass life on again.

You can't really say a foetus or a sperm are not "alive".

It doesn't really change much in the abortion debate however. Each of us kill millions of living things every day without even trying.

The problem is, of course, that you draw little distinction between human life and animal life.

And you do not consider unborn or even newborn children to be human beings.

So when you claim to 'respect life', you do not mean the same thing by it that most others would understand by the term.

You do not respect HUMAN life, insomuch as you do not think the life of the unborn or even the newborn is human life.

If one were to dispose of a dog in the same manner as humans are aborted each day (i.e. force the dog to inhale saline solution, or slice the dog limb from limb with a razor) , you would be calling for the 'dog abuser' to be jailed, but would vociferously defend the abortionist.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 11:37 pm
What makes human life so special, anyway?

All life exists, ultimately, as food for other life.

The judeo-christian separation of man from nature disgusts me.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 11:54 pm
Most of humankind has progressed beyond this.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:03 am
Doktor S wrote:

This same separation is probably the reason that you are alive or even were born.

So, are you disgusted that you are alive?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:42 am
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

This same separation is probably the reason that you are alive or even were born.

Clueless as usual.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 01:00 am
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

Clueless as usual.

Do you deny that many of your forebearers were born and raised in a Judeo-Christian based society?

And that it was one of the primary reasons that they had children at the time that they did, and made sure they were fed, clothed, educated and protected?

And thus the unique family line which produced you was preserved and enabled YOU to be born?

( for had it not been, then the unique sperm and egg which combined to form YOU would not have joined and the unique individual that is YOU would never have been)

Yes, you owe your very existence to that which you show so much hatred of.

Truly, those of us who have more cause than you to complain of your existence have not done so, but you who have no cause have shown yourself particularly ungrateful.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 01:09 am
Quote:

Do you deny that many of your forebearers were born and raised in a Judeo-Christian based society?

And that it was one of the primary reasons that they had children at the time that they did, and made sure they were fed, clothed, educated and protected?

non sequitur, red herring

Good work captain fallacious.
0 Replies