Michigan - Vote YES on 3!

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:28 pm
Let's get a dove season like most of the other lower 48 states!

They are a federal game bird, Michigan has enough of them to hunt, and it would be a great way to introduce young hunters to wing shooting.

Comon Michigan, show your spirit and send these anti-hunters from D.C. packing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,433 • Replies: 113
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 06:27 pm
This is a test of Michigan's soul. I hope they pass (3).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:17 am
The efforts to defeat proposition 3 have been primarly funded by the HSUS. Here's what they have to say about Michigan's hunting heritage (as well as other states):

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:20 am
As long as those who shoot the animals treat the animal with proper respect - eating the flesh and taking in the spirit of the proud beast - I don't have a problem with hunting at all. In fact, I believe it is a proud part of the Human tradition and an important part of learning how to survive outside of our cushy civilization.

I would vote for (3) if I lived in Michigan. Somehow, I doubt it will be on the ballot here in Cali.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:26 am
Cyclo, don't tell anyone, but CA actually has two dove seasons. That way, if Pacelle and Co. outlaw one, maybe you'll still have the second. Wink

Best thing is just to keep them away from your ballot box altogether.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:37 am
I think there exists a disconnect in the minds of people who are anti-hunting. Not that this is entirely surprising, for when you and I think of hunting there are doubtlessly countless positive experiences which come to mind. But the spectrum of human events must also allow for there to be many negative hunting experiences.

I do remember coming across a buck which had been brought down - with a clean shot to the chest, no less - by some hunter who had been on the lease a couple of weeks before we got there. Found it by the smell. He had taken the rack and cut the heart out, and that was it, because he was apparently too lazy to carry it back to camp. Sickening. Wish I coulda punched that guy in the face.

I think that there are poor experiences with hunting which may put some people off of the entire thing, which is sad. I don't really take any joy in the killing of the animal - I like the chase far better - but I do respect it and make it a part of myself afterwards.

For my dad's birthday this year, I think we are going to chip in and buy him a sweet digital camera with a huge lens on it - maybe we can go photo hunting this year. Not that he's too old or anything... but it would be nice to just get the nice pics instead of having to lug a kill back to camp.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 12:59 pm
1-2-3 Yes!

Oh.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 08:47 pm
I have different take on the iossue of hunting.

There are about 60,000 car/deer accidents each year in Michigan.
These collisions cayse car repairs (I've read it averages around $2,000 dollars per car.) 60,000 collisions X $2,000 = $120,000,000. That's 120 million dollars!!
Forget about property damage. Hundreds of people are injured and several people die each year. I don't know how much the hospitals and medical costs amount to. But it is substantial.

Now where do I differ? Let me background this a bit. There are more deer in Michigan now, than there were in the 18th century. I have no objection to hunting per se, but at who's cost? You might be surprised where the most Car/deer accidents occur. It's in Kent County (Grand Rapids) and one of the suburbs of Detroit.

To come to the point, deer are rats with hooves. We live in a small city of about thirty thousand.. It's impossible to have a a garden or ornamental shrubs. They some times sleep in our backyard. And in very cold weather at the end of winter roam the streets looking for grub.

I'm for decreasing the herd with an open season. Shoot any kind, bucks, does, fawns, whatever. Get it down substantally.

The hunting lobby want's it both ways: Trim the herd, but not too much.
Make it harder to get a buck, but not too hard.

I love venison and like to see the deer in my backyard. Go figore.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 08:13 am
Hunters need to come together and put their silly semantics aside (why are crossbows illegal in Michigan unless you're disabled, for example, and have to plug your shotgun to hunt waterfowl?). If they don't, the antis will take away our hunting rights.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:56 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/Rose_C/PYR.gif
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:03 am
cjhsa proudly holds the dove he shot while the rest of his hunting party can only look on in envy...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40275000/jpg/_40275333_dovebody2.jpg
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:03 am
Is this solicitation within the TOS?

edit - I mean the one before Gus post.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:22 am
Wow, who knew dove hunters dressed so formally for the occasion?

Nice hats.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 11:30 am
Proposition 3 is to get a dove season, right?

So, I'm curious: what kind of equipment do the fishermen and anglers in Michigan carry when they go dove hunting? XXL angling rods?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 11:32 am
Intrepid wrote:

How is it a solicitation when so few people here can actually vote in a U.S. election? Just look around at who's here!

I'm hoping the non-posting loiterers are noticing though.

I would say your obsession with me and constant trolling of my threads could be a violation of the TOS.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 11:58 am
Out-of-state cash flows into Michigan ballot proposal campaigns

10/27/2006, 6:04 p.m. ET

By TIM MARTIN

The Associated Press

Proposal 3 is a referendum on a law to allow mourning dove hunting in Michigan.

A group seeking a "no" vote on the proposal, the Committee to Restore the Dove Shooting Ban, had raised more than $2 million as of Sunday. More than $1.3 million came from the Humane Society of the United States, headquartered in Washington.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:07 pm
You might want to link to the complete article, which demonstrates that out of state financial support in FAVOR of dove hunting is also flowing in.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:09 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

How is it a solicitation when so few people here can actually vote in a U.S. election? Just look around at who's here!

I'm hoping the non-posting loiterers are noticing though.

I would say your obsession with me and constant trolling of my threads could be a violation of the TOS.

Your 2nd sentence seems to override your 1st.

Believe me, I certainly have no obsession with you. The only obsession I have seen is your obsession with guns.

You seem to think that anybody who posts in your threads and does not agree with you is a troll. You have accused others of this as well. You are very much mistaken on that count.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:10 pm
Then GO AWAY.

Can you do that? I doubt it.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:13 pm
One second, let me check...

Nope, this is still A2K, not cj's personal website.

Sorry.
0 Replies