Rot in hell, fun size Heath bars

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:39 pm
They frighten me.

Somehow they remind me of Gus.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:42 pm
I don't remember if I sourced that photo. I'm getting into sourcing photos, no harm to do it, except to bore people, and I'd not like mine just taken. So....

http://www.sagebrushmall.com/jpegs/candycorn.jpg

Easy enough to click on the photo and then click on properties..
unless posters have a third party website.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 09:31 pm
How is Candy Corn Made?

In 1900, it was the job of many men to produce candy corn for eight months of the year.

Sugar, corn syrup and other ingredients were cooked into a slurry in large kettles. Fondant and marshmallow were added to give a smooth texture and bite. The 45-lbs of hot candy was poured into buckets called runners. Men dubbed stringers walked backwards pouring the candy into cornstarch trays imprinted with the kernel shape. It took three passes to make the white, yellow and orange colors. Originally, candy corn was delivered by wagon in wooden boxes, tubs and cartons.

The process of making candy corn is very similar today, but now machines do most of the work. Manufacturers use a method called the corn starch molding process. A tray containing depressions is filled with corn starch. Candy corn is made from the bottom to the top and in three-color passes. First, the depression is filled one quarter full with yellow syrup and allowed to partially set. Next, the orange syrup is added. The mold is then topped off with the white syrup and is cooled. The candy now can gel together. After is it has finished cooling, the trays are emptied and the little candy corns are ready to be eaten.

http://www.candyusa.org/Candy/candycorn.asp

-------------

I'm not crazy about the stuff myself...very chemical tasting, but it is pleasing to the eye.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 02:10 am
2PacksAday wrote:
How is Candy Corn Made?

In 1900, it was the job of many men to produce candy corn for eight months of the year.

Sugar, corn syrup and other ingredients were cooked into a slurry in large kettles. Fondant and marshmallow were added to give a smooth texture and bite. The 45-lbs of hot candy was poured into buckets called runners. Men dubbed stringers walked backwards pouring the candy into cornstarch trays imprinted with the kernel shape. It took three passes to make the white, yellow and orange colors. Originally, candy corn was delivered by wagon in wooden boxes, tubs and cartons.

The process of making candy corn is very similar today, but now machines do most of the work. Manufacturers use a method called the corn starch molding process. A tray containing depressions is filled with corn starch. Candy corn is made from the bottom to the top and in three-color passes. First, the depression is filled one quarter full with yellow syrup and allowed to partially set. Next, the orange syrup is added. The mold is then topped off with the white syrup and is cooled. The candy now can gel together. After is it has finished cooling, the trays are emptied and the little candy corns are ready to be eaten.

http://www.candyusa.org/Candy/candycorn.asp

-------------

I'm not crazy about the stuff myself...very chemical tasting, but it is pleasing to the eye.

So...how do they do the colours?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 11:56 am
Nothing special it seems....artificial flavors and colors....I thought the top, white part, was perhaps made from marshmallow, because it had been mentioned as an ingredient, but marshmallow is used in all the vats for texture and flavor.

It's just colored syrup.

So, who wants to send a case of the stuff to Oz?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:42 pm
Squinney -- When I was in college, a guy who was trying to impress me as badly as I was trying to impress him, started talking about what candy he likes. Somehow, we ended up buying . . . and eating . . . a bag of circus peanuts. It was the enthusiasm of nascent romance. I was pretty sick afterwards.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:46 pm
I make trapezoids of candy corn as well.

OK, while I do not eat peanut M&Ms, I eat the plain and almond ones. In what order do you eat the colors? When they had the tan colored ones, I thought they were ugly, so I ate them first to get rid of them.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:47 am
2PacksAday wrote:

looks like you're up 2packs. Send it to me I'll divvy it up fairly and pass it to the other Aussies.

You can trust me with your candy. Yes you can. *nods*
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:05 am
dadpad wrote:
2PacksAday wrote:

looks like you're up 2packs. Send it to me I'll divvy it up fairly and pass it to the other Aussies.

Never give a marsupial an even break.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:16 pm
Trick or treating has now officially ended here. We had FOUR kids. I now have a wonderful supply of Charleston Chews, Rolos, Tootsie Rolls, Peppermint Patties and Air Heads on hand. The girls can have the Air Heads and I should be on a sugar high for at least a week Very Happy
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:46 pm
I'll trade you some peanut-free Mars bars for some Peppermint Patties Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:19 pm
We had a zillion kids (literally -- 50? I bought a packet of 70 Hershey's thingies [four kinds] and there seem to be about 20). (The 20 left is just about perfect and I'm happy. I always get too much and have a TON of leftovers, I gritted my teeth and kept to one (big) bag this year and figured I could supplement with sozlet's bulging "misc candy" bag if need be. Didn't so the misc bag is in the garbage (there's candy in there from our FIRST Halloween here, I think). She got a ton of loot though, will probably last another year or so.

Almond Joy is good!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:25 pm
dadpad wrote:
3 Packs a day wrote:

Actually, it appears that for now at least, he's up to 3 packs a day.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:30 pm
Oh no! It's 7:30 and I've only had about 5 kids so far. What am I going to do with all this candy? I purposely bought stuff that I don't crave but I did find Dove dark chocolate on sale. I love to have a piece with a cup of strong coffee. Yum!
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:35 pm
Yeah I just noticed the 3 as well....but, nope not that wealthy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:43 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
I'll trade you some peanut-free Mars bars for some Peppermint Patties Very Happy

ooooohhhhhh, I love Mars bars. You have a deal Tai Chi.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:57 pm
Funny, all the kids that came to the door were thrilled to get Mars bars too. I had these really cool chocolate insects too and when you bit into them caramel oozed out. I was the only one impressed Smile -- they were delicious if I do say so!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:21 am
martybarker wrote:
Oh no! It's 7:30 and I've only had about 5 kids so far. What am I going to do with all this candy? I purposely bought stuff that I don't crave but I did find Dove dark chocolate on sale. I love to have a piece with a cup of strong coffee. Yum!

What cha got, MB? I'm a bit short on Peppermint Patties, but we might be able to help each other out. I seem to have a surplus of Charleston Chews.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 09:47 am
Ok, what's a Charleston Chew? I don't think I've ever had that one.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:06 am
Chocolate covered nougat. The vanilla flavor is the only decent one.

http://www.tootsie.com/img/chew.gif

Quote:
The Charleston Chew was originally launched in 1922 by its previous owner, the Fox-Cross Candy Company, and was named after a dance craze in full swing at the time, the Charleston. Currently, Charleston Chew bars are offered in, strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla flavors. Many people still freeze these bars and crack them to enjoy them.

In 1998, Tootsie Roll introduced a bite size Charleston Chew called the Charleston Mini Chews. These smaller pieces deliver the same great taste as the full size vanilla flavored Charleston Chew. The Mini Chews have become irresistibly popular with kids of all ages.
0 Replies