Rot in hell, fun size Heath bars

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:35 pm
I think I told the story of how we were , a number of years ago, taking a ride around the country side and we were stopping at a bunch of Amish general stores and buying some crap at each one. I remember it was before Halloween and we wanted to get candy for the larvae in costumes that we never get because our house is this really old place in the middle of a lonely field and theres nothing around(either that or everybody hated us)
The Amish get barrels of candies from all over the world and then rebag them. Well
We got a series of bags of erotic Gummi Humans doing all sorts of Kama Sutra positions and , it was so hot we hadda stop and attempt some of them. The Amish store had apparently gotten notified by other (not so impressed clients) that they took them off the shelves before we could get back and buy more for our friends.

Bastards have absolutely no senses of style nor humor.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:39 pm
Do you have any left to photo? <snort>

Oh, never mind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:40 pm
Also, I admit to wrong counting. That would have been four segments and three bites, in practice, two...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:52 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I...

would

NEVER

microwave pancakes.

Good grief.

There's good news and bad news about Budapest.

The good news is that there's pancake places all over the place.

The bad news is that they microwave 'em.

Never go there.

(Three of the four I can think of by heart are part of a chain.. and I think that whole chain sprung forth from the one place that I have fond memories of, from when I was here before, nine years ago - a 24/7 pancake place just off Moszkva ter, it was - they baked 'em on the hot round stoveplates, and they were good. Great place to go to with your lady friend late at night. But the place was rather tiny and cramped full, with lines waiting, at all hours of the day - well, night. So I guess they really took off, started a line of these places, where, because they're lazy or cheapskates or I dont know what, they just microwave pre-baked ones. Confused )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:04 pm
My first experience with a microwave...

was when I had a small show of my paintings in the cafe of a government building in Sacramento. Whoever owned the building, the Attorney General's office is there, and on some high floor, the California Arts Council. Thus my show, sponsored by them. Who knows if that is still happening.

Anyway, I was in Sacramento with some friends I was staying with and we went out to various places about town to eat during those days, one being a bagel place, probably the morning of the show hanging.

So, I got my bagel and went over to toast it. I dont' think there was a toaster, but this other thing called a microwave. I set it on a minute and a half, I think... can't remember. What I do remember is that my bagel was now plastic slime.

I tried to eat it but gave up within milliseconds. That I even tried was a function of my total embarassment. That I tried made it worse. It was another eight hours or so before I saw food again... one of those Life is Coffee days. Naturally I say now, whyTF didn't you get another bagel?
Don't remember, but I surmise we were in a hurry.

Point - I don't think bread like products are the best use of microwaves...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:12 pm
In my opinion, the top needs to be sheered off a tad to make the white part a nice trapezoild... (I am sooo kidding)

http://www.sagebrushmall.com/jpegs/candycorn.jpg
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:24 pm
osso, I share your geometrical fixation with candy corn.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 04:46 am
candy corn brings back memories of every bowl in our school full of the ****. I would eat candy corn until I got sick and then , as I got into my teens, I began to hate the stuff, a condition which continues till today.

Candy Corn must be wiped from the planet. It cannot be allowed to be replanted.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 06:16 pm
Laughing Now I have this mental picture of farmers planting rows of candy corn. <giggles>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 06:25 pm
Replanting for the planet, rows of c. corn...

Oh, LordE, don't let them hybridize..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:05 pm
So I'd bought the candy corn a few days before I said anything here. Just got 'em out. Had one.

Hmm.

Brand seems to make a difference. These are Target brand (cheap) and have this weird aftertaste. I usually get Brach's, I think.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:08 pm
And I think of Brach's as cheapo. Not that I know from candycorn brands. Just cheapo in general.

What, now... do we have to make our own candy corn?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:10 pm
Consider the possible layers of goodness... even trapezoidal goodness.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:11 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Consider the possible layers of goodness... even trapezoidal goodness.

You're cracking me up with the trapazoidal mania!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:14 pm
mac11 wrote:
osso, I share your geometrical fixation with candy corn.

What the HELL is "candy corn"?

Is that stuff real, or do they make some sort of sweet to look a bit like (to me very oddish looking) corn?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:16 pm
The pic on the previous page is really it!

It's a candy made to look like little kernels of corn. Well, big kernels of corn. The candies are little but bigger than actual kernels or corn.

And are vaguely triangular.

And therfore really great for building trapezoids. :-D
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:17 pm
This is candy corn. It has nothing to do with the vegetable - except it probably has corn syrup as an ingredient.

(Lovely pic stolen from osso's post on the previous page.)

http://www.sagebrushmall.com/jpegs/candycorn.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:19 pm
sozobe wrote:
The pic on the previous page is really it!

It's a candy made to look like little kernels of corn. Well, big kernels of corn. The candies are little but bigger than actual kernels or corn.

And are vaguely triangular.

And therfore really great for building trapezoids. :-D

How in hell do they make it?

Does it taste at all like sweetcorn, or just sugar?

(Thinking back to how hard it was to get the layers in gin tropicals)

That stuff is mega weird!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:23 pm
I was looking at those indentation thingies in the pic (mine have them, too), and wondering about the how do they make them part. Seems like some kind of a mold? The layers seem to be separate -- you can kinda see how the white part on one at the upper right of the picture (two of 'em at the extreme upper right are pointing at it) is ever-so-slightly coming apart. I like peeling 'em apart, too, one of the many joys of candy corn. White seems to come off of the rest better than the yellow and orange separating.

They're just sweet. Made with honey, and done right they have a creamy, mild flavor that's nice. Not cornish in the least, flavor-wise. It's just a visual thing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:37 pm
Ahhhhhhh, candy corn..

I have a need to tooth it..

and I know I screwed up on my earlier posts re the divisions, as... if I wanted to trim the top, I should have also wanted to level the bottom.

But, never mind.

The candy tastes like plastic in a mildly pleasing way.
0 Replies