Back in the dating market

martybarker

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 09:01 pm
spendius wrote:
You have to be prepared to get your leg up on the lids of the bins round the back of ther pub for real speed dating. Or on the empties crates.

It's not very romantic.

Most women love it in my experience.

Sorry Spendius, I don't roll that way Embarrassed
It's quite insulting for you to suggest it jokingly or not.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:22 am
Look mb-

I was talking about speed dating. Not about you. That idea must be your own. eoe asked about speed dating and doodoo chipped in and then you expressed fairly enthusiastic words on it so I thought I ought to give you an idea what it was so that your enthusiasm didn't carry you away for something you're not ready for.

I was trying to tell you that speed dating wasn't for you.

A compliment I would have thought.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:41 am
Well then I clearly misunderstood what you were saying. But even though I haven't been dating for the past 20 years, I wasn't born yesterday. I think speed dating is what you make of it. For some I think it's just the experience of getting out and meeting other single people. And maybe for others its a way to meet someone to bang for a night.

For me personally, I was in a long term marriage and most of my friends were married couples that were friends through the marriage. Most of whom didn't want to be involved with our divorce, so rather than offer words of support they simply avoided me all together. Therefore, I'm in a position that I not only want to meet some nice single men but I'm open to meet new people in general. I think it could be a fun way to just mingle with single people, both men and women.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 02:10 pm
I think you will be misunderstanding the opposition if you think all they seek is to "mingle" socially but I'll admit I don't know about the US.

The use of the word "nice" should give pause for thought. It might limit you somewhat.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 02:24 pm
spendius wrote:
I think you will be misunderstanding the opposition if you think all they seek is to "mingle" socially but I'll admit I don't know about the US.

The use of the word "nice" should give pause for thought. It might limit you somewhat.

I know what you are saying, I tend to use the word "nice" a lot when describing what I'm looking for. I think in my own mind the word "nice" just is a label that I put on what would be a fine match for me rather than the long description that people may get tired of hearing. I know that my definition of "nice" is diferent from others.

So I'll make you a deal. I like to think of myself as being pretty open-minded. I won't go into it with any expectations. When I finally get signed up to go I'll report back as to what it was like. Spendius, you may be absolutely right and I'd be deeply disappointed.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 03:17 pm
Well mb - "nice" is okay but it is related to need. A plate of steak and kidney pudding, double chips, double mushy peas with gravy and double bread and butter is really nice to a hungry man but it's horrible when he's just had two goes at it.

As your need to find a companion grows, if it does that is, you might be as well revising your standard for "nice". We don't claim to be perfect little angels. At least I don't.

From what I've been told you should beware of the perfect little angels.

The pleasure of having someone around to share TV with and to pilot you along masterfully is nice too.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 05:54 pm
Yeah, I might not be "nice" by some mens definition. Laughing
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 02:11 am
Curious, it appears that I'm fearing committment Confused
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 04:48 am
There is a divorced lady who comes in our pub who expresses a desire to find another partner but says she can't because she is too "choosy".

We all agree that it's a rationalisation of her lack of confidence in herself.

The single life has its attractions you know.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:20 pm
I would love to try speed dating, which does sound like fun. The trouble is that for my age group (59), the slots fill up quickly and I seldom have enough money (the evenings are around $40) or they are too far away.
0 Replies