martybarker

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 09:01 pm
Thanks, I'm learning.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 09:33 pm
Re: Back in the dating market
Roxxxanne wrote:
Rule number one, don't give your phone number, get their phone number.

I've never heard that rule from a woman. If a woman refuses to give her number and wants mine, that's always been a sign of rejection.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 07:00 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

I've never heard that rule from a woman. If a woman refuses to give her number and wants mine, that's always been a sign of rejection.

I agree with Slappy, if I gave a guy my number it meant I liked him and felt enough trust to give him the information.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 07:33 am
Roxxxanne wrote:

Wow. It's been so long, I forgot about that.

During my last few years of dating, I stopped giving out my phone number and insisted on taking the guys' number instead. It gives you more control over the situation, especially if you meet a guy in a bar or a club and you haven't really had an opportunity to talk and don't really know yet if you want to hook up or not. This way, you call him and if you like what you hear, then you proceed. If you don't like what you hear, you toss his number and never have to worry about him hounding you.

Also, if he gives you a cell phone number and/or a work number but not his home number...then you know the deal, right?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 07:59 am
I just felt weird when he came back from the bar with a second drink for me. I wasn't expecting him to buy me a second. My friend and I were actually contimplating checking out a different club down the street. It's just not like me to string someone along and I feel really badly about it.
He called by the way and left a message. I was still at work.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:10 am
Marty, how about telling him you are in the process of splitting with your husband and might have acted too hasty. Explain that you are sorry that you gave him the wrong impression, but now that you had time to think about it you are just not ready to start dating again. Since he seems sincere in liking you, I don't think you should just ignore the call and hope he goes away.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:02 am
Yes, that's good advice. I think I'd appreciate some response if it were the other way around.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 11:47 am
eoe wrote:
Also, if he gives you a cell phone number....but not his home number...then you know the deal, right?

Uhhh...he could be like me and only have a cell number?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 11:56 am
Times have changed, haven't they? Rolling Eyes

So much for any advice from me. I am, as of this moment, officially out of the loop.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 11:58 am
I wouldn't go that far eoe, but since everyone has a cell phone now, and it's much easier to be reached on it vs. a home phone, I don't see how that raises any flags.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 12:02 pm
Well, nowadays it doesn't, but back in my day, before everyone had cell phones and ditched their land lines which seems to be happening more and more, it was the #1 flag raiser.

I don't mind being out of the loop, slappy. But thanks for trying.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 02:49 pm
I'm 59 and have been divorced for about 15 years. I had a short relationship and then a long one and am "single"again.

Today, people go to events with cards. That's right, cards. Mine are pale grey with my name and an email address printed in burgundy. Simple and elegant.

I have given two of those cards to men since I had them printed. Frankly, I wasn't attracted to either, but that's me.

Get some cards printed or do it yourself on your computer.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 03:00 pm
BTW -- I was surprised when my daughter started going to bars to learn that men bought women drinks. I thought that was something quaint from Bogart era movies. No man ever bought me a drink and I have probably been on dates with more than a hundred men . . . more than 200. It may be having grown up in Detroit. I also thought my daughter was bought drinks because she was in Paris at the time.

Who was it that wrote about women buying men drinks, slappy or ebrown? Anyway, Wednesday, I went to an archaeology lecture and actually was hit on by three men. An end to my dry spell! I had no interest in seeing any of them as one is married; another is a bio-anthropologist who works in Africa and is very, very aggressive, and the third, a photojournalist, was just not physically attractive to me (the other two were). So, the photojournalist and I were among the last people at the Harvard Faculty Club, drinking the last of the wine, when the wait staff suggested we get out of their way. We went into the atrium, a bar area, and I ordered coffee. He just sat there, a bit expectedly, so I asked him if he wanted one. He didn't. It wasn't because I was interested in him but because it seemed awkward not to.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 03:24 pm
pom wrote-

Quote:
Get some cards printed or do it yourself on your computer.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to provide, besides the name and e-mail address, a resume of services offered with perhaps a photograph.

That's what they do here in the second-time-round well-heeled brigade. They are too impatient with long protracted negotiations. They get on with it and put it down to experience if it's no good.

They have meetings too in the Golf Club. And trips and stuff. A loose knit lot of about 400 I gather. 30-40 is a well attended affair. One of them comes in the pub a couple of times a week and tells us all about it. He has a glossy brochure. And this is a provincial backwater.

A bit like A2K with meat and gravy.

What they do in cities probably doesn't bear thinking about.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 03:29 pm
Has anyone here tried speed-dating?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 04:21 pm
I've never tried speed dating.

I once had cards made up.

They read "International Man Whore," with my name and cell phone number. The reactions were pretty funny, obviously none positive.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 04:49 pm
I think speed dating would be a kick! I would love to try it at least once.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:01 pm
You have to be prepared to get your leg up on the lids of the bins round the back of ther pub for real speed dating. Or on the empties crates.

It's not very romantic.

Most women love it in my experience.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:43 pm
spendius has experience with women? Shocked
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:49 pm
Surfeited is the word Cal. The cup overflowed.

Like when you have over indulged at a banquet and somebody invites you back for devilled kidneys and liver butties.
0 Replies