Black man, white man and jewish man: racism and comedy ....

stevewonder

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:23 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
stevewonder wrote:
Bruno is passed off as an Austrian but in fact he is portrayed as having affiliations to nazism.

What the hell are you talking about? Point out one skit where Bruno, the gay fashion guy, affiliates himself to nazism.

You're not doing much to back up your claims.

You would know what I am talking about if you watch the freaikin sketch dude!

sheesh!

But just to help you come to terms.........

Quote:

Baron Cohen's third alter ego is Brüno, a gay Austrian fashion show presenter with a Nazi streak,

who often lures his subjects into unwittingly making provocative statements and engaging in embarrassing behaviour, as well as leading them to contradict themselves, often in the same interview. This was once done by Brüno asking the subjects to answer the yes or no questions by saying either "Ach, Ja" for yes or "Nicht Don't Think So" for no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacha_Baron_Cohen
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:22 pm
Your silence says its all............. :wink:

Anway I cant recall if it was Chris Rock or Chapelle who said in a stand up, Sesame street makes kids hate homeless people, because it teaches them to ridicule Oscar the puppet who lives in a trash can, and call him mean.

Wll I think that by logic Rock or chapelle are guilty of making people denegrate black people, with their use of the N. word.

Its real stupid because, Chapelle said, 'who decided the N. word would be demeaning forever?'

Yet this is the same guy who when asked would it be offensive for a white person to use the word to describe black people he says yes.

As all black comedians state that the N. word is out of bounds for non-blacks, which is an acceptance that it is demeaning.

Its one think for blac comedians to demean themselves its quite another if non-blacks are doing it. Ali G as a character's focus is on negative stereo typical tags of urban black culture.

People and even Cohen tries to hide his racism by stating that he is supposed to be a white guy trying to be black, BUT HIS COMEDY IS BASED ON THE stereo typical tags 'WE 'ARE NOT LAUGING AT A WHITE MAN TRYING TO BE BLACK, but at the stereo types of backward ubran culutre assoicated with bad education and drug culture.

Someone asked which comedians do I like well I like Groucho Marx, Woody Allen, Seinfeld, Bill Cosby, Robin Williams and Chris Rock, Richard Pryor when they are not self deprecating.

I dislike Cohen and Chapelle, a racist and a self hater respectively.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 03:06 pm
Steve, you wrote:

"I agree with most of what you have wrote, except you conclude Cohen is not hiding his bigotry, I disagree I think he is "

No one can KNOW what his true feelings are, neither you nor I.

you also wrote:

"People need to scratch the surface of Cohens tactics he is actually trying to denegrate other races"

I deplore racism and discrimination in any form. I think the Ali G characters are intended to heighten awareness of these issues, to show how utterly wrong and immoral they are. As I said, Cohen does this by playing his characters off unsuspecting participants. The humor, for me, comes from the reactions of the people he encounters. In some cases, they are shocked, even offended, which is a good thing. In other cases, they reveal undercurrents of prejudice, which is also a good thing, because often these prejudices come from a natural fear of differences (e.g. race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) and only when we confront our fear of these differences can we come to understand how ill-founded they are.

Honestly, if you are offended by this type of humor, you should not watch. I am offended by the lies and extremist policies of George Bush, and whenever he appears on TV, I change the channel. (Sorry to go off topic.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:52 pm
Quote:
'WE 'ARE NOT LAUGING AT A WHITE MAN TRYING TO BE BLACK, but at the stereo types of backward ubran culutre assoicated with bad education and drug culture.

Says who? Oh, right -- says you. You know what everybody else is laughing at, even though you're not laughing. Okee-doke.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:32 pm
stevewonder wrote:
For those who argue that it is not racism then there is a simple way to evaluate that, if a black, white or chinese comedy created a Jewish character would it be Anti-semitic??

and there you have it.

What do you know from funny, ya bastard

http://www.filmwise.com/contests/contest_06/image_11a.jpg

Eddie Murphy playing Saul in Coming To America
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 08:01 pm
He beat Joe Lewis's ass!
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 05:44 pm
sublime1"][quote="
stevewonder wrote:
For those who argue that it is not racism then there is a simple way to evaluate that, if a black, white or chinese comedy created a Jewish character would it be Anti-semitic??

and there you have it.

What do you know from funny, ya bastard

[/quote]

And you would know what funny is I suppose??

Lets face it Cohen is a talentless racist pile of horse sh*t

PARKINSON SLAMS ALI G

SACHA BARON COHEN
Also see:
SACHA BARON COHEN
ALI G

British talk show host MICHAEL PARKINSON has slammed comedian SACHA BARON COHEN, accusing him of relying on scripts to be funny.

Cohen appeared as his character ALI G on Parkinson's BBC show in 1999 at the height of his popularity - but the veteran host was stunned when presented with a script with Cohen's answer to all his questions.

Parkinson says, "He wouldn't come in unless his answers were scripted. Here was this great comedian who turned out to be a total slave to the autocue.

"It was only the second scripted interview I've done. FRANKIE HOWARD was the first. Everyone called him a great improviser but he even had every 'um' and 'ah' written in his answers on the autocue. It was awful."

22/09/2005 14:14
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 05:55 pm
Borat the arab
Ali G the black illiterate and Bruno the homosexual nazi german...........

This is the blog of a media consultant, she agrees with what I am saying about who the race groups are supposed to be arab and germans.

, it is obvious with two brain cells, the comedy of Cohen is a racial attack on three race groups ( for reasons that are not beyond the imagination) HE DISLIKES INTENSELY AND HAS DECIDED TO DEMONISE THEIR alleged CULTURES TO MAKE THEM BE A SOURCE OF CONTEMPT.
IN THE SAME WAY RACIST NAZIS DENEGRATED WITH STEREO TYPES JEWISH PEOPLE

http://www.jorydesjardins.com/pause/2004/09/this_phenomenon.html

This Phenomenon Called "Ali G"

My boyfriend lost it on me the other day. Apparently I destroyed the sanctity of our Netflix que, putting The Magdelene Sisters ahead of Ali G Disks 1 and 2.

"We were on the waiting list!" he said, breaking into a pout.

"Who the hell is Ali G?" I said.

"He's supposed to be incredible," my bfriend said. Already the degree of expectation was at a level that would never be exceeded by the actual thing. I had said that about The Office, Britain's television equivalent to our Office Space. I rented the first season, and while I appreciate where the creator was going with it, I couldn't stop myself from falling asleep. Subtle humor is a good thing; in fact, I tend to recoil from British slapstick, pee pee/poo poo humor, but sometimes you have to break into utter silliness to keep people engaged.

Both Ali G parts 1 and 2 arrived the next day (cold busted, Jesse!). In fact, my beloved was away on a camping trip when they arrived. I was faced with the dilemma of whether to watch a film before the person who had been building it up, or waiting until we could watch it together. Would watching it be cheating? Not if I saw, perhaps, one skit only.

How to describe this Brit pop phenomenon? Ali G is a comedian of Middle Eastern descent who takes on outrageous assignments as three different characters:

>>>>>>>>a hip-hop Cockney street kid, an Arab fundamentalist sampling the pleasures of the Western world, and a gay German fashion reporter.<<<<<<<

Every show is comprised of a series of skits in which he plays the role of one of his three characters. He chooses American venues to visit and American figureheads to interview, giving his subjects no indication that he is a comedian trying to illuminate the innate absurdity of Yank culture.

The most refreshing thing about Ali G is his ability to remain in character as the tension between him and his subject thickens. Being in an interview with an increasingly perturbed Donald Trump would make anybody break character and say, "Don't be upset, we're totally just ******* around." But no, he continues to play the role of homeboy, pitching the Big Man his latest invention, gloves preventing the wearer from getting sticky while eating ice cream.

The first question I had to ask when I saw the show was, "How did he get these interviews?" Athough some of his subjects are most convinced of their importance, he does get some legitimate celebrity/business/cultural/political figures. It's clear that these people have no idea that Ali G is a comedian trying to elicit a response. As his Arab character interviewing with a dating service, he asks (in appropriate accent), "and if she cheat on me, I crush her?" The interviewer, an attractive female, doesn't even show a hint of surprise as she answers, "You probably don't want to do that."

The episodes of The Ali G Show that I saw were created in 2002. The UK has been holding on to their little secret now for two years, and why shouldn't they? It's so much more fun making fun of the Yanks when they don't know they are being made fun of. But I can only imagine Ali G is nearing the point of saturation, when even the biggest American dorks will know who he is and just smile and nod when he suggests that Welfare should should be based on a seniority system--the longer you're on the more you get paid--as he did with Newt Gingrich, or tell the burly, machismo-stuffed planner of an American Pride event in a slobbery German lisp, "You're very cute."

Very soon, Ali G's calling-card expression--Boyakasha!--will be as ubiquitous as "Whassup!"
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:33 am
Quote:
This is the blog of a media consultant, she agrees with what I am saying about who the race groups are supposed to be arab and germans.

So she's wrong too. BFD. Wrong about "Cockney," too.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 06:09 am
stevewonder wrote:
Borat the arab
Ali G the black illiterate and Bruno the homosexual nazi german...........

Jesus cant you even get the basics right? You just said it yourself in a post right above - Bruno is AUSTRIAN. Being Nazi (leaving aside whether Bruno is) doesnt mean you're German, plenty of those in Austria and elsewhere too.

And the character of Borat is not ARAB. He is Kazakh, they're a TURKIC people.

This has been pointed out to you about two dozen times now. If you cant even get the very most basic facts straight, how do you expect to be taken seriously on anything beyond that?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 06:18 am
stevewonder wrote:
British talk show host MICHAEL PARKINSON has slammed comedian SACHA BARON COHEN, accusing him of relying on scripts to be funny.

Have you ever seen Michael Parkinson?

I think Cohen is a lot funnier personally, Parkinson just makes my toes curl, though I know many think he's funny too.

More to the point though, Parkinson does the very same thing you decry in Cohen. He will play a bigot, expressing all kinds of stereotypes, in order to elicit responses from the people he interviews that will make you laugh or think (or curl your toes, in my case).

Classic example is where he interviewed someone from U2, and in his posh English accent went - "Oh, and I just want to say, I love that song of yours, Sunday Bloody Sunday - dont we all recognize the feeling, you wake up after Saturday night and you think, Sunday, bloody Sunday!"
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 09:12 am
nimh wrote:
Classic example is where he interviewed someone from U2, and in his posh English accent went - "Oh, and I just want to say, I love that song of yours, Sunday Bloody Sunday - dont we all recognize the feeling, you wake up after Saturday night and you think, Sunday, bloody Sunday!"

I wonder, was that scripted, or was it off the cuff?

Anyway, Cohen does have the remarkable ability to make his schtick seem impromptu and extemporaneous, but in reality, every detail of his comedy is pre-planned and scripted right down to the stand-in model he uses for the ass shot in the introduction to his Ali G show.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:27 pm
Well, someone in Kazakhstan gets it - gets how best to react to this kind of thing. The only reasonable response, really.

Quote:
Kazakh official to Borat: come visit

A top Kazakh official has an invitation for the British comedian whose depiction of a homophobic, misogynistic, English-mangling Kazakh journalist has outraged the Central Asian nation.

Come visit.

Deputy Foreign Minister Rakhat Aliyev said in an interview that he understands why Kazakhs are unhappy about Sacha Baron Cohen's character, Borat Sagdiyev.

"But we must have a sense of humor and respect other people's freedom of creativity," Aliyev was quoted as saying by Kazakhstan Today.

"I'd like to invite Cohen here," he said. "He can discover a lot of things. Women drive cars, wine is made of grapes, and Jews are free to go to synagogues." [..]

"It's useless to offend an artist and threaten to sue him," Aliyev was quoted as saying. "It will only further damage the country's reputation and make Borat even more popular."

Mind you, I dont think Cohen will go; he can't, really. Imagine the (admittedly unlikely) possibility that he would be free to go where he want, and allowed to stay with random Kazakhs; considering the Central Asian sense of hospitality, he would doubtlessly be welcomed warmly and elaborately. After that, he'd have a hard time going back and continuing the shtick of Borat as the generic "Other" who can trigger (and mirror) our own prejudices and fallibilities. There'd be too many concrete associations getting in the way; you need a blank slate type for that kind of thing. (Which is why the Deputy Foreign Minister's move is the only smart one.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:44 pm
I wonder if he's popular with the Uzbeks....
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:21 pm
nimh wrote:
Well, someone in Kazakhstan gets it - gets how best to react to this kind of thing. The only reasonable response, really.

Quote:
Kazakh official to Borat: come visit

A top Kazakh official has an invitation for the British comedian whose depiction of a homophobic, misogynistic, English-mangling Kazakh journalist has outraged the Central Asian nation.

Come visit.

Deputy Foreign Minister Rakhat Aliyev said in an interview that he understands why Kazakhs are unhappy about Sacha Baron Cohen's character, Borat Sagdiyev.

"But we must have a sense of humor and respect other people's freedom of creativity," Aliyev was quoted as saying by Kazakhstan Today.

"I'd like to invite Cohen here," he said. "He can discover a lot of things. Women drive cars, wine is made of grapes, and Jews are free to go to synagogues." [..]

"It's useless to offend an artist and threaten to sue him," Aliyev was quoted as saying. "It will only further damage the country's reputation and make Borat even more popular."

Mind you, I dont think Cohen will go; he can't, really. Imagine the (admittedly unlikely) possibility that he would be free to go where he want, and allowed to stay with random Kazakhs; considering the Central Asian sense of hospitality, he would doubtlessly be welcomed warmly and elaborately. After that, he'd have a hard time going back and continuing the shtick of Borat as the generic "Other" who can trigger (and mirror) our own prejudices and fallibilities. There'd be too many concrete associations getting in the way; you need a blank slate type for that kind of thing. (Which is why the Deputy Foreign Minister's move is the only smart one.)

A superb post.
Yes he wont go because like the Nazis and KKK, function on the notion of 'the other' being sub-human it is important they keep their distance from the groups they try to demonise, God forbid they should see the human being they are persecuting.

Like most racist Cohen is a coward, as an Israeli he must be used to refusing to recognising the humanity of other people.

After all that is one of the reasons why Israeli right wingers endorse the apartheid wall it serves to glorify the myth of the evil other.

Cohen is an old school racist 'comedian' I thought they were extinct, I guess not.

When is the last time any non-Israeli had the balls to create a comical stereo type about Israelis? They would be crucified.

Even Cohen has been attacked for being anti-semitc, now that speaks volumes.

People are demanding he does not denegrate anti-semites because that is anti-semitic....BUT ITS OK FOR HIM TO PORTRAY GERMANS AS NAZIS, AND ARABS AS SCREWED UP AND BLACKS AS UNEDUCATED ILLIITERATES.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:52 pm
I'd love to see him do some satire on Jews. It'd be hilarious.

Where is this anger coming from, stevewonder? For whatever reason you have chosen to focus on this Sasha Cohen guy. And you don't like Chappelle.

I don't own a lot of comedy, but have 2 seasons of Chappelle in boxed set. He really does cram the racial jokes a-plenty, sometimes funny sometimes creating some interesting reactions (in me and others). It's open to interpretation, like anything. Make it a big deal and it is. I enjoy seeing him using his free speech so well, regardless.

The 'Tyrone' character of his is one of my favorites. I really, really liked the one where he checks out whether white people can dance, and the different people respond to the different instruments. Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 06:41 pm
flushd wrote:
Where is this anger coming from, stevewonder?

I have the impression its got more to do with Israel than with Sascha Cohen...
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:04 pm
Nimh, that was my feeling too.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 09:37 pm
I heard Sacha Cohen actually operated the ovens they shoved the Jews into.

Don't tell anyone, but Stevewonder filled me in on that tidbit.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:56 am
nimh wrote:
flushd wrote:
Where is this anger coming from, stevewonder?

I have the impression its got more to do with Israel than with Sascha Cohen...

Well, you know that, to a man, all Israelis support genocide.

Babies too.
0 Replies